www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas

VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas Discussions area for A5/MkV Jetta/Golf (2005/2006 PD and 2009 CR).

Old January 27th, 2009, 20:01   #1
rolling18
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: dam good!
Default REDICULOUSLY LOW Trade -IN

getting trade-in quotes recently had do deal with a yet another threat against the consumer/ customer

not only do we have to deal with KBB, Edmonds and NADA now theres MANHEIM!!! and there the worst!! giving only AUCTION VALUES
talking 13- 14k for 06 pkg2 w/ sunroof!! 50K
truly insulting!!!!

cant find anyplace that does not use Manheim auctions

rolling18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2009, 20:03   #2
velociT
Veteran Member

That's garbage. Have you tried carmax?
TDT for PD Mafia Member #002
Then: 06 Jetta TDI 5M *sold*
Now: 17 Ram 3500 CTD, 87 M35A2C
velociT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2009, 20:17   #3
Harvieux

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolling18
getting trade-in quotes recently had do deal with a yet another threat against the consumer/ customer

not only do we have to deal with KBB, Edmonds and NADA now theres MANHEIM!!! and there the worst!! giving only AUCTION VALUES
talking 13- 14k for 06 pkg2 w/ sunroof!! 50K
truly insulting!!!!

cant find anyplace that does not use Manheim auctions
In this a brutal economic climate. Why would you expect a dealer to give you more than what they could acquire a car similar to yours through auction? Or, better yet. Why would a dealer (especially a dealer who possibly wouldn't know what to do with a TDI if it bit them in the arse) give you more than what they may be able to off it for at an auction and God forbid if this dealer made a few bucks doing so. As sick as it makes me feel as well, your pkg. 2 with 50K is spot on at this point and time. Insulting? Only to those who only think they know the market.

I wouldn't expect most here to understand this if you're not in the business but, if someone wants to get more money for their vehicle, they need to do all the legwork themselves by listing it FS in more than one venue, take all the phone calls at all hours whether tire kickers or not, put up with cheap, low balling potential customers while taking these strangers on possibly dangerous test drives but, *** do I know, eh? "roll eyes". Later!

Last edited by Harvieux; January 27th, 2009 at 20:27.
Harvieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2009, 20:28   #4
truman
Veteran Member

A dealer can't make a living if he gives you what your car is worth. I was looking at used cars on a Ford lot the other day and I was somewhat shocked to see what moderately high end 1-2yo cars and SUVs were being offered for- pretty cheap. If they are going to sell late model vehicles cheap, then they have to beat you up on the trade in. The sword cuts both ways in this case. I have noticed a few used car dealers around here have dissappeared recently.
truman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2009, 20:29   #5
rolling18
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvieux
In this a brutal economic climate. Why would you expect a dealer to give you more than what they could acquire a car similar to yours through auction? Because I would be buying THERE already way over priced vehicle that they skrewed another customer over on. Or, better yet. Why would a dealer (especially a dealer who possibly wouldn't know what to do with a TDI if it bit them in the arse) give you more than what they may be able to off it for at an auction Because they have same risks as anyone buying an auction vehicle (you dont know anyting about the history) and God forbid if this dealer made a few bucks doing so. LOL a FEW bucks??? no dealer ever makes "a few bucks" try 1000's As sick as it makes me feel as well, your pkg. 2 with 50K is spot on at this point and time. Only with Manheim.. Insulting? Only to those who only think they know the market. Later!
No wonder people arnt buying cars.. they are getting hosed on the trades (much more than would be "fair"

I could live with a FAIR trade / deal on BOTH ends NOT a Stealership hosing you on BOTH the new vehicle AND the trade-in..

BTW yes i have decided not to trade I will keep or sell on my own, I will not take advantage of another

Old January 27th, 2009, 20:32   #6
velociT
Veteran Member

Quote:
No wonder people arnt buying cars.. they are getting hosed on the trades (much more than would be "fair"

I could live with a FAIR trade / deal on BOTH ends NOT a Stealership hosing you on BOTH the new vehicle AND the trade-in..

BTW yes i have decided not to trade I will keep or sell on my own, I will not take advantage of another
The market is definitely in uncharted territory.
Old January 27th, 2009, 20:36   #7
dausone
Veteran Member

Problem number one is that you are trading in your car to a dealership.

I think Harvieux has a couple years on his belt in dealing TDI's. I'd take his word for it.
dausone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2009, 20:41   #8
truman
Veteran Member

Imagine what it must be like for people selling a house that has to complete with foreclosures. The bottom of this mess is still someplace down the road.
truman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2009, 20:42   #9
rolling18
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dausone
Problem number one is that you are trading in your car to a dealership.

I think Harvieux has a couple years on his belt in dealing TDI's. I'd take his word for it.
Im not saying he is wrong at all...
Im just pissed about the "manheiM" auctions values where I have never had to deal with those quoted before in other trade situations..

mainly because Manheim is NOT a value refrence. its just an auction site with no detailed info.

Dealers dont even seem to use the other sources anymore where you didnt get hosed as bad. (but still plenty)

Old January 27th, 2009, 20:53   #10
1998993C2S
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 36 mpg..38, 44.5, 36, 37, 38

Ditto. What dausone said regarding Harvieux.

During the '08 summer when researching what my MY06.5 TDI was worth the wholesale value settled in the range of $18-19K. (condition being mint, really mint) Cars are like soap - all of a sudden there values gone.

The local VW dealer recently loaned me a '08 Jetta 2.5 with a Monroney lable cost of $18k in change and my thought was this used Jetta loaner with 8k miles would be a decent buy at a $12-13K wholesale purchase.
Think of it, there's plenty miles (42k) and about 4 years left on the warranty - would make for a value based comuter car... These '08 Jetta's are plentyful on the dealers lots, both new and used.
The time is now to scan the dealership lot's for a bargin ... walk in with a check book and for little money you can sort out your comuter vehicle needs for the next four - five years...
... KERMA TUNE 1++ ... FSD dampers ... GTI alloy's 17"s ... Pilot Sport A/S 3 ... RoW OEM LED's ... R.Roll screen ... Dynaudio DSP active amplifier w/Dynaudio Spkr upgrade ... Under-the-radar aesthetic ... A long legged highway sleeper

Last edited by 1998993C2S; January 28th, 2009 at 07:00.
1998993C2S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2009, 20:55   #11
cujet
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2006 Jetta

The best I could get as a trade for my car was 11K. Not good enough for me to want to "give it away". I'm dumb, but not stupid.

Chris
Old January 27th, 2009, 20:56   #12
velociT
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cujet
The best I could get as a trade for my car was 11K. Not good enough for me to want to "give it away". I'm dumb, but not stupid.
Chris
You could be "having to live with" a lot worse of a car
Old January 27th, 2009, 21:00   #13
rolling18
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by velociT
You could be "having to live with" a lot worse of a car
I agree 1000% im just gonna live with it..

Old January 27th, 2009, 21:50   #14
aja8888
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Out of TDI's
Fuel Economy: About as good as it gets!

Quote:
I agree 1000% im just gonna live with it..
That is precisely what the majority of Americans are doing now. And that is driving the new and used car dealers nuts. Consumer confidence is at an all time low in this country and people are not spending money, especially if their current car is running. This is not the time to attempt to figure out what any given car is worth, either if you are trading it, selling it, or trying to buy one.

I just picked up a 2004 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4 door, 4 cylinder, two owner, auto, nice condition (new timing belt, water pump, etc) for $2700.00 cash (private seller). My 2005 Passat TDI is "sitting"; ie: waiting for the new balance shaft retrofit when parts come in. Then I will probably pass the Elantra down to a family member when the Passat is healthly again.

As a side note, the balance shaft upgrade will cost more than I paid for the nice Elantra...

There are deals, but you have to find them. I'm glad I am not trying to sell a car right now.

Last edited by aja8888; January 27th, 2009 at 21:58.
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2009, 21:56   #15
rolling18
Veteran Member

well, one thing that might help a little is when gas prices go back up to almost $5 a gal. this summer that might slow the depreciation

except the 5.50 gal diesel prices,.. cant win