TDI
80 Rabbit,84 jetta,85 Jetta,03 Cummins, 2012 Passat SE 6MT Tdi
You can fill up the adblue youself correct? I assuming just becaue of
the refill in the trunk

Niner

duplicate account, banned
You can fill up the adblue youself correct? I assuming just becaue of
the refill in the trunk
You can but it's a 5 + gallon tank, and gets refilled at your 10,000, 20,000 and 30,000 mile services by the dealership when they do the services that were paid for by you in the price of your car. Probably really won't have to do it yourself until your 40,000 mile oil & filter as well as fuel filter change. Get an empty container from the dealership when they do your 10,000 mile service.

cj42

TDI
What I was thinking I was keeping it top off so It would reduce the slaushing issue that some people have reported hear inside while driving. Just a thought. Thanks.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
I've got just over 4k...sloshing seems to come and go, some days, it's LOUD, others, not a sound. I'm also not sure it's always the Adblue I'm hearing, as previous gen TDIs have "sloshy" fuel tanks.

I'll bet it's not worth fussing over, risking spillage (odor? corrosion?), and inconvenience.

I've not watched one being filled, but I imagine holding a 2.5g. jug at a very odd angle while it empties is a bit awkward. (I can see that I'll line the trunk with plastic before each "service"!)

(After reading the previous line again, you might be onto something, as it WOULD be much more convenient to fill more often with a smaller container.)

Last edited:

Niner

Only have a few tank fillups, but I notice the sloshing the most when I've burned 3 to 5 gallons of fuel after a complete top off, from 130 to 250 -270 miles on the trip odometer. I think it's the fuel tank, YMMV

cj42

TDI
Good to know. Fuel seems to make more sense since there is alot more volume of fuel vs adblue.

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
What I was thinking I was keeping it top off so It would reduce the slaushing issue that some people have reported hear inside while driving. Just a thought. Thanks.
TDI's are low maintenance. Drive more worry less to quote another member. I personally do not notice any sloshing.

Have you actually heard it or are you anticipating it?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
head over to your mercedes dealership they'll be glad to service your bluetec engine, makesure it's in tip top shape. Plus I think their prices of adblue are cheaper than VW dealers.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
So, the newest TDI is a MB engine? Really? How about the 09>>>?

I believe it has SHARED "bluetec" technology, but IS a VW engine...unless I missed something in its development.

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
I've got just over 4k...sloshing seems to come and go, some days, it's LOUD, others, not a sound. I'm also not sure it's always the Adblue I'm hearing, as previous gen TDIs have "sloshy" fuel tanks.

I'll bet it's not worth fussing over, risking spillage (odor? corrosion?), and inconvenience.

I've not watched one being filled, but I imagine holding a 2.5g. jug at a very odd angle while it empties is a bit awkward. (I can see that I'll line the trunk with plastic before each "service"!)

(After reading the previous line again, you might be onto something, as it WOULD be much more convenient to fill more often with a smaller container.)
The Adblue fill containers have a special lid. You can invert the bottle and nothing will come out. You have to place the bottle on the Adblue filler neck and press down on the bottle to release the product into the Adblue tank. At least thats how the Benz bottles work. So, it the VW filler is the same it doesn't matter what awkward angle its at,the product will only come out of the bottle when you press the bottle down. Releasing the downward pressure shuts the nozzle and keeps the Adblue from spilling out.

Last edited:

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
An '05 MBZ E-320 CDI (W-211) replaced the '10 TDI JSW
Good to Know but

:)

Good to know, but I really have no need to know about such things, unless of course
I should win the lottery and be buying a new 'S' klass diesel which uses the stuff! :p

My 2005 does not need it, thank you! Just 19 gallons of plain old D2 every 700 miles!

:D

Derrel

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks, Dweisel. Now I know it's no big deal.
Audi,BMW,MB and VW all have different part numbers for the SAME bottle. So,I assume all four manufacturers use the same filling procedure. Did they actually ''standardize'' something?

One other thing. I did read somewhere that Adblue does have a shelf life. The MB Service Schedule calls for draining/pumping out the old Adblue at 2 years and refilling with fresh Adblue. Not sure if the other 3 manufactrers are the same or simlar.

Last edited:

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That was the next question to be answered. MB has decided that just replenishing isn't sufficient to keep it fresh? Wonder if that logic is still current, now that they've put a few million miles on their BlueTecs. Following this logic, it's probably best to run it dry (almost) before refilling, no?

I haven't checked, but I thought all the bottles were 2.5gal at the VW dealer, hence my comment about bulky/awkward. Are smaller bottles available?

Last edited:

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That was the next question to be answered. MB has decided that just replenishing isn't sufficient to keep it fresh? Wonder if that logic is still current, now that they've put a few million miles on their BlueTecs. Following this logic, it's probably best to run it dry (almost) before refilling, no?

I haven't checked, but I thought all the bottles were 2.5gal at the VW dealer, hence my comment about bulky/awkward. Are smaller bottles available?
I don't think you can ''run it dry'' The MB gives you a countdown of remaining starts At 20 STARTS REMAINING on down. If you use up the 20 starts without refilling the Adblue you will not be able to start the engine. I'm not sure how much Adblue is left when you get to 1 start remaining.

I have not checked any dealers to see if the dispensing bottles are available.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I didn't mean to literally "run it dry"...I just meant to get it down within the "warning" range. Someone must know how much actual fluid is remaining at that point.
Hmmm...MB recommends (requires?) a total drain every 2 years? I wonder how difficult that is, and if VW owners should do it every time they fill, assuming it's a small amount of fluid left?

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I didn't mean to literally "run it dry"...I just meant to get it down within the "warning" range. Someone must know how much actual fluid is remaining at that point.
Hmmm...MB recommends (requires?) a total drain every 2 years? I wonder how difficult that is, and if VW owners should do it every time they fill, assuming it's a small amount of fluid left?
I'm just going to evacuate out whatever Adblue fluid is left next week. Depending on IF I can get it all,I may rinse with some distilled water or fresh Adblue fluid and vac that out to see what if anything comes out. Then refill with fresh Adblue.

You would have to ask a VW Tech how they handle Adblue refilling and service.............not that the tech would do it by the book.

Last edited:

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
..and what would the shelf life of that processed beer be?

I think we're all seriously over-dramatizing this.

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
..and what would the shelf life of that processed beer be?

I think we're all seriously over-dramatizing this.
I guess you've got no sense of humor...........it was a joke. On a serious note. Its always going to be cheaper to DIY than to go in for dealer service. I did read somewhere that a MB Dealership charged around $320 for a 7.2 gallon refill. Sorta pricey to say the least. AutoZone sells 2.5 gallons of Peak for $11.99.

Last edited:

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
I've been told that on some MB models, they actually have to reset the AdBlue module if the level gets too low

I guess you've got no sense of humor...........it was a joke. On a serious note. Its always going to be cheaper to DIY than to go in for dealer service. I did read somewhere that a MB Dealership charged around $320 for a 7.2 gallon refill. Sorta pricey to say the least. AutoZone sells 2.5 gallons of Peak for $11.99.

Niner

I'm not sure where I remember reading it, maybe it was the owners manual, but upon refilling the tank with DEF, you need to turn the ignition to the "run" position for 30 seconds to reset the level indicator, then start the motor.

Yeah, procedure is on pages 241-244 in the owners manual.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
4 pages of DEF procedures. Gotta love it! ;)

listerone

Veteran Member
TDI
2018 BMW 540d
Not sure what VW charges,but at some point it may pay the 2012 Passat owners to have an Adblue top off GTG. $186 for 55 gallons. Of course you also have to pay to have it shipped.

The only way that a 55 gallon drum makes sense is if you drive about 100K miles a year.You can assume that you'll get 10K miles from about 6 gallons of DEF and DEF *does* have a shelf life of two years from manufacture date.

It's cheap enough and easy enough so that buying it 5 gallons at a time is sufficient for most folks.