2018 Passat R Line

oldhifi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI Lux
Picking up my 2018 Passat R Line for $21,260 Saturday, out the door, is that a good price?

kulak

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat NMS
If it has the lighting package it isn’t too bad. I picked up an 18 SE no lighting pkg for 19k plus tax tag title.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
2018 still have 1.8t or is it the detuned 2.0t b cycle from the tiq?

Wish they made the R Line more "R" than badges and appearance packages, no DSG until you get the V6 :(

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Even the GT is largely cosmetic. Friend just bought one, it is a nice car, in the same way an Impala SS is. Still feels like a boring rental car to me, just gussied up. But, the price reflects this, so you really can't complain about that.

Aside from the GTI and Golf R, if you want performance beyond badges, you'll need to visit the Audi dealer (and open up your wallet).

I'm still not a fan of the newer VAG gas engines. It is Thursday, and I have already replaced TWO rear main seals on EA888s this week. :rolleyes:

I think the best thing the NMS ever had going for it was it could be had with a diesel and three pedals. That's gone. :(

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Even the GT is largely cosmetic. Friend just bought one, it is a nice car, in the same way an Impala SS is. Still feels like a boring rental car to me, just gussied up. But, the price reflects this, so you really can't complain about that.
GT has the VR6 and DSG no?

"With a standard 2.0-liter turbocharged engine, or the 3.6L V6 on the Special GT and the SEL Premium, it’s easy to move at the speed of family."

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Yes, hers has the VR6 (although they just call them V6s now) and the DSG. But it isn't anything different than they've had available before the GT version came out. Hardly see any of the DI VR6s outside of the T'regs. I know they had some issues early on with the jack shaft gear bolt snapping off suddenly without warning. I assume it was due to taking the already weak chain driven camshaft arrangement and adding the extra stress of turning a HPFP, but I think they have it sorted out now. They like to eat the variable displacement water pumps.... easy in the T'regs, not so easy in the transverse cars, just like always.

scrambld

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta...TDI/5spd :) >>>now a '15 Passat TDI/DSG
2018 still have 1.8t or is it the detuned 2.0t b cycle from the tiq?

Wish they made the R Line more "R" than badges and appearance packages, no DSG until you get the V6 :(
Yeah, I agree it needs more "R" for me as well. My wish list for an "R" would be a better tune...power/management, suspension/tires, and brakes. I guess that would be the incorporation of GTI/GLI or Golf R componentry....? LOL

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Im sure there will be some tuning options for the b cycle "detuned" 2.0t they are installing on everything these days, it'll just be a matter of time.

How much were they trying to milk out of you? the number of VW dealers around I'm amazed they still pull this stuff.

Try Seacoast VW in Greenland NH they used to offer "no haggling" prices, we bought out '12 Passat TDI there and only gotcha they tried was the extended warranty sales pitch at signing, just keep saying no and you'll be fine.