Hard starting when warm!!! PLEASE PLEASE HELP!!

twong

Hard starting when warm!!! SOLVED!SOLVED!SOLVED!!!!

ok....VW 1.9 Golf GT TDI 1999...milage 114k

when the car is cold i turn the key on and the glowplug light comes on for a few secs then the car starts as normal.

IF the car is warm then i put the key in and the glowplug light comes on for a split second and then the car will crank over for about 5 secs before actully starting! (it will ALWAYS start, but only after about 5seconds of cranking)

If i unplug the coolant temp sensor then the car will fire up straight away (a split second of cranking) but also gives off a little cloud of black smoke for the exsaust)

I have changed the coolant temp sensor, the starter motor and the battery is ok.

I have recently had the timing belt changed/and a full service and was told the timing is smack on. (from rkerns advice, i will get another garage to check this properly)

Please please please can someone help with what this problem could be? this is driving me insane!!!

Thanks in advanced.

Last edited:

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
what kind of car is it? what model year? How many miles? service history?

mrchill

TDIClub Enthusiast, Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vend
MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x
TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver
Familiar scenario. But, as Dieseldorf said, type of car, year of car, location of car.

twong

Sorry guys, i have now edited the post. VW Golf 1.9 GT TDI 1999.based in uk

flyingmikey

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Beetle TDI
i have the exact same symptom on my 99 beetle .. cranks a good 5-8 seconds before firing .. .so I am anxious to find out what this could be..i read the posts in here, and they all indicate a timing issue .. hard to believe tho

cheers...Mike

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
Per his prior post, just about everything else along the starting system has been done - and his mechanic believes that the only timing possible is "lining up the marks" and they apparently line up. Doesn't appear to have computer diagnostic equipment.

I say get it timed or at least checked (with proper equipment) before searching for other potential issues.

twong

ok guys, car is booked into volkswagen tommorow to have timing checked out.

will post results..in the meantime any other suggestions would be great!

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A problem with the VW "technicians" in the US is that, as long as the timing is within a rather large band, they say it's fine. Most people on this forum seem to believe that timing in the top part of the band is what is best for easy starting. I just hope the tech you get will give you the actual numbers (temp and setting). Good Luck!

Last edited:

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
twong said:

Oh, most un-good! Be prepared for maximum pain.

I would have suggested contacting your local TDi go-to person. :(

Borborygmi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Is it possible that there is some kind of issue with presented fuel temperature being out of range and causing the ECU to put the timing off? Perhaps the conduction of heat from a hot engine creates an abnormal resistance of the thermistor. That shouldn't be difficult to test. Is it hard starting immediately after shutdown or does it take a bit of time for the symptom to appear?

Mike_M

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 2002 Jetta GLS
twong said:

will post results..in the meantime any other suggestions would be great!
BE CAREFUL! Make them give you the printout they're basing their determination on as far as timing.

I've had the dealer tell me timing was "just fine", only to have the guy hand me the printout when I disputed that assertion and see that they'd used the "measuring blocks" value. That's the CORRECTED value, AFTER the ECU tweaks it. The correct value is the "Basic Settings" value, which a lot of dealerships ignore.

So be aware, and make them check the basic settings value.

Mike

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
I had the same prob, starter needed to be greased. After I did grease it prob went away, although in the end its going to need rebuilding/replacing.

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Per prior thread, he did change the starter. After his mechanic said he was "spot on" - based upon the markings.

twong

rdkern said:
Per prior thread, he did change the starter. After his mechanic said he was "spot on" - based upon the markings.
VW said timing was spot on but the starter motor was turning over at 270rpm! is 300 a definete?

ok guys i have now purchased a brand new starter motor, the one i put on before was a old one (sorry did not realise)

will post results 2moro night!

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
festivenuts said:
this guys flipping out like his cars gonna explode
I can see this being a problem If you're trying to sell your TDI.. Nobody is going to buy your car if it takes that long to start after it's been running already.. 5 seconds is a LONG time to start an engine after it's good and warm..

Mine does this exact thing his car does.. I can drive for an hour, shut the car off, wait 10 seconds , and it takes 4 or 5 seconds of cranking to start it.. When it's cold, or it's been sitting for an hour or so, it starts up instantly.. It seems like the longer it sits, the faster it starts..

ben1.9GTTDI

Solution!!!!

;)

OK I have the solution. I too own a 1.9 GT TDI (late 1998) and experiences the exact same warm starting problem.

The solution is to renew the start motor. I took my golf to VW and it took them ages to find out what was wrong. As soon as they replaced the starter motor everything was sorted- no more embarrassing starts!!!

Anyone got any good advice on renewing my clutch- DIY on the cheap?

twong said:
ok....VW 1.9 Golf GT TDI 1999...milage 114k

when the car is cold i turn the key on and the glowplug light comes on for a few secs then the car starts as normal.

IF the car is warm then i put the key in and the glowplug light comes on for a split second and then the car will crank over for about 5 secs before actully starting! (it will ALWAYS start, but only after about 5seconds of cranking)

If i unplug the coolant temp sensor then the car will fire up straight away (a split second of cranking) but also gives off a little cloud of black smoke for the exsaust)

I have changed the coolant temp sensor, the starter motor and the battery is ok.

I have recently had the timing belt changed/and a full service and was told the timing is smack on. (from rkerns advice, i will get another garage to check this properly)

Please please please can someone help with what this problem could be? this is driving me insane!!!

Thanks in advanced.

b1jackson

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf - Gone in BUYBACK. Replaced with 2015 Golf
Me too

TDIJetta99 said:
I can see this being a problem If you're trying to sell your TDI.. Nobody is going to buy your car if it takes that long to start after it's been running already.. 5 seconds is a LONG time to start an engine after it's good and warm..

Mine does this exact thing his car does.. I can drive for an hour, shut the car off, wait 10 seconds , and it takes 4 or 5 seconds of cranking to start it.. When it's cold, or it's been sitting for an hour or so, it starts up instantly.. It seems like the longer it sits, the faster it starts..

This is exactly what my 1999 jetta TDI does. I had pump timing checked but still experience the problem. I hope to find the solution here in this thread.

B

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
starter, starter, starter.. I think I mentioned this on the first page....

Alot of people throw batteries at their cars and this fixes the prob for a bit, but then the problem slowly comes back.. I have had this problem for the past year or so (Well not really a problem, I know exactly how to fix it)

Do yourself a favour, take the 40 mins, remove the starter, clean and grease it, I'll wager all my pennies that your warm start issue's disappear...

Last edited:

twong

Ok SOLVED!!!!

brand new starter motor fitted this mornign and now the car starts warm or cold after a split second of cranking!

Thanks everyone for your help! much much much appreciated!!

A Special Thanks to RDKERN! thanks a lot mate!!!

hope this thread helps any others who have had thsi problem,!!!

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Glad to have been of help. Especially glad that the problem is solved.