new to SD cards and music

Status
Not open for further replies.

Niner

duplicate account, banned
Just found out I have all kinds of music files in "My Music" on windows 7, but this system has to have them all in MP3 format. Like not MPEG4, ACC or anything else. Be kind to an old man, I grew up with 33 1/3 Licorice Pizza's and needles, with burning them to cassettes for Sony Walkmans.

What to do? How do I convert them all to MP3 format?

Last edited:

APT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
Do you have CDs you like to listen to as well? Those are relatively easy to get onto an SD card for your car. You can use Media Player in Windows 7 to "rip" them to your My Music collection and the copy/paste on the SD card. There will be some settings for the format you want to rip, like MP3, and the bitrate (choose at least 192kbps).

Converting what you have to mp3 is not always easy or free. I do not think Media player does it. iTunes is free and can convert media, but I think only to formats not supported by your car's radio.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
itunes can convert file formats to MP3, or ACC or any other decent format, you can change what to converth the files to in the preferances.

It'll create a duplicate file and show up twice in the itunes library. Search for other thrid party apps that will do batch MP3 conversions, they are out there.

Niner

yeah, learn something new every day. Plug a Sd card in after doing cut and paste, that I know has 2.4 Gig of music on it, and only 9 cds show up on the player in the passat... I was beginning to wonder if the SD card was defective... put it back in the laptop, and they all play just fine. What the Fark?

Something in me said... wait for it.... RTFM! Sure enough it is in there, card reads MP3 files only.... go back to the laptop to see what kind of files aren't reading and they are all.... 95% of them MPEG.4 files. Of course Apple has to have their own ACC files, so everything on Itunes is whacked. File maintenance... hate to say it or sound sexist, but I had a secretary for that back in the day.

yamaguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE 6man TDI, 2014 F-350 PSD, 2003 F-350 7.3 PSD, John Deere 2032R, Cub Cadet 882
I'm sure if you would have looked in your owners manual, you would of found your answer!!

Last edited:

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE 6MT (BB'd), 2015 Passat TDI SE 6MT
The stock "Media Player" app in Windows 7 has a "rip" functionality. So you stick a CD in and she rips the audio tracks to wmv and/or MP3. Don't go crazzy with higher bit rates, it will consume more space for little gain in clarity.

So you'll end up with bunch of folders under your Music folder,each corresponding to a CD and under each folder you will have .mp3 files, one per song, properly tagged and everything. In other words, inside of each file, there will be information identifying the album, performer, track etc. Copy the folders to SD card and you should be all set.

Some of us consider iTunes to be a giant virus :)

Niner

The stock "Media Player" app in Windows 7 has a "rip" functionality. So you stick a CD in and she rips the audio tracks to wmv and/or MP3. Don't go crazzy with higher bit rates, it will consume more space for little gain in clarity.

So you'll end up with bunch of folders under your Music folder,each corresponding to a CD and under each folder you will have .mp3 files, one per song, properly tagged and everything. In other words, inside of each file, there will be information identifying the album, performer, track etc. Copy the folders to SD card and you should be all set.

Some of us consider iTunes to be a giant virus :)
Iturds is one of the biggest hemorrhoids I've ever had the pleasure of having reoccurring bouts with in music file management. They got it wrong for ACC files.

I've basically dumped to the Recycle bin all "My music" files, craploads of old stuff in MPEG4, set Windows 11 Media Player up to load in MP3 format all tunes on to my hard drive. No idea why anyone would call something "Rip"... I only do that to my pants, shorts, or when flatulating loudly. Sometimes after doing so, a good rip, especially after good spicy Mexican food, I can "burn" at the same time!

Last edited:

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
Niner,

JIC :), when u move stuff to "Recycle Bin", you normally dont actually remove it, the files are simply moved to a different folder, while still consuming the valuable disk space, I figure I point it out.

To actually remove files, either configure Windows to remove them right away or select "empty recycle bin" - to get to both options, right click on the bin.

My favorite Mexican is "New Mexican" - as in NM ... delicious :), much lighter than regular mexican food ... but we digress :)

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
Skip the iTunes and Apple products you will get into digital media copyright issues with that product.

Get the "Free Easy Burner" software from http://www.koyotesoft.com/ .

Ignore symantec and it's FALSE warning about a trojan virus on the site.

I have downloaded this product for this site many times without issue. Norton does NOT always get it right. Besides if you read the details for Norton it states that it is in some datamngr product, not the burner software.

As well, when I downloaded the executable file Norton finds NOTHING in the file indicating any virus.

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
Niner,

JIC :), when u move stuff to "Recycle Bin", you normally dont actually remove it, the files are simply moved to a different folder, while still consuming the valuable disk space, I figure I point it out.

To actually remove files, either configure Windows to remove them right away or select "empty recycle bin" - to get to both options, right click on the bin.

My favorite Mexican is "New Mexican" - as in NM ... delicious :), much lighter than regular mexican food ... but we digress :)
Technically it isn't moved at all. The directory blocks in the Filesystem are repointed, representing a different "directory" location. :)

Niner

Yes! almost 4 Gig of MP3 file music on a tiny little card, no more CD's to haul around. Well, it's a start, at least for me... May have to do a road trip rocking everything from Alanis Morisette to "Tube Steak Boogie" by ZZ Top!

Thanks to everyone in this thread for the pointers and suggestions on the how to. :thumbsup

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
Tres Hombres all the way ! Those cards are dirt cheap nowadays, last forever and easy to copy/remove stuff to/fro.

APT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
What do you people think of the interface for the SD cards and phone control? I have yet to be impressed with any OEM implementation of iPhone/iPod control. It seems a lot more cumbersome than the portable device itself when starting to play a new playlist or specific album or song. And the phone controls are then locked out - grrr. I do like the track advance through steering wheel controls. Is the SD card interface any better?

I find the BT streaming great. Full control on the phone media player, track advance/rewind through steering wheel. And I can use a 12v USB charger when I want instead of MDI. But have to investigate the stereo separation issue someone found.

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes! almost 4 Gig of MP3 file music on a tiny little card, no more CD's to haul around. Well, it's a start, at least for me... May have to do a road trip rocking everything from Alanis Morisette to "Tube Steak Boogie" by ZZ Top!

Thanks to everyone in this thread for the pointers and suggestions on the how to. :thumbsup
Now figure out how to transfer it to the internal hard drive (30 GB worth) and you do not even need the SD card anymore. :)

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
Just a comment... I got an iTunes card for Xmas some years ago. In activating it, my spider sense was set to tingling as I entered deeper and deeper into the intrusive Apple gauntlet of forced submission. I just wanted to download some tunes, not commit my firstborn to Apple slavery. I bailed part way through and gave the card to my 14 yr. old nephew. End of iTunes for me. MS isn't much better, in a different yet equally perverse way.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I've never bought any thing off itunes and have never given them CC info, but as a music player/song management app, it does everthing I need. It does all the file folder organization (artist/album/song) you guys mention other apps.

You only get into DRM issues when you buy from itunes, all my music was either aquired from CDs or friends CDs/computers before DRM.

Niner

I received a $50 gift card for Itunes years ago... still have $15 worth of music to buy... and had to burn CD's from it, to then reload and "rip" in Windows Media Player to get it back to MP3 files. Way too much BS if you ask me. I'm done with Itunes.

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
MyAvocation... a bit OT but, JFK must have been some kind of transcendental, H.G. Well-ish futurist. Maybe he and Al Gore should schedule a debate. :rolleyes:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
too late DOJ is already on it!

Sharky

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI manual, 2012 Passat TDI manual
X2 in agreement.

I hate Apple and Microsoft equally.
which leaves you with .... linux ?

Until the explosion of Apple/iTunes, I always used Winamp.

I have learned to live with iTunes and now works really well for me.
I can stream videos/photos/music via appleTV to my big screen TV.
The kids love it.

I am also just getting into hi-fi audio and have to convert 24 bit FLAC files as iTunes/Channel D Pure Music does not work with FLAC.

Kchorro

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
...you all know that you can have your music from itunes in MP3 format if you want. If you rip a CD into itunes you can chose the file format to transfer the song to your computer..like mp3, AAC, or etc.. Or if you buy a song or a whole LP you can convert the into mp3 files in few seconds... I think it's better to understand how to get around of all itunes BS.
At the end in my opinion, itunes still the best player to manage your playlist of movies, videos, songs and more..

By the way, I considering myself a conservative, a republican, NRA life Member, and long time apple fan for years. I have had ALL iPod, iPhone, ipads and Apple TV's models that have exits.. ALL MODELS... and I am a MAC user for work and for personal use for years.. Off course they're not perfect but are million times better and user friendly that the BS of Microsoft..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.