Looking for Toureg TDI

Waykooljr

TDI
2009 TDI Stock with 6spd manual
Want to add to my VW nest. Looking for a Touareg TDI. any advice or things I should be looking out for? Probably will do a Malone tune and complete exhaust rebuild like my Jetta.

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
Found one on a national used cars site. Try them. If you can find CPO, that's to your advantage. Emissions warranty will cover many things for a long time if you find one with low mileage. Be aware, it's not a Jetta; repairs will cost a lot. They drive and tow really well and usually have a nice complement of features to make you feel cushy.

casioqv

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Touareg TDI
They'll all have the post-fix warranty, so you might want to hold off on the mods until the warranty is over. I just bought an '09 post buyback/fix last month, and love it. I tried the T2 V6 TDI (09/10) and the T3 (2011+), and personally liked the looks, ergonomics, and features of the T2 much better. The transmission and fuel economy aren't as good, but the T2 has a very low low range, and I think it's often really nice to be able to drive very slowly offroad or moving trailers around.

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Highline Touareg TDI
do not wait for the emission warranty to run out...plenty of people are having to pay for issues either they call it service fees...or labour isnt covered....and second the crap is terrible for the engine and the sooner that garbage is taken out the better the engine is...for reliability and longevity...not to mention runs a ton better.

I went t3 for a lot of reasons...the interior is tons nicer the panoramic sunroof is beautiful...the navigation and media stack is way nicer, way better mpg and trans...i like the body styling much better as well. You really dont lose all that much without low range with how low first is in the 8spd and the tq of the tdi....I have no issues on or off road.

Id love a real t1 with a 3.0 tdi and 8spd....by real i mean rear locker and air....since that dont exist...im making the best t3 for my needs...lifted and big tires.

If your going to own a 3.0 tdi do make sure you remove BOTH egr coolers, if they fail you will lose an engine. Again go malone tuned and deleted asap. I bought my touareg without any warranty because all that crap was coming out 2nd week i owned it...what a difference let me tell you

casioqv

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Touareg TDI
You really dont lose all that much without low range with how low first is in the 8spd and the tq of the tdi....I have no issues on or off road.

I'm sure the T3 is great offroad and has a quite low 1st gear, but the crawl ratio of the T1/T2 is an insanely low - 50.3:1, much lower than a T3.

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'm sure the T3 is great offroad and has a quite low 1st gear, but the crawl ratio of the T1/T2 is an insanely low - 50.3:1, much lower than a T3.
Yah im well aware...and out of the 500 touaregs sold a year in north america...maybe 10 will ever actually need low range

Fourdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Touareg V10 TDI
Yah im well aware...and out of the 500 touaregs sold a year in north america...maybe 10 will ever actually need low range
You are correct - but if everyone only got what they need when they really needed it, they wouldn't have it when they need it! 'You pays your money and you takes your choice'

casioqv

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Touareg TDI

Yes, they're from the golden age of serious offroad vehicles that ended up getting used as minivans... I'd bet most of the people that ended up with the V10 TDIs with rear locker and air suspension don't have a clue what those features/buttons were even for. I have a friend with a fully loaded Land Cruiser rebaged as a Lexus and she hasn't a clue what the diff locks, low range, or hydraulic suspension are...

I haven't found the low range very useful for mild offroading yet, but I use it every week for maneuvering my sailboat trailer. It's a lot more relaxing being able to just idle around at a slow walking speed, especially in reverse.

Last edited:

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yes, they're from the golden age of serious offroad vehicles that ended up getting used as minivans... I'd bet most of the people that ended up with the V10 TDIs with rear locker and air suspension don't have a clue what those features/buttons were even for. I have a friend with a fully loaded Land Cruiser rebaged as a Lexus and she hasn't a clue what the diff locks, low range, or hydraulic suspension are...

I haven't found the low range very useful for mild offroading yet, but I use it every week for maneuvering my sailboat trailer. It's a lot more relaxing being able to just idle around at a slow walking speed, especially in reverse.
Dont get me wrong id love low and front and rear lockers....id actually use them, but just not possible..even to find a tdi with either locker aside from v10 in north america

Now having said that, the auto lockers in the t3 are impressive....and i fully plan a trip end of summer to some trails and do some pretty serious offroad and film it all to show how good a t3 can be when its setup. Will it be as good, likely not...will it go further than 99% of people would want to try...i believe so...i know even stock its super capable.

casioqv

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Touareg TDI
Now having said that, the auto lockers in the t3 are impressive....

Agreed... my 2yo son and I have watched nearly all of the Touareg off road videos on youtube together. The EDL is nearly as good as real lockers, as long as people know to let it slip so it can transfer torque. Lots of people seem to think they are stuck because they let off the throttle as soon as it slips.

I think this type of traction control gets a bad rap, because the first cars that had it like the MB W163 ML350 had a fully open center diff, plus an engine lacking low end torque, plus a relatively weak braking force. They couldn't deliver enough torque to a single wheel to push the vehicle up a steep climb. With the TDI Touaregs enormous torque off idle and advanced transfer case, even with EDL there's enough torque at the wheel to push the vehicle up any possible slope.

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Agreed... my 2yo son and I have watched nearly all of the Touareg off road videos on youtube together. The EDL is nearly as good as real lockers, as long as people know to let it slip so it can transfer torque. Lots of people seem to think they are stuck because they let off the throttle as soon as it slips.

I think this type of traction control gets a bad rap, because the first cars that had it like the MB W163 ML350 had a fully open center diff, plus an engine lacking low end torque, plus a relatively weak braking force. They couldn't deliver enough torque to a single wheel to push the vehicle up a steep climb. With the TDI Touaregs enormous torque off idle and advanced transfer case, even with EDL there's enough torque at the wheel to push the vehicle up any possible slope.
agreed...i really hope to do some filming and show what a t3 can do this summer...the t3 doesnt get any good credit anywhere but i think with proper tires and driver it can do quite a bit, were going to see anyway. Should be on 33s or 35s soon..maybe a bigger lift yet to come