Ea288 tune

Angus1

TDI
'15 GSW TDI 6MT
Well, I did it. I ordered a tune and Q loader from kerma for my tdi. Still waiting for it to ship,(not sure how long that takes) but looking forward to getting it all together.

Last edited:

Dieseline

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 TDI - sold at 350k,2009 TDI -sold back to VW 9/29/17 225k, 2015 TDI SE
Does kerma sell off road tunes? I'd like to purchase their Q-loader and the 1+ tune. Then down the road after the extended warranty is over, have the option to go with an OR tune in case of a failed emissions system. I just don't see any other options for their EA288 tunes. It's the only thing holding me back right now from making the purchase. I'm waiting on a response from kerma, but figured somebody here might know. Thanks.

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
I seem to remember someone got a tune similar to what your talking about for a completely "off road" golf. It removed all emissions and def related parts. Not sure if it was kerma tho.

Dieseline

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks greenlantern, I know Malone does, have used them before. I got an email from kerma the other day, saying that the Q-loader will be able to flash dsg as well soon. So to make 1 purchase of the equipment and be able to keep it and upgrade my tune down the road is a big selling point for me. I believe I have read somewhere that kerma doesn't do OR tunes anymore though. Just can't find that post. How do you like their tune btw? Really wake your TDI up?

St.Hubbins

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf, DSG / '11 A3, DSG (both went buyback) - '15 GSW SE
just ordered as well - 10% off special was a bonus surprise!
can't wait to unleash this thing

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I believe the new Qloader can do the DSG, but the old one can't. Not sure what shipped for you.

Also I haven't noticed a need for a TCU tune on our '15 Passat, shifts are lightening fast in day to day driving.

Only thing I do notice that could use improvement is it doesn't keep a gear an use the extra torq at say 2K, when prodded, it always down shifts to +3K and then quickly up shifts, where I'd rather just ride the torque wave.

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
The powergate 3+ Won't be out until the end of the month, hopefully it's a smooth launch. We've had DSG tuning for the 2015s using another tool for well over a year now, but can limit lower RPM torque a little and get away without running one. Definitely worth it for doing lower RPM pulls though.

Dieseline

Veteran Member
TDI
Owain, the powergate 3? Is that a loader like kermas? Is Malone going to offer the same type of setup, tune ecm and dsg with the same tool? I'd much rather have the option to get an OR tune down the road , from the same tuner using the same equipment. I loved my 09 with both tunes! Thanks

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
The powergate 3+ Won't be out until the end of the month,
I don't know what you mean, we've been shipping them for some time now. It's what our customers have been getting lately as we go through a LOT of these programmer units.

The DSG functionality will be done thru virtual reading just like the ECU is now.

Owain@malonetuning

TDI
PD jetta wagon
Kerma and Malone use the same tools from alientech https://www.alientech-tools.com/en/home/ The powergate 3+ isn't officially available until the end of the month.

We also use tools from several other companies since we deal with a lot of custom builds and oddball gasser projects. Also bought a few tools to use as rentals for 2015 DSGs to tie us over while AT worked on DQ250 DSG tuning for the MQB platform.

Last edited:

KERMA

TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
what you mean is: not officially available from malone till the end of the month. We got our order in week before last I think and been shipping only the 3+ since then.

The old version was discontinued and hasn't shipped for maybe the last month and a half. The new version is the only one that's available now. We ran out of the old ones and there were shipping delays because of it.

It's actually a lot less buggy than the older ones so we are finding it is an improvement. Just some initial setup required, then seamless.

it is a really sweet little unit, improved touchscreen responsiveness and larger screen.

Maybe one of the guys who got it already will post a picture.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You guys are too cute!!!! I love your passion for the platform, wish you both the best

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Massimo told us end of the month for the "official" release. Glad to hear, the V3 could be a pain at times.
Now I have a question, I did buy the "Flashzilla" last fall and installed the Stage 2 tune. Then I was told the Flashzilla will not or cannot be used for the DSG tune.
Does this mean my Flashzilla is now outdated! Or can it be exchanged?

Owain@malonetuning

TDI
PD jetta wagon
The V3 is identical to the V3+ with the exception of the case and screen according to alientech, so it should work fine for DSG flashing. Contacted them wondering what all the fuss was about the V3+ powergate and it's basically the same tool by the sounds of it with a better screen.

I'd take time frames on DSG tune availability with a grain of salt. They've been working on the MQB DSGs and said a few months about 18 months ago, we bought other tools to avoid waiting so that we could do the proper R&D in the meantime.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Thanks Owain, I'll be in touch after I had the Phase II fix done by VW.

Dieseline

Veteran Member
TDI
Great to hear, Owain! I'll be a repeat customer after 2nd phase is completed also. Can't wait.

St.Hubbins

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf, DSG / '11 A3, DSG (both went buyback) - '15 GSW SE
just installed Kerma stage1+ yesterday. oh yes, it's quite legit... need to drive more to gather observations.

Darth_Furious

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW, DSG
I also did kerma 6 months ago. They actually emailed me a couple months in to let me know they had an update to their tune with a little more power. I appreciate the support I received from them and their tune works well. Lots of power and better mpg.

Malone also does a good tune and you can't go wrong with either.

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
The DMF OR DSG shudder with the Kerma tune raises concern with me. I would want a tune for ECU that goes hand in hand with a TCU tune. I wana know all the parts are working well together and not fighting each other.

Owain@malonetuning

TDI
PD jetta wagon
Definitely agree there, which is why we purchased different tooling to support MQB DSGs and spent the last year or so on R&D and tune sales for them to increase our sample size. Tools are sent directly to customers, port flash, and we take their feedback seriously. Everyone's tastes are a little different, especially on the big turbo gassers.

Both tunes, and others, can potentially cause shudder and make about the same power (There's no magical formula to make a stock car way faster than competitors, the turbo can only do so much). So if needed it's best to contact and have it custom tuned accordingly, don't have to give up much on the bottom end, it's barely noticeable and back to normal by about 2200. We have to limit power on deleted cars if they're on stock dsg software. On EA189 (09-14s) this is more pronounced and slipping can occur, so we claim it's basically essential. Of course you could just tune the ECU, you can eat pasta without sauce too.

The powergate V3+ Does not support DSGs yet, hopefully it does by summer.

Last edited:

KERMA

TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
The DMF OR DSG shudder with the Kerma tune raises concern with me. I would want a tune for ECU that goes hand in hand with a TCU tune. I wana know all the parts are working well together and not fighting each other.
If you are concerned then dialing back power as needed/requested is easy.

But we already provide a more powerful tune and a less powerful tune to every customer for precisely this reason. (stage 1 and stage 1+) Along with an explanation that if they get some shudder with stage 1+ then just use stage 1. Which is already double the gains of the next closest competitor. And so many more benefits too.

frankly, when given a choice, most guys opt for more powerful tune and just downshift when appropriate.

Last edited:

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT / 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI 6MT
If you are concerned then dialing back power as needed/requested is easy.

But we already provide a more powerful tune and a less powerful tune to every customer for precisely this reason. (stage 1 and stage 1+) Along with an explanation that if they get some shudder with stage 1+ then just use stage 1. Which is already double the gains of the next closest competitor. And so many more benefits too.

frankly, when given a choice, most guys opt for more powerful tune and just downshift when appropriate.
can we see a side by side comparison of stage 1 vs 1+ anywhere?

DieselSport15

TDI
2015 Sportwagen SEL, 2014 Touareg Exec.
Ordered, received and installed my Kerma tune the other day!! Its great!! Well worth the money. Easy to install. I drive almost 90% commuting freeway miles and for some reason I would struggle to ever even see 40mpg, now I am easily and consistently seeing 45-48mpg with cooler oil temps too. Added power is very nice and noticeable as well!!!

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Now change the throttle response mapping via the ABS module and VCDS, it'll blow your mind again.

Then change the starting vibration reduction to off and you'll be amazed for a 3rd time!

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
Agreed, the throttle response adjustment is a nice change.

The vibration reduction appears to let the tires spin more easily, and some cars only have the option to change to "normal" rather than "off". Mine was set to Strong, with Maximum and Normal as the only other options.

Dieseline

Veteran Member
TDI
Now change the throttle response mapping via the ABS module and VCDS, it'll blow your mind again.

Then change the starting vibration reduction to off and you'll be amazed for a 3rd time!
Is this something that the car needs to have a tune to be able to adjust? Or can I do it on a stock 15 Jetta TDI? I tried searching here and Google but found mostly older cars and gassers. If you could clarify a little bit, it's something I'd like to try. Tune is on hold until stage 2 of the fix. Thanks!