Emissions Workshop Warning Message

ctsoh

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI Wagon, 2002 New Beetle TDI, Blue
Yesterday my 05 B5 Passat flashed a warning message, "emissions workshop" and a little engine light in the dash. I stopped by AutoZone and they put a code reader on it, reading P0673, which they interpreted as "Cylinder 3 Glow Plug Circuit, and open or short circuit condition."

I never went back for my glow plug recall. Have I lost the right to do so, since it has been over a year? Any recommendations?

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon, 2004 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wagon
If you never had any glow plug recall, it should be covered. If you have the steel plugs put in at the first recall 3 years ago, you may still be covered but it appears that VW may have changed it's policy on this (some have had success and others have not). The fact that you have a failure may automatically give you coverage with the recall.

If you call your dealer and give them your VIN #, they can confirm coverage.

Make sure you ask to see the glow plugs they removed to be sure that they didn't break off any tips in your engine.

Good luck

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
The failure message may mean that the glow plug has already broken and failed. The dealer's removal of an already broken plug does not imply that "they" broke it.

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon, 2004 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wagon
True.

But hopefully, if it's broken, you can look at the break and determine if it broke before they took it out. A clean break not covered in soot would likely indicate a break on removal.

Frankly, although I wrote it, I don't really even subscribe to the idea of asking for your plugs back. A dealer or service tech who wouldn't tell you if they broke a plug would also probably go out and find a different set of plugs to show you in order to cover their ass.

So you would actually have to somehow mark the plugs indiscreetly.

ctsoh

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks, I went to a dealer and made an appointment for Monday am to have the glow plugs replaced. I'll let you know what happens.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
your car will probably run smoother afterwards as the gp recall changes the software in the ecu. And you will be set for colder weather starts as well.

ctsoh

Veteran Member
TDI
Went to dealer today and had glow plugs replaced. I asked to see the old glow plugs and the service manager said he could not show them to me because they had to be shipped back to VW. I thought that was a bit bogus, but what could I do? The car drives fine, no noticeable difference. But, it is 70 degrees outside and I must wait until winter to see if cold weather is an issue with these plugs.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
you won't be disappointed with the cold starts and you may find it idles smoother in gear already

LoneLIPumpeDuse

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat,04,BLUE GRAPHITE PRL
errrrrr?

Yes they send them back, did they go out express mail;):rolleyes: You won't know any bad news for a couple months or around 5 or 6k miles (ask me how I know:rolleyes:) if they broke one. I'd have them write on the service bill that customer was unable to inspect used glow plugs and is concerned that one may have broke off in the cylinder during repair. You'll save some greif if they did.

Went to dealer today and had glow plugs replaced. I asked to see the old glow plugs and the service manager said he could not show them to me because they had to be shipped back to VW. I thought that was a bit bogus, but what could I do? The car drives fine, no noticeable difference. But, it is 70 degrees outside and I must wait until winter to see if cold weather is an issue with these plugs.

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
True.

But hopefully, if it's broken, you can look at the break and determine if it broke before they took it out. A clean break not covered in soot would likely indicate a break on removal.

Frankly, although I wrote it, I don't really even subscribe to the idea of asking for your plugs back. A dealer or service tech who wouldn't tell you if they broke a plug would also probably go out and find a different set of plugs to show you in order to cover their ass.

So you would actually have to somehow mark the plugs indiscreetly.
Really? You think they have extras just sitting around to cover their butts? That is pretty darn cynical. If you don't trust the shop this much then why are you even going there? Just because you might get the problem fixed for free?

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
Not that unusual. Unless you asked for them in advance they won't save them, and they are indeed being asked to return them.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
If you have a way to scan your ECU, you can tell if they reflashed it with the new program. I took my last TDI for the latest and greatest update. They replaced the plugs and said they flashed the ECU, but I did not verify. Sent to Jeff at RC for an RCII and he said it had the steel GP program still in it. He upgraded to the latest GP program.

Sadly, I know these guys at the dealership and I'm ticked about it.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
it would be very easy for VW to catch the dealer. the claim would show the 4 gps, and the software gets downloaded from their system. a dealer would be very foolish to submit a claim and not do the software update as they most certainly would get the claim rejected.

ctsoh

Veteran Member
TDI
I believe they did the flash, as the car feels different. To me it feels as if the acceleration is not as great when I floor-it and the acceleration is smoother.
It also seems to have less lag time on acceleration. I am not sure how to describe it, but it is different. As far as fuel used, it is too early to tell a difference.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
fuel consumption probably will be about same. your idle in gear will most likely have less vibration.

jryan11518

TDI
Passat 2.0 2004
I had the dealership do the recall on GP. All good before and after. Emissions light has been on and off for about a year. I have dealer work on it every time I have oil changed. As of today they can not figure it out. This emissions workshop is intermittant in my car. Bottom line dealer can not figure it out.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
the code should be stored and able to be retrieved unless I'm mistaken. Its indicating something thats outside the parameters called for. perhaps a tiny boost hose leak.