TDI's in Illinois

Magi'sGolf

TDI
2005 GOLF TDI GLS; 2004 Golf GLS TDI, TOTALLED on her way to western Europe to be parted out.
THere are so many TDI's in Illinois and so far I seem to be the only one with a TDICLUB sticker.

ANybody else out there in the Metro East? :confused:

Sip'n Diesel

Veteran Newbie
San Joaquin Valley, I have VCDS (KII-USB)
TDI
2003 ALH: 254,000 miles
I haven't got around to getting that sticker yet, or a license plate frame either. I hear they're good for about +10 HP though!:cool:

most of the TDIs I see in the area don't have any TDIClub stuff on them either, I have a feeling there are many folks who don't even know this fine forum exists:eek:

Metro East? are you saying you live in Lake Michigan?:confused::p

Magi'sGolf

TDI
2005 GOLF TDI GLS; 2004 Golf GLS TDI, TOTALLED on her way to western Europe to be parted out.
silly...

The Metro East is a very specific area in Illinois east of St Louis. It has it's own chamber of commerce and federal funding and all that.

The TDICLUB sticker is well worth it.

When you rev at the stoplight or punch the pedal and show the car beside you that you are serious about your diesel they smile and give you the thumbs up.

It's all about power and the TDI has the power on the hiway for it's size.

Besides, nobody really expects a little VW to have that kind of get up and go!

eats1963

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
I live down near Kankakee, but commute to the North side of Chicago every day for work (83 miles each way). I often see other TDI's on the road, but none have club plate frames or stickers. I have a JasonTDI plate frame on mine, and a "What's a gas station" sticker in my rear window. I travel I-57 to the Ryan to LSD.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I have lots of customer's from the East Side. Fairview Hts, Collinsville, Alton, Mascoutah, Breeze, Glen Carbon, just to name a few.

ChubsAuto

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2005 TDI Passat, 2003 Jetta Sedan
Neither me or my girl have any TDIClub stuff on our cars, I live in Taylorville and during the school year she lives in Edwardsville. I need to get some for both our cars, when ever I see a TDI on the road I always wonder if there a board member. If you a black B4 Passat around the Taylorville area that probably me, and if you see a green B4 Passat with a black hood and grill surround around E-vill thats probably my girlfriend.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
I've put out over 1500 plate frames FWIW. I get reports from clients all the time they see my plate frames.

I even have them on my Jeep!

sickmtbnutcase

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI DSG
You may see WI plates (Boucher plate frames) on a black 09 TDI in the northwest Chicago burbs - would be my wife going to/from work.

Jason, saw a plate frame of yours on a car here at work the other day. A guy on my team had his auto swapped for a manual in his Jetta TDI about a year ago; IIRC I think it was you who did since he had it done in Madison. The guy's name is the character for McDonalds :)...if you remember.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Yep. R McDonald. Good guy.

He was having some issues with it and was concerned it was the swap. Nope. Bad starter! All is well.

FWIW that thing was a PIG! It had a plugged intake, a dead MAF and a bad trans.....ughh....we timed it at 27 seconds to 60mph!!!!! Not the case anymore!

K5ING

Mega-Miler
TDI
Silver 2001 Golf GL TDI 5-speed
I had my silver Golf TDI in Illinois about a month ago. Texas plates, TDI Club sticker and my handle for the license plate. St. Louis to Aurora along I-55 and back again a few days later. Anyone spot me?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
K5ING said:
I had my silver Golf TDI in Illinois about a month ago. Texas plates, TDI Club sticker and my handle for the license plate. St. Louis to Aurora along I-55 and back again a few days later. Anyone spot me?
I spotted you!!!! :D :D :D

troopertripp

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDI
I have both a sticker and a plate frame on the rear of my 2000 Jetta. I cruise Rt. 12 from Arlington Heights to the "Cheese Curtain" several times a week.:D

GibMir1

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta w/DSG Grenade
My TDI

is known to frequent IL-59 as well as the major expressways in the greater chicagoland area.

I run covert - no plate cover (yet!) - but a cool hood deflector that covers the leading edge of my car...

Magi'sGolf

TDI
Awesome! Let's keep this thread going if we see another one or when we are trollin' the roads from here to there or there to here!

BlueTwo D2 loves seeing other VW's on the hiways and also likes Mini-Coopers(it's a Jedi thing I think) When I plug in the Vag-Com it says, "do you have permission to be doing this? who are you anyway?" HA HA

Jack_Berry

Veteran Member
TDI
02 jetta sedan
its easy to tell if it is my car. sometimes seen aro hoffman est or cicero and peterson area. mom lives in sauganash.
some guy put a jason tdi put a bracket on my wisc license plate. it also has the 5 light mod.
wife often seen knitting in passenger seat.

Last edited:

PHJ426

Hemi-Head
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon Reflex Silver
If your in the south burbs or south side of Chicago you might see the 03 Silver Jetta wagon I bought from Jason last year.

Sometimes on the highway Bishop Ford, I80 or I57 and even a stop or two a week at the 95th Street Fishery, Fish joint on the 95th street bridge they jumped in the Blues Brothers.

drrck

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS MKIV
I used to be seen in Peoria and going b/t Peoria and Aurora on 55/80... but not since I moved.

Bronco648

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle
You'll see my batik blue NB occasionally on the I-290 extension (aka 53) and in/around the Schaumburg area. The Beetle "rests" during the warmer months while I ride my motorcycle or my scooter (both get better fuel mileage). When the temps plummet, the bikes "go to sleep" and the TDi takes over. The NB is bone stock with the VW aftermarket (Autobahn?) chrome dual exhaust tips.

PHJ426

Hemi-Head
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon Reflex Silver
The wagon is holding up well, 132K on it now.

If I keep on driving it only 20K miles or so a year it looks to be my daily driver for another ten years easily.

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
Spotted: '09 black JSW about 3:45-4:00 on the ramp from the Eisenhower to northbound Mannheim road. You were behind me then in front of me and we waved a couple of times. I was in my Blue Graphite '09 Sedan with TDIClub plate frame and IL Plate TRBODSL.

Hope you're a member of the forum here! If not, you should be!

sfierz

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Tornado Red Passat
You'll find me: tornado red 1996 Passat TDI with spoiler and lots of bumper stickers in Rockford, Dekalb, Sycamore, or the surrounding area. Also, the wife's silver Y2K NB in similar places.

lovemybug

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Red Beetle
I spotted a possible modded TDI Golf today on Hwy 12 around the Wauconda area. It was a blacked out Golf with no badges on the back. Tinted windows, the whole nine yards. I'm pretty sure it was a TDI because every time he hit the go pedal a good size cloud of black smoke would come out. I did happen to get a look at the front of the car and there was a huge intercooler sticking out just under the front bumper. It did have IL plates on it. If that was anyone here, I was the red Beetle that was close by and that you came around just south of the Volo intersection on 12.

eats1963

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
I spotted you yesterday on my way home from work. You were on I-57 heading south and getting on to I-80 West. You passed me (01 Jetta with "whats a gas station" sticker in rear window) right before the rain came down.

dzcad90 said:
Spotted: '09 black JSW about 3:45-4:00 on the ramp from the Eisenhower to northbound Mannheim road. You were behind me then in front of me and we waved a couple of times. I was in my Blue Graphite '09 Sedan with TDIClub plate frame and IL Plate TRBODSL.

Hope you're a member of the forum here! If not, you should be!

All of Us

Ian's Dad
TDI
2015 NMS Passat SE TDI "Gin" 2006 A5 New Jetta TDI "Graycie" and 2003 A4 Jetta GLS TDI "Liath"
Volks:

Just a reminder, if you want to see lots of TDIs in Illinois, stop by Jettalee and Bill's place in Coulterville this Saturday. She is holding her inagural GTG at their new place. For more details check out the Midwest Forum.

Dan

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
eats1963 said:
I spotted you yesterday on my way home from work. You were on I-57 heading south and getting on to I-80 West. You passed me (01 Jetta with "whats a gas station" sticker in rear window) right before the rain came down.
LOL.. I saw you too. Looked like you were trying to make another run at the 800 mile club ;)

Noticed your JasonTDI frame and your stickers. I used to have a silver '03 that looked just like yours :)

I've only seen one or two other TDIClub frames. I can be seen on every major expressway and in every part of the city, from the edens counterclockwise to 57. I try and stay off the ford as much as possible :) Our organization has locations all over and I'm out at least once a week. I see lots of TDIs but never get the thumbs up or the wave :(

Last edited: