Increase IQ with Hammer Mod?

MojaveGolf

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf TDI (Stock)
I recently installed some bosch .216 nozzles, replacing the .205's I had in previously. When I first checked my IQ in VAG-COM when installing the .205's, it read 1.6-1.8. I had to raise this up to around 3 to curb the amount of smoke with the .205's. I've now cleaned my intake and done an EGR delete, and have the Bosch .216 nozzles installed, and the car is no longer smoking at all even with the IQ down at 1.6-1.8 again. Problem is, although I'm not giving more boost, I would like to get the fueling up enough to actually make use of the bigger nozzles.

I'm wondering if it is possible or wise to do the hammer mod so that fueling is increased. It seems as though a stock IQ value of around 1.6-1.8 is quite low, so I'm thinking the IP must be set quite lean. I've searched through the hammer mod threads, and the process makes sense, but I haven't seen anyone write about increasing the IQ with this method. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Have you tried fiddling with it with the adaptations again yet? I would try that first and see if you cannot get it where you need it.

Keep in mind that excessive smoke is just fuel wasted without much real power being given. Some of the BEST running modded ALHs do not smoke much at all over stock ones, believe it or not.

This is really a seat-of-the-pants type tuning method, too, as some people will have different expectations and some will have to tweak it with weather changes. When it is cold you can certainly up the fueling to take adavantage of the thicker denser air charge and better intercooling effects. But that same setting that gives neck-snapping performance on a 10 F day may give you nothing but clouds of soot behind your car on a 90 F day. :cool:

MojaveGolf

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf TDI (Stock)
I've tried playing with the adaptations in VAG with .216's in, but I've now lowered the IQ as far as I can with VAG. I'm not expecting a huge increase in power over the 205's, but I can't even get the fueling to the point where I even see a haze using VAG, so am wondering if I can give myself a better fueling range by increasing the IQ with the hammer mod.

KROUT

persona non grata
If you lower the iq number it increases fuel. If you raise the number you decrease the fuel. If you set it much lower than you have it now it may not idle to well, and you may get some slowdown shutter if you dont already.

MojaveGolf

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf TDI (Stock)
I realize that the lowe the IQ number, the higher the injected quantity. right now I think it's running quite lean even though the IQ is down around 1.8. Currently it starts and idles fine, and has no slowdown shudder, so I'm thinking of hammer modding it to get more fuel, then adjust the IQ in VAG so that I don't have any start/idle/slowdown shudder issues. Is this possible? If I have a stock adaptation value in VAG which has an IQ of around 1.8, and I hammer to increase fueling, what will this do to the IQ value in VAG?

KROUT

persona non grata
You can lower it that way. I never like the way my car ran with the iq any lower than what your at now. Why not just do the evry mod. Its cheap and adds fuel.

MojaveGolf

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf TDI (Stock)
ok, I think this is making more sense to me now. Basically I could take the IQ value lower than the 1.8 I'm at now with the hammer mod to increase fueling, but this could cause some stability issues. I'll look into the evry mod, but perhaps I should just bite the bullit and get a tune that can increase the fueling and boost at the same time and be done with it. I just thought that with bigger nozzles I should be able to get more fuel to the engine than with the 205's, especially seeing as there isn't a whisp of smoke even at an IQ of 1.8

mojogoes

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk3 tdi golf
If you think its on the lean side at the iq setting you have you could dial back the iq in adaptations to around 5 or 6 mk the pump and do a +hammer mod for more fuel............if it still doesn't give you the amount of fuel you want/need you can always dial some more in in adaptations.

MojaveGolf

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf TDI (Stock)
I might give that a try this afternoon and see what results I can come up with. Thanks for all the help guys. much appreciated.

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
Lol, this is crazy, hammer mod for more fuel in top end .. just leave the pump as it is and do evry mod or get a tune..

mojogoes

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk3 tdi golf
Yes ivry mod is cheap and hammer mod is even cheaper......but yes ultimately a new tune will make the car sing the best..........LOL

chimaera

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Skoda Superb Combi CR170
If you're going to do this mod, be really careful. If your IQ drops to 0, bad things happen, and it doesn't take much movement on the pump to get there. Like mojogoes said, put the IQ up as high as possible with adaptations before starting.