Passat TDI 2.0 injector or turbo?

Sanderson86

TDI
2012 Passat 2.0 TDI tech sport
Hi Tdiclub!

I have perhaps rushed too quickly into buying a car I've wanted for a long time. Picked up a 2012 Passat TDI 2.0 tech sport 4 weeks ago with 89k miles on the clock. Yes with the "fix".

Noticed a very odd noise which is loud enough to echo off buildings when driving in town. No obvious performance issues other than 35-40mpg.

Took it back and they couldn't work it out and thought maybe timing belt? Changed it and the sound is still there but the garage said it was up to me to decide whether the sound was still there. My thoughts were injector but took it to an independent mechanic who with a visual / sound inspection thinks it could be the turbo (I was passing and couldnt leave the car there). Got it booked back in with the dealer on Thursday as I have warranty cover. Some times hesitate on ignition and stalls even when warm but only happens 3-4 times.

Anyone got any thoughts?

https://youtu.be/qT2qCdIFzJA

Thanks in advance

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Just food for thought, we don't have the B7 over here, we just have the NMS, the engine you have is most likely different than anything we've ever seen.

From my limited experience, turbos scream/cry when they start to go, I have no idea if an injector makes an different sound if it goes by, but I do know if they stick open, your piston is going to be in a wold of hurt.

Describe the sound, if the car is cold our piezo/solenoid injectors can be quite loud.

Sanderson86

TDI
Thanks 740lge. I've posted a link to a YouTube video which shows the issue I'm having. Does it work?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
i don't youtube at work, I'll check after.

Sanderson86

TDI
Hey guys, I'm taking my car to garage tomorrow morning, anyone's opinion on the video would be appreciated. Cheers Paul