A-3 Alternator / V. Regulator

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
Has anyone replaced the voltage regulator (VR) (028-903-803-D) on their alternator ?
Anything I need to know ...tips or insights ?

Also ...any info on symptoms indiacting failure?

A question...what amps is on the A-3 TDI alternator:
70A= 028-903-025-H
90A= 028-903-025-Q
120A= 028-903-025-S

TIA
Herm

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Every A3 TDI that I've seen has the 120-amp alternator.

Voltage regulator is built into the alternator. I have not touched this, although with 376,000 km on what I'm sure is the original alternator, it's a concern area ...

Bad voltage regulator could cause the "battery" icon to stay on or flash intermittently while the engine is running, or it could cause the output voltage to be outside the allowable range. I don't know how you would distinguish between voltage-regulator failure and any failure of some other part of the alternator - end result is the same since the regulator is inside: the alternator needs to come out and come apart to get fixed!

rgiallom

My battery was consistently boiling over (eventually eating through power steering fluid reservoir) and I replaced the regulator and put in an Optima battery ($120). I pulled the alternator out which was a real pain, then had a shop replace the regulator and test($75). No problems since (maybe 20K ago). If I had to do it again, I would try and change the regulator in place. I think it could be done.