Buying a higher mileage MKIV TDI

coop442s

TDI
None :(
Hey y'all,

I am currently trying to sale my Tahoe and use it to fund the purchase of a smaller, more economical daily. I am looking at both MKIV and MKVI TDIs (JSW) and depending on how the sale of my Tahoe goes that will determine which model TDI I will pursue as I am try to avoid financing my next vehicle.

There are several 2001 (more than six) TDIs for sale in my area, one 2002, and one 2005. I am limited to the automatic for now due to the amount of stop and go traffic (on hills) in my commute. Not to mention my wife is not the most open to learn how to drive a manual (for now).

What should I be looking for mechanically wise in a higher mileage MKIV (200k or greater)?

If I were to purchase a mkIV I would assume the first thing to do would be to do a timing belt service w/ water pump and full fluid change (oil, water, A/T) along with filters. Also included in this would be to purchase VCDS. This would be to establish a set date and mileage to base future maintenance on.

Thank you,
Michael

snoopy

Veteran Member
TDI
NB, 2002, Cyber green
If you are limited to an automatic, a JSW is the way to go. MK IV automatics are prone to failure, especially in the 200k range.

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
If you have to buy an auto, don't buy the 2000-2003, the transmission is terrible in most cases. The autos in the 04/05 are not perfect either but are manageable with maintenance.

Maintenance means everything, timing belt is #1, transmission service, turbo history. In terms of cars its much like others in terms of used cars, have the suspension checked, rear bushings, check all door locks and windows for working, oil leaks, check engine light (codes if any), abs light, air bag light, they could all pertain to repairs.

drucifer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta sw tdi pd
While the the trans in the 05 is better you also have the camshaft issues at 200k+. I'm not saying it would be a deal breaker but know what your getting into before you negotiate or walk away.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Have you driven a manual transmission ALH TDI ('99.5 - '03)? It's one of the easiest manuals to drive in traffic. And nearly impossible to stall on a hill. There's a significant FE penalty for any automatic TDI, on the earlier cars it's even greater than on the MKVI or later ones. For example, I average about 46 MPG in my '02 Wagon, despite modifications and typically driving at 75-80 on the highway. An automatic TDI from the same year would probably see high 30s in similar use, 8-10 MPG less.

Much as I like MKIV cars, if you're set on an automatic I'd probably go for a '10 or later car.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
If you are dead set on a MKIV and an auto - go with a BEW powered Beetle - they came with the DSG instead of the tiptronic.

These cars are getting old... I picked up a 03 wagon 5sp with 300k and it needed the following:
Struts, shocks, mounts, lower control arm bushings, ball joints, clutch/flywheel (DMF failure), inner CV joint, clutch switch, starter and a MAF (plus replaced rusted fenders and hood). I also did a bunch of other freshening up while I had it (tie rods, sway bar bushings vacuum lines, filters, etc).

MKIVs are going at stupid prices now - better off buying a newer CR DSG that's been "fixed" and tune it.

burn_your_money

Veteran Member
TDI
99 Beetle, 96 B4V, 05 Passat wagon
Don't forget to look at the Passats in the 05 range. Their autos are better than the Mk4 but you're still taking a gamble at that mileage.

If you are mainly city and are set on an auto, a hybrid might do you better.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
Don't forget to look at the Passats in the 05 range. Their autos are better than the Mk4 but you're still taking a gamble at that mileage.
I've never heard anything good about those autos. Heavy, power robbing boat anchors :) Torque convertor failures seen fairly common.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
I've got 3 manual alh cars, the stock one is by far the easiest to drive, the low end torque make it super easy to drive...the stock Jetta has 302k and the funner Jetta has 324k...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Oo-v-oO

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta Expired... Now 2000 Golf & 2002 Golf
I average about 46 MPG in my '02 Wagon, despite modifications and typically driving at 75-80 on the highway. An automatic TDI from the same year would probably see high 30s in similar use, 8-10 MPG less.
I agree that the autos are... shall we be charitable and say "less than ideal"? However, I've been running an '02 Golf for the last 12 weeks or so that was gifted to me. It has ~210K and an auto and my average over 12 tanks is 43.1 mpg. That's a blend of small town and interstate use with cruise typically set around 80. That's not terrible.

It is actually doing better than my '00 with a 5 speed at 41.5 average, but that one has 434K on it, it's still running the original fuel injectors, and I've been towing with it so that's not exactly typical. :D

Given the choice I would go with the 5 speed every single time but as they say, don't look a gift horse in the mouth. When the auto finally craps out I'll keep my eyes open for a 5 speed parts car and convert it. The body is rust-free, a rarity here in the land of road salt so it is worth the effort.

coop442s

TDI
None :(
Thanks y'all,

I thought I remember reading that the early mkiv tdi autos had issues. I'll keep it in mind on the manuals and how they do. I'm really keeping my options open on TDI models and am currently in a holding pattern until my Tahoe sales. If I were to be looking at mkiv I would be setting aside a large portion of the profit selling my Tahoe towards maintenance (including a potential transmission rebuild or swap).

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
If I were to be looking at mkiv I would be setting aside a large portion of the profit selling my Tahoe towards maintenance (including a potential transmission rebuild or swap).
cool thing about autos is if you bum around on the forum you can usually find a core takeout one for free from someone swapping in a manual

toss a rebuild kit in it and set it aside for when its needed