Intermittent fast blink in MK4 jetta

~TDIguy~

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Sedan
Hi guys, I have an 04 jetta Tdi An I'm having an issue of an intermittent fast blinker noise. Sounds like its coming from the area of the 4ways switch on the dash and its worse when the car is cold. It sounds just like there would be a turning signal bulb out but it does it when none of the signals or 4ways are on. Any ideas what we got going?

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
It's common for that switch to go out, there is a recent thread somewhere with the part numbers and replacement procedure

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
i didn't see the thread, so NAPA # 6003640. Pull a blank to access the lock on the side of the switch. One side should do.

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
Any mk4 hazard switch will work. Go to the junkyard and pull one, it will be practice so you don't destroy your dash.

~TDIguy~

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Sedan
So i replaced the hazard switch with a new one from IDparts and the symptoms persist just like before.... Where do i look next?

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Fast blinking is caused when a bulb is out. It is designed to make you go looking for the dead bulb. If it is doing it intermittently, then wait until the next time it is blinking fast, then pull over and get out. Then find the bulb that appears to be dead. Later you can pull that bulb and check the socket.

I have one of those in my wife's NB. Happens every year or so. I pull that turn signal assembly*, remove the bulb, and bend out one of the contacts at the bottom so that it has more spring pressure against the bottom of the bulb. Then the problem goes away for another year or so.

I'm thinking I need to engineer some LEDs for it, but I have too much else going on in the house and my 4-dr right now.

Cheers,

PH

* - Meaning the light bulb assembly that goes into the bumper.

Last edited: