What tools to keep in car in case of window fail?

gaddman

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta (RC3, PD150 Injectors, GTB1749V, 2.5" Downpipe), 04 Touareg V10 (RC1)
What tools should I keep in my car in case one of my windows fail in the down position? I've read that duct tape on both sides over the top of the door (with a towel or something to protect the paint) will hold the window up. What do you use to get them up if they fall down? Needle nose pliers...with plastic or rubber over the ends to keep from cracking the glass? I just know this is gonna happen in a rain or snowstorm!

It's an 02 Jetta with power windows.

Thanks!
Gaddman

mike944

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta
I always stop mine before it opens all the way, and i don't let it slam into the bottom stop. i've been doing that ever since i got my car with 60K on it (i have 196K on it now)

I should probably keep something in the car just-in-case, but i don't.

puter

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
You need a torx bit for removing the outer door panel (T-25 I think, but check), duct tape for removing the inner pannel and probably a flathead screwdriver to use for general prying, and a block of wood to prop the window closed with :)

That being said, I can tell you from experience that it is possible to do this at a friends house, at midnight, in the rain, with a piece of firewood, and a crappy flathead screwdriver they found in their room...

This, of course, assumes that your window did not just shatter when it hit bottom.

Edited to correct torx bit size.

Last edited:

mike944

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta
Is there anything we can inspect for damage, to see if we have a failure about to happen?

I have a borescope, and can get into the door and inspect without really taking anything apart, but i don't know what to look for.

rackaracka

Veteran Member
You need a t20 for the lower screws, a large phillips driver for the two screws in the arm handle, a small flathead screwdriver for prying, a medium phillips driver for the small screw at the top of the door panel (Some models). You need a small socket set with a short extension and a 10MM socket for the door panel screws. You need a t25 for the security screw on the door handle lock blank or key tumbler. You need the triple square for the two door lock assy bolts. This will fully dissassemble everything.

If you're just looking for roadside repair to get it back up you need a yard stick and some duct tape.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
T-6? HA! T25 for the bottom screws, a stubby Phillips #2 for screw on edge near the tweeter, Phillips #3 for 3 screws under the switch panel (once you pull out its retainer and lift out the switch panel and disconnect it). Going further to remove the inner panel requires a 10mm hex socket and driver for a bunch more bolts. A T30 for the window clips behind the plugs in inner door panel and door latch bolts (may be torx or triple-square depending on vintage of vehicle). Small torx (early A4s) or special size triple-square for the door lock securing bolt.

However, your window has fallen down into the door. Grasping it is a challenge enough, and getting it to come back up is a different matter. The cables may have really bound up inside and one side may still be attached.

If the windows are tinted with a film product, I wouldn't use duct tape. It is ok for standard glass windows. You can just twist the tape so the sticky side is out where it loops over the painted surface.

Don't plan on doing an on-the-road repair. Plan on getting the car to a protected place where it can be repaired.

Growler and I recently repaired a NB. It took both of us to get the window up to the point where it could be released from the clips. Then we could remove the inner door panel, replace the cable mechanism and clips, and put it all back together. The glass had fallen all the way to the bottom of the door, and the cable was bound up in the winding mechanism.

If you're that sure it is going to break, take proactive action and replace the clips. It is a much easier job that way, and you're not carrying around stuff that you won't be able to use on a dark, rainy/sleet/snow/blizzard occassion on a road far from the nearest shelter.

All of Us

Ian's Dad
TDI
2015 NMS Passat SE TDI "Gin" 2006 A5 New Jetta TDI "Graycie" and 2003 A4 Jetta GLS TDI "Liath"
Volks:

I'm with Glen (MOGolf) on this one. This is not an "on the road" repair. Having retrieved the drivers side window from the bottom of the door on my wife's A4 Jetta yesterday this is all still fresh in my mind. And I didn't have and broken clips, tangled wires, or other window regulator parts to deal with. The window simply pulled out of the clamping mechanism on the regulator (aka clips) and dropped into the door. It was a tedious and time consuming task to take it all apart, put things right, and reassemble it all. I wouldn't call it a difficult or impossible task, but it is definitely not something you want to attempt on the roadside somewhere. Having good "how to" instructions make a world of difference too.

Dan

mike944

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta
Can you get just the clips, or just the entire "repair kit" which includes new cables, and some other stuff. Do the cables really go bad, or do they get damaged due to a clip failure?

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
The kit includes a cable and reel assembly too. If yours hasn't broken, then you can use just the clips. This is the easy way to make the repair. If the motor is running when the clip breaks, the cable can get bound up in the reel.

gaddman

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta (RC3, PD150 Injectors, GTB1749V, 2.5" Downpipe), 04 Touareg V10 (RC1)
Thanks for all the replies! I have no intention of trying this repair roadside...only in my dry, heated garage, with beerfridge handy. Just enough tools to keep the weather out until I get home. Looks like duct tape and some pliers to get the window up. If you can't get the window up, then duct tape and some plastic sheeting to make a temporary window.

I plan to swap out door cards and upgrade speakers sometime in the next few months...sounds like a good time to install metal clips before window fail.

mike944

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta
Awesome! looks like somebody else already changed the ones on my car, at least on the driver's door........

That's one less thing i need to worry about.

My car only had 60K on it when i bought it 5 1/2 years ago. Was it common for them to break that early?

All of Us

Ian's Dad
TDI
2015 NMS Passat SE TDI "Gin" 2006 A5 New Jetta TDI "Graycie" and 2003 A4 Jetta GLS TDI "Liath"
aceluck:

Yes and no. I have an '03 Jetta that has the metal clips. I believe that by '03 most, if not all, of the cars produced by VW had the "stronger" metal clips installed at the factory. However, two weeks ago my wife experienced the dreaded window drop anyway. The clips didn't break, but the window was frozen to the frame and pulled out of the clips when she tried to roll the window down. When the ice holding the window in place finally thawed the window dropped inside the door. None of the pieces broke, but the window dropped anyway. I guess the point is that if you try to roll down the window and it doesn't move make sure you remember to roll it all the way back up. There is a chance that the window glass will reinsert itself back into the clips and work perfectly without any additional work on your part. If not you will probably need to go on a fishing expedition to retrieve your window glass from inside the door.

Dan

travis45

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Sportwagen, 96 Passat TDI Sedan
My 96 Passat needs passenger front door handle replaced and window is loose from the clips. This thread has been a great start for me to see what I'm in for. Can anyone direct me to a thread with more details about taking the door apart on my car? I've been fishing around for some time now through the forums.

vagpaul

TDI
2001 golf gls tdi
i have a generic adjustable wrench with a rubber coated handle, it has been wedged inside between the glass and door panel. its been like this since before thanksgiving. has not slipped and i cannot push it open even with both hands. i guess ill fix it when the weather warms up

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
If you're looking to keep something in the car in case the window drops while you're out and about, get a few small suction cups. Pull the window as far up as you can, put a cup or two as low as you can and leave it alone until you can get home and fix the clips or replace the regulator.