Who decided to keep their A3?

mech644

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf, '14 Touareg
Couldn't pass up the cash, paid 18.5 in fall of '15, just got 26k on buyback.
Turned that into a '14 Touareg Lux TDI with 93k on it. Keeping it and taking the fix whenever it's offered.
A3 was a good car, it was great in almost every way except head clearance on entry. I'm 6'3" and had enter deliberately, anytime I ever tried to just jump into the car I'd knock my head on the roof edge, annoying. Once the buyback became solid that cars days were numbered with me.

Leeshepard

TDI
2015 a3
Keeping until just before the warranty expires and then will decide based on what kind of replacement vehicles are out there. The 150k warranty + $9k restitution payment for my 2015 is really attractive. The final booklet that described the warranty said that in addition to the entire emission system and engine block being covered, ANY malfunction detected by the OBD computer is covered except the transmission.

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
When I found out that the fix will entail replacing everything after the exhaust manifold, I deemed it not worth keeping.

This is a retro fit and for anyone around in the 70's when emissions were new and equipment was being retrofitted on cars not designed for this stuff, it sucked.

These engines were not designed for the new run cycles proposed.

I knew that the car I loved and was used to would change too much and I would whine about it forever and be annoyed everyday.

I know I am giving up the Diesel for a gasser and all it's issues, plugs, wires, coils, frequent oil changes, low mpg, etc, but I am sure I would regretted keeping the car later.

There were too many ifs, whens, if possibles, and knowing how VW has worked on fixing issues like windows falling into doors, HPFP failures, cam failures, etc, I was not going to risk it...

Terry270

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf, 10 A3
When I found out that the fix will entail replacing everything after the exhaust manifold, I deemed it not worth keeping.

This is a retro fit and for anyone around in the 70's when emissions were new and equipment was being retrofitted on cars not designed for this stuff, it sucked.

These engines were not designed for the new run cycles proposed.

I knew that the car I loved and was used to would change too much and I would whine about it forever and be annoyed everyday.

I know I am giving up the Diesel for a gasser and all it's issues, plugs, wires, coils, frequent oil changes, low mpg, etc, but I am sure I would regretted keeping the car later.

There were too many ifs, whens, if possibles, and knowing how VW has worked on fixing issues like windows falling into doors, HPFP failures, cam failures, etc, I was not going to risk it...
This is why I'll be doing my own fix after they do thiers :D

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
TomB, what you say may apply to your 2012 Passat but this thread is about A3's.
Your 2015 just gets a software tweak followed by some minor parts upgrades.
The reports thus far are that the software change is mostly un-noticeable so what gives?:confused:

Red Devil

TDI
2011 Audi A3 TDI
I am waiting for the fix, if it sucks, will go for the money. Audi told me if mileage was reasonable, I would receive the cash offered today. Love my car may as well drive. Absolutely right about depreciation, this is the first new car I bought. So far with $35k out the door, the cash and buyback is about $27k six years later, which is highly unusual.

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
TomB, what you say may apply to your 2012 Passat but this thread is about A3's.
Your 2015 just gets a software tweak followed by some minor parts upgrades.
The reports thus far are that the software change is mostly un-noticeable so what gives?:confused:
I was told by Audi the 2015 A3 is a full equipment change from the exhaust manifold to the tail pipe. This is the phase II repair.

The software change isn't ready yet for the USA, but based on what I hear in Europe with a friend in the Uk that got the software fix on his Audi, torque ranges are changed raised to higher rpms, slower to gain torque, lower shift points, resulting in sluggish performance and he keeps going through DEF before the oil change interval.

My ordered S3 was just built. On the boat, should be here by late May.

Sad to see it go but after seeing the posting of the European stories about the fix on VWVortex, kind of glad to start with a new car.

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
I am waiting for the fix, if it sucks, will go for the money. Audi told me if mileage was reasonable, I would receive the cash offered today. Love my car may as well drive. Absolutely right about depreciation, this is the first new car I bought. So far with $35k out the door, the cash and buyback is about $27k six years later, which is highly unusual.
Be careful. Originally VW documentation presented it as "get the fix, have 18 months to try it out, return if not happen."

This never made it into the final offer. I was going to give it a chance but when the official court agreed offer was presented I did not see the option anymore to review performance after it gets the change.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
I was told by Audi the 2015 A3 is a full equipment change from the exhaust manifold to the tail pipe. This is the phase II repair.
The software change isn't ready yet for the USA, but based on what I hear in Europe with a friend in the Uk that got the software fix on his Audi, torque ranges are changed raised to higher rpms, slower to gain torque, lower shift points, resulting in sluggish performance and he keeps going through DEF before the oil change interval.
My ordered S3 was just built. On the boat, should be here by late May.
Sad to see it go but after seeing the posting of the European stories about the fix on VWVortex, kind of glad to start with a new car.
Sorry, I'm having trouble understanding that the 2015 A3 is somehow different
from the rest of the 2015 VW 2.0 TDI's.
The US versions get an added/different sensor and some change to the DEF tank, I thought.
The Euro versions are different to begin with and may have different requirements to meet.

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
Sorry, I'm having trouble understanding that the 2015 A3 is somehow different
from the rest of the 2015 VW 2.0 TDI's.
The US versions get an added/different sensor and some change to the DEF tank, I thought.
The Euro versions are different to begin with and may have different requirements to meet.
Originally I was told only a software fix, same as the Euro 6 (or 5) standard because the 2015 had the new 2.0L engine with the better emission (150HP instead of the 140HP, 10% better fuel economy).

Then when I got my settlement it was a two part fix. The first the software and then hardware fixes, WHEN and IF they came up with them sometime in 2018.

When I talked with my Audi dealer they said the second part was truly an exhaust rework with the larger SCE catalytic converter and other parts.

Anyone know for sure what the second part of the fix will really include?

COcyclist

TDI
04 Golf 5 speed Indigo Blue, Hers-2011 A3 TDI Tiptronic Silver
We have decided to keep ours. It is a 2011 so hopefully it will only require a software fix. We will get a Malone tune now instead of waiting to see what VW comes up with. A pickup backed into the driver door last spring so we were given a new Toyota Camry rental car while the A3 was in the shop. Hated it. There isn't anything else that is as fun to drive, comfortable and efficient as the A3 TDI for our mountain west driving.

It saddens me to think of sending this car we love to the crusher.

PeteZ06

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1108722_which-vw-diesels-can-be-fixed-updated-and-which-cant

I'm not saying there won't be a fix for TDIs without urea injection because of this article but because its common sense. They're having a hard enough of a time getting these cars to pass with urea injection that without makes it impossible.

I've been saying this all along, you'll see, at the last minute they'll announce that certain models won't offer a fix and a buyback will be the only option.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
That article depends on the demonstrably incorrect assumption that, in order to be approved, the modification must bring the cars into full compliance. The DOJ settlement clearly sets out the standards that the modification must meet, it also sets out (at least roughly) the form that the modification will take. No cars are getting DEF systems added, and that's been known to anyone who bothered to read the court documents since last June.

I'm not particularly invested one way or the other in whether a fix is approved, but I'd prefer not to see opinion and speculation presented as fact.

doc5339

TDI
2011 Audi A3 S-Line TDI
We are probably going to keep ours. We were going the BuyBack route, but apparently we bought the car a bit too late. After signing up for the Takata class action suit, VAG finally contacted us for an "interim" airbag inflator replacement.

The airbag recall was our biggest issue, so we might be one of the few A3 TDI owners left when it's all said and done.

SS930

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI, 2015 A3 TDI
I'm quite possibly going to keep my 2015 A3, although I've already given the 2009 Jetta back to them.

I've recently added some ST coilovers to the A3, it's almost perfect now. With that said, I will explore tuning options. I'd hate to give it back!

doc5339

TDI
2011 Audi A3 S-Line TDI
We have decided to keep ours. It is a 2011 so hopefully it will only require a software fix. We will get a Malone tune now instead of waiting to see what VW comes up with. A pickup backed into the driver door last spring so we were given a new Toyota Camry rental car while the A3 was in the shop. Hated it. There isn't anything else that is as fun to drive, comfortable and efficient as the A3 TDI for our mountain west driving.

It saddens me to think of sending this car we love to the crusher.
What does opting for the "fix" (not debating efficacy of any proposed fix) entail as far as financial compensation, and emissions warranty? I have been searching a good bit, however, the total package seems a but murky to me.

COcyclist

TDI
04 Golf 5 speed Indigo Blue, Hers-2011 A3 TDI Tiptronic Silver
What does opting for the "fix" (not debating efficacy of any proposed fix) entail as far as financial compensation, and emissions warranty? I have been searching a good bit, however, the total package seems a but murky to me.
We got a gray 29 page booklet from VAG "Volkswagen and Audi 2.0-liter TDI Diesel Emissions Settlements" last fall. Our car had just over 60,000 miles at the time. We could have gotten $25,876 if we took the buyback and $6,871 cash and we keep the car but only if we submit to the emission fix. I believe it also included and extended waranty on emissions equipment and even engine damage from the "fix" IIRC.

The "cheat" to get our car to meet EPA emissions testing involved the CPU detecting when the car was on the EPA testing dynamometer, namely no steering inputs and only the front wheels turning, and the car computer would de-tune the engine. It got worse mileage and was down on power but was able to pass the tailpipe test. To my mind, getting the car to pass emissions standards now should be no more difficult than telling the computer to run like it is on the EPA dyno all the time. However, as of today, April 2017 we are still waiting to hear if the fix has been approved by the EPA and CARB.:mad:

Last edited: