Auto Polar FIS+ Advance (MBV in the MFD) OEM+

vw_norm

Gone, but not forgotten.
TDI
2012 NMS TDI SEL Platinum Gray w/moonrock
^ welcome to the club Norm!

The "AudBlue tank" parm. keeps telling me 77.0 or 76.9, since I got the PF03, I suspect it's reading the wrong MBV. Does anyone know what MBV channel shows the current tank level? Also, what MBV channel shows oil pressure.

Trying to get AdBlue tank reading fixed and add oil pressure.
The Spaniards are on it for sure. I got the shipping notification this morning - so less than 3 hours from order to ship. Amazon - beat that!

Boy, the Euro must have gone up in value (and/or the Dollar down) in the last month of two. Mine came out to be only about $315 (with 10% discount and PayPal fee also). Since the price is in Euros what we pay on this side of the pond can vary a lot. You will like it.

One thing to know (in case you are not a manual reader). When the PolarFIS is using the diagnostic bus (the best way to read boost), you do not want to try to use VCDS while the PolarFIS+ is active (on your MFD). Our CAN bus is not smart enough to handle two different computers using the same bus at the same time. Always switch back to the standard VW MFD screen before trying to use VCDS.

Have Fun!

Don
Yes - timing foreign purchases is key, but I wasn't about to wait! I already see that comm conflict with scan gage as I have a Y cable installed and it is always plugged in so the diagnostic port is always free.

My total was $10 less and ordered within a day of yours -- difference in shipping between CA and HI maybe?
Not really, as there was only one DHL ship option outside of the EU. More likely the exchange rate. It's coming over 12K miles, so it is what it is.

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
^ welcome to the club Norm!

The "AudBlue tank" parm. keeps telling me 77.0 or 76.9, since I got the PF03, I suspect it's reading the wrong MBV. Does anyone know what MBV channel shows the current tank level? Also, what MBV channel shows oil pressure.

Trying to get AdBlue tank reading fixed and add oil pressure.
What's the unit of measure for the adblue? I'd assume it will vary/drop very slowly given how little is used.

Do a quick 1,000 mile run and report back. :D
As I remember what VeeDubTDI said there is no AdBlue level measurement. All there is is a switch for when the tank gets low to trip the MFD warnings.

Hypermile

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI DSG Comfortline+Sport Pkg
What's the unit of measure for the adblue? I'd assume it will vary/drop very slowly given how little is used.

If you look at the first pic in the first post, my OD was at 14385 and now I'm at 162xx and I've never seen it change from ethar 77.0 or 76.9....

I'm going my annual USA road trip (7000KM appx.) next month, I'll let you know :p

One of my stops will be the Passat plant on TN, I made reservations for the tour, I was gonna take a video for you guys, but no cameras are allowed. Shouls I ask W*F is up with their turbos? hehe

Last edited:

Hypermile

Veteran Member
TDI
I was messing around with VCDS last night, it appears there is no MBV for "OIL PRESSURE", I find this very strange.

I can also confirm, that there is no actual reduction agent tank level.

vw_norm

Gone, but not forgotten.
TDI
...as long as DHL doesn't screw things up. Mine took three days to get to me, but it was all DHL's fault. It cleared customs in Los Angeles in one day, and it should have been here the next day. However, it was mistakenly shipped to Sacramento, CA and then to San Francisco, CA. From there it was sent to Cincinnati, Ohio (I have no idea why) and then sent back to Las Vegas, NV. Therefore, for some reason, my PolarFIS+ took a nice tour of US airports before arriving at my house. I must agree that the guys at Movitel do a great job. Not only do they do a great job, but they also sell it at the lowest price I have seen.

Have Fun!

Don
It appears that my package landed in Cincy too, as the detail indicates that is where it cleared customs. Wonder is this is a DHL central customs import/export station? At least mine is on a straight line trajectory to me, so far. Just did a little backtrack from Alicante, Spain to Leipzig, Germany before making to hop to Cincy.

pedorro

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Sport
It appears that my package landed in Cincy too, as the detail indicates that is where it cleared customs. Wonder is this is a DHL central customs import/export station? At least mine is on a straight line trajectory to me, so far. Just did a little backtrack from Alicante, Spain to Leipzig, Germany before making to hop to Cincy.
Same with mine -- received text message today that it will be delivered tomorrow. :cool:

ndamico

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2003 Golf 2Dr TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2002 Duramax, 2003 Duramax
mine does the same thing and has never changed. but teeters betwen the two values.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I was messing around with VCDS last night, it appears there is no MBV for "OIL PRESSURE", I find this very strange.

I can also confirm, that there is no actual reduction agent tank level.
The oil pressure sensor is a simple two position switch. It's either low oil pressure or normal, with nothing in between.

pedorro

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Sport
Installation Complete!

Received my unit today and managed to update the firmware and get it installed. Will test it more thoroughly on the drive into work tomorrow. Just running two screens to start: Screen 1 to monitor boost and temps, Screen 2 to monitor soot and temps.

Noticed the "Boost PSI" reading is around -7 at idle. Any suggestions on how to zero it out or whether just to read absolute pressure? Will read back through this thread for any pointers.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Noticed the "Boost PSI" reading is around -7 at idle. Any suggestions on how to zero it out or whether just to read absolute pressure? Will read back through this thread for any pointers.
Go into the setup and check boost setting (I forget the exact wording). Change it to use the diagnostic bus for reading boost and all should work correctly. There are several settings for how to read boost and the default (Automatic) does not work very well on our cars, but the diagnostic bus readings are correct. I had the same problem when I first installed mine.

Have Fun!

Don

pedorro

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Sport
Go into the setup and check boost setting (I forget the exact wording). Change it to use the diagnostic bus for reading boost and all should work correctly. There are several settings for how to read boost and the default (Automatic) does not work very well on our cars, but the diagnostic bus readings are correct. I had the same problem when I first installed mine.

Have Fun!

Don
D'oh! You replied before I got back from figuring it out and posting! One of your previous posts mentions to manage the conflict between the diagnostic bus and OBD-II devices.

Thanks (again) for the immediate and useful reply...this site rocks!

Hypermile

Veteran Member
TDI
Tip: You can have 3 quick one click screens, setup screen1, 2 and the last screen as you most important screens. All you have to do is click up once from S1 to go S2 or click down from S1 to go to the last screen.

pedorro

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Sport
My FIS+ works perfectly during my morning commutes, but fails consistently on the drive home. All parameters I'm monitoring tracked to what I experienced using the SG-II (didn't expect different).

Hypermile: Like your screen navigation suggestion. BTW, I swapped the page +/- buttons as the default settings work in opposition to my brain. :D

The product is great, when working. My experience purchasing from Movitel was outstanding and I received the item from Spain in just three business days (inclusive of a weekend; five days total).

17-JUL Updates:
1. My device is not working properly, so I must back off on my recommendation until my issues are resolved. Love what it can do, though.
2. I have yet to hear back from Auto Polar or Movitel.

Last edited:

pedorro

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Sport
Houston, I have a problem!

Looks like my celebration was a bit premature. Went to show a co-worker the install and screens and it wouldn't work properly -- it wouldn't stay in the FIS+ phone screens and kept exiting to the main MFD display. After many tries to access the FIS+ screens it would land there but only momentarily.

Unhooked the battery and it seemed to fix the problem. When leaving from work several hours later, it was back in failure mode. Any ideas or suggestions? I've posted in the thread on Polar Auto.

Argh....

Hypermile

Veteran Member
TDI
Make sure ALL your connecting points are well secure. especially the original can gateway harness to the FIS box. That is where I found my issue.

GL and report back pls!

pedorro

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Sport
Make sure ALL your connecting points are well secure. especially the original can gateway harness to the FIS box. That is where I found my issue.

GL and report back pls!
Just finished carefully reseating all the connectors for a third time and it is working at the moment. After shutting off the car and then turning it back on to set the clock, the display flashed "No Phone Paired" briefly but then continued to work. It appears it is looking for a phone when the FIS+ is initializing -- is this normal from your experience?

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Yeah, that connector from the Polar cable where it plugs into the CAN gateway is really tight. It is a PITA to get plugged in right. This gave me a serious problem too. From the position I was in I couldn't get very good leverage pushing that connector in. I did not hear the "click" as it locked into place. So, I decided that I needed a tool (basically an extension) to put more pressure on the connector. Anyway, I used a small scrap of wood I had lying around and I pushed very hard. I heard a click and I felt it move, so I assumed that it was all the way in. I reconnected the battery and tried to start the car. I had lots of lights and the car would not start (it would start then die - immobilizer problem). I scanned the car with VCDS and had a ton of faults, mostly communications failures on the CAN bus. The CAN gateway could not communicate with the instrument cluster. When I got down on the floor again and had a good look, I learned that what "gave" and made the "click" was the CAN Gateway popping from it's mount. I was then able to pull that box down and with both hands I could squeeze the connector all the way in (click!). With the connector firmly locked in place, I then re-installed the CAN gateway in its place. I connected the battery (again), cleared all the faults, started the engine and all was good. All in all, a rather exciting afternoon.

Have Fun!

Don

P.S. Of course, it is possible for any electronic device to fail and if it is bad, they will replace it. However, that connector has caused problems for many people. It is almost like it is a hair bigger (tighter fit) than the OEM one already in the car. It is odd that the car's plug fits easily into the Polar box, but the Polar's plug is hard to plug into the car.

pedorro

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Sport
This last pass, especially, I was very deliberate and both CAN connectors seated very well with positive engagement and a solid "click." Not too hopeful I fixed anything but time will tell (no duh, huh? :) ). Assuming my issues continue, I would tend to think I have a flaky unit.

The ESP warnings after the first battery disconnect and install were a bit alarming, to say the least. Fortunately I didn't experience anything more serious like you (Don) and Hypermile.

Thanks for all the support!

vw_norm

Gone, but not forgotten.
TDI
Finally received my PolarFis after playing tag with the useless DHL delivery contractor here for a day and a half. DHL did great getting the package halfway around the globe in 4 days, but really blew it with their choice of a delivery agent (no actual corporate DHL presence here -just a storefront so to speak).
Did the update last night. First couple attempts ended in errors and the updater would crash when trying to upload to the box. Finally ended up totally disabling my Kaspersky anti-virus - then the updater worked just fine. There is likely some small item to uncheck deep within the anti-virus, but it was much easier to simply turn the entire thing off for the few minutes that the update took. Now to install! Other than the anti-virus issue, the updater worked like a champ. Installed version 0.4.4.

Hypermile

Veteran Member
TDI
Just finished carefully reseating all the connectors for a third time and it is working at the moment. After shutting off the car and then turning it back on to set the clock, the display flashed "No Phone Paired" briefly but then continued to work. It appears it is looking for a phone when the FIS+ is initializing -- is this normal from your experience?
Not in my experience.

pedorro

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Sport
^^ Thanks. After playing with it and attempting to troubleshooting, I think it is simply the landing screen when entering the phone section and the FIS+ is not taking over the display as designed. Now I see the "No Paired Phone Found" message which is accurate since I deleted all paired phones.

Last edited:

vw_norm

Gone, but not forgotten.
TDI
Got it installed tonight and started to program some screens. No issues with the connectors. This is a very cool device. I was majorly bummed when the oil temp showed up as -74, which is the same in the MB. Somewhere, somehow in the Kombi, the oil temp is blocked or not part of the installed firmware. I'll play with it some more this weekend and see what happens if I 'turn off' the oil level sensor I installed via the adaptions in 17. Yes, I've installed an oil level sensor in my oil pan after carving a hole and wired it up to the instrument panel. You can read about that little adventure here: oil thermal sensor in CKRA