Exhaust Smell in Golf---HACK!!!

dparnell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
For the last month or so I have been getting the acid exhaust smell in my Golf. Thought it must be getting in from the rear hatch. Adjusted the lock bar all the way down---you really have to slam it now. Smell still comes in unless I close the sunroof and let fresh air in---even with fresh air on smell still comes in with s/r open. Anybody have any ideas???

landrumdh

Veteran Member
TDI
landrumdh
maybe there is a hole in your exhaust system somewhere in your engine compartment, and it's comming in through the air vents?

Just a thought. Try putting your car into recirulation mode, and open the S/R to fresh the car up, then close it. See if the smell keeps comming.

dparnell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Thanks, that's a good idea. I guess I'm going to have to go over the whole exhaust system. I don't know if the smell changes much after going thru the cat/c---but that's what it smells like. @26K, and living on a rough dirt road, something could have come loose.

VW Vet

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GL TDI, 2001
Would having the sunroof open cause the car to have lower pressure inside? If it does, the exhuust could be coming in at the rear air outlets under the tail lights, under the plastic bumper trim. I have been wondering why the tailpipes don't exit aft of the bumper trim. Seems like they should.
Just a thought.

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
Have a good look at the exhaust manifold and downpipe area, that is near the air intake for the interior.

Moo Car

Veteran Member
Do you have a ccv bypass? If not check to see if your ccv is loose or fell off. Mine smells like exhaust.

dparnell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
VW Vet, I think you might have hit it!!! I didn't know about the rear air outlets. I had replaced the bulb in my right rear tailight but forgot to put the gasket back in---didn't think it made any difference. My idea all along was to keep the air pressure up to keep the exhaust out---not knowing where it came from.