I have a idea? Might sound crazy Mustang Hybrid?

weirdajs

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 New Beetle TDI

I have been toying around with the idea of Mustang Hybrid. What I mean is taking a similar Mustang above in picture. Then swapping the engine with a Ford Powerstroke 6.0/7.3 Diesel engine.

You all might think why? the heck do that. It will ruin all the fun of a Ford Mustang. You be destroying a american classic car.

Below is emissions laws.

KansasDMV.org said:
Kansas does not have a safety or emissions inspection requirement or program.
http://www.ksrevenue.org/faqs-dmvtandr.htm

http://www.dmv.org/ks-kansas/smog-check.php

I guess it combines my love of Diesel and American Cars. Also I think it will be a fun project car :) Pretty sure there might be so heavy modding involve. Not to mention the looks I would get from it. Thoughts on this?

So am I crazy?

Last edited:

supton

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta Wagon GLS
Sounds crazy to me. Would this be a drag car, or something more of street/strip? I'd think a Powerstroke would put a lot of weight over the front end; I'm not sure what one weighs, but I'd guess you're basically replacing a 500lb motor with a 1,000lb+ motor. And I'm guessing it'll be longer, so extensive firewall modification. I'd think it'd be a bit heavy in the front end, making for not-so-great handling. Oh, and I'm not so sure about engine height--while it may be a Vee configuration, it's still meant for big trucks.

But I don't think there is a large amount of V6 diesels around (that don't weigh like 2,000lb), at least not in this country. IMO, finding a lightweight diesel that isn't the size of a small house is the problem.

What about going with a 4-53 and something just post-war? I'm thinking something that originally came with a straight six, so you have a long engine compartment, along with a high hood line. If you could, maybe something that came with a straight 8 (Pontiac? Studebaker?), and then you could go crazy with say a 6-53. Although, those kinds of vehicles might take to a Powerstroke as well.

Personally, I'd go with a bigger vehicle, if only to get enough underhood space.

MrMopar

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none
There have got to be smaller (lighter) diesel engines that can be fit under the hood of an early Ford Mustang. I'm certain that a Powerstroke engine wouldn't be a good fit simply because of weight issues.

On an episode of "Pimp My Ride" I did see a pretty good makeover on a Chevy Impala - they put a biodiesel fueled DuraMax engine into a full-size Chevy Impala sedan, and it was tweaked to something like 800hp with 16mpg. Certainly that fuel economy was better than even the stock 327 V-8 gasser.

If you have "unlimited" money, then you can likely buy what you want from a custom fabricator. I don't know the specifics of getting the electronics to work from other engines, but an I-4 CRD engine from the Jeep Liberty might work. Or some CRD engines from the Sprinter vans. Try asking the www.dieseltoyz.com guys who do Toyota diesel conversions if they can fit a Toyota diesel into a Mustang with easy fits.

weirdajs

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 New Beetle TDI
Drag Car I didn't think of that umm? Mainly a Street driver is more of lines, I was thinking of. At another forum others have pointed out about the weight issues.

More talk about makes me want to even more. My NB gave me the Diesel bug and that sparked this idea. I wonder if I do finish it. How many people would tell me. The classic phrase "Hey Sir do you know that is Diesel". I would smile and say yes it is a Diesel :D

Weirdajs/Aj/Andy

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I'm thinking the PowerStroke engine is going to be physically far too large (and heavy) to ever fit unless, of course, you substantially re-engineer the entire front end of the vehicle and change the shape of the bodyshell to make it fit. That particular body style of Mustang only ever originally came with Ford's "small block" V8 engines.

That car is something of a classic, and I wouldn't suggest ruining it.

weirdajs

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 New Beetle TDI
Yes did see that episode of "Pimp My Ride" which is another reason why. I thought about a custom Mustang frame. I seen on horsepower t.v. where they modify Ford Mustang with a custom frame.

I think it would be a good challenging project. I am still in think process. But do appreciate EVERYONE'S FEEDBACK It gives me more to think about.

Weirdajs/Aj/Andy

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
When did the big-blocks start showing up in the Mustangs as original equipment? I know they were there by 1970 but I don't know the exact year that they redesigned the chassis, front suspension, and bodyshell to accommodate the big-blocks. The later cars aren't quite as classic (but please don't ruin a good matching-numbers Boss 427 or Boss 302 in the course of this) - the thing to do is to start with a plain jane 6-banger shell with not much collector value, and those should be cheaper to obtain anyway.

Even at that, I'm not even sure that a Powerstroke will fit in the space of a big-block Ford ... I think it's bigger, and I know it's heavier.

BioPassat

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 VW Passat GL TDI
Big Blocks started in '67 for Mustangs...

greengeeker said:
I believe you're going to run into width issues between the strut towers.

Although, anything will fit with enough $$
If you tried this with a '64-1/2 to '66 Mustang, you would have a problem with clearance between the shock towers. '67 to '73 had big blocks so you may not have a problem with those.

If you did pull this off, the Mustang would be slow because off all the extra weight and wouldn't handle well at all since the weight distribution would be something like 80/20.

If you wanted to do something like this for economy, then it might make sense with a MB 300D diesel engine and tranny, but if you are trying to drag race this thing you'd probably be disappointed.

Last edited:

BioPassat

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 VW Passat GL TDI
supton said:
I'm thinking something that originally came with a straight six, so you have a long engine compartment, along with a high hood line.
All Mustang's had straight sixes available as a base-line engine. Getting a V8 was an upgraded option.

supton

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta Wagon GLS
BioPassat said:
All Mustang's had straight sixes available as a base-line engine. Getting a V8 was an upgraded option.
I'm still not sure what vintage 'stang he is looking at (keep reading this thread at work, which has some stuff blocked). But not being a Ford man, I'm not sure if the 240's had a shorter height than the 300's.

Anyhow, I still think it's a crazy idea...

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
There are a few corvettes out there that have been converted to diesel. Google "diesel corvette" but ignore all the references to a 2009 diesel corvette - that never happened...

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
It would be slow in the corners, but it would be FAST in a straight line. With just a tuner box the 6.0 can make 350 hp and 500 lb/ft of torque. In the 7,000 lb truck it hauls ass, I can only image what it would do in a lighter chassis.

-Jasno

dieselyeti

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE (DSG)
weirdajs said:
I have been toying around with the idea of Mustang Hybrid. What I mean is taking a similar Mustang above in picture. Then swapping the engine with a Ford Powerstroke 6.0/7.3 Diesel engine.

You all might think why? the heck do that. It will ruin all the fun of a Ford Mustang. You be destroying a american classic car. I guess it combines my love of Diesel and American Cars. Also I think it will be a fun project car :) Pretty sure there might be so heavy modding involve. Not to mention the looks I would get from it. Thoughts on this?

So am I crazy?
I don't think it's that crazy, but it wouldn't be a hybrid - just a diesel powered Mustang. As far as motor choice a 4, 5 or 6cyl diesel would be preferable in terms of size and weight. Last year I researched diesel power for a 427 Cobra replica and even joked about putting a diesel in my '06 Mustang convert. The I6 from a MB E320 CDI cranks out near 400lb ft torque and would be a good place to start IMO if you can find one in a boneyard. Other than that, we're kinda limited to 4-pot VW diesels in the US unless you go with an old MB diesel from the 80's or early 90's.

MrMopar

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none
weirdajs said:
That car is one true survivor from the 80s. The Mazda diesel engine was rare in the Ford Tempo, and the 5-speed transmission was the only transmission with the diesel engines. I'm sure that engine didn't have a turbo back then - I'm curious about the power output and fuel economy figures.

CNDTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 jetta tdi 6m
why not put the engine in the back of the car then you could pop wheelies :p while blowing out a cloud:cool:

but i would rather see that done with my old 2-door golf

moosejaw

Veteran Member
TDI
*Sold* 2005 Passat GLS TDI Shadow Blue
I know this a "dreaming" thread but I have some ideas. Use a Fox chassis (79-93) because there are more chassis mods available at a reasonable price. You can modify an off the shelf tubular K-member for the engine mounts. They have 460 swap kits that could be adjusted for this.

A roll cage would be mandatory to keep the chassis straight, again off the shelf items if you can weld it yourself. Coil overs and strong shocks easily obtainable with the high spring rate for the front. 9" rear end conversion is a bolt in part also.

An finally there are tons of in stock cowled hoods to select from to clear that massive engine. :)

phazersonstun

TDI
Only parts...
Great Idea! One that I have given much, MUCH thought to. I work on Mustangs all day long, classic or brand new.

Moosejaw is correct when he is talking about the Mustang platform from 1979-2004. It is one of the most modifiable platform out on the marketplace today. And when I say that I am speaking from the massive availability of aftermarket suspension components, and the their relative inexpensive purchase price when compared to something completely custom fabricated. From Maximum Motorsports to Griggs Racing to Agent 47, their are numerous options. Even UPR and BMR but their products are quite insubstantial when compared to those previously mentioned.

The cars themselves, not as plentiful as they once were, are still readily available, and relatively inexpensive. Whether you want a Fox (1979-1993) or an SN-95 (1994-2004). The later ones being more desirable because of their substantial increase in chassis rigidity.

However all of the nay-sayers who say this can't be done, it has been done.

http://www.dieselpowermag.com/features/ford/0901dp_1994_ford_mustang_duramax/nitrous_express.html

http://www.hotrod.com/eventcoverage/hrdp_1001_drag_week_power_combos/diesel_mustang_95_camaro.html

This car has been able to post sub-10's second quarter mile times along with getting more than 35 mpg! Talk about AWESOME.

As far as the classic mustangs (1965-1973), the first year for a big-block was 1967 with the introduction of the 390 FE motor as an option. It would be a greater challenge to drop a diesel in this era of mustang, but again there are PLENTY of choices in terms of suspension modification there as well. If you were to use any American sourced V-8 Diesel, it would be incredibly heavy! Not to mention requiring severe front suspension modification and chassis stiffening.

The Cummins 6BT motor would pose a challenge as well. It's weight averaging 1,000+ Lbs.

I think that the MBZ motor out of the Sprinter Van would be the best bet. It doesn't have the aftermarket support like the other big diesels. But it is in the RWD layout and is not too hard to find. But it is expensive. But DEFINITELY cool to see!

moosejaw

Veteran Member
TDI
*Sold* 2005 Passat GLS TDI Shadow Blue
In fact if there was a good/strong I-4 with rear drive tranny setup, then I would consider loading it into my Mustang. I have a 25 gallon custom aluminium fuel cell that would make for some great tank range. Even better if I could find a way to hook up the T-5 tranny to the diesel.

The car already has all the required mods: Roll cage, coil overs, sport/race shocks, stand alone electric fan controller, rear battery box etc.

Would require the Ecu, full engine harness and the A/C compressor :)

Ideally it would all fit under the stock steel hood.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
I'm assuming he is talking about the fox body in his sig. It would be a shame to go from 460rwhp to something like 160. Anyway, I'm pretty sure the stout and commonly available 4bt is going to require a stupidly tall cowl hood to fit in his car.