resetting brake light switch?

pastvast

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
My brake light switch is failing. DH went and got one from the dealer, but when installing it, his foot slipped off the brake pre-maturely. Now the switch has set itself at the wrong point and doesn't work correctly. Can the switch be re-set?

I'm aware that the switch is under a recall notice. Hence, DH getting the part for free from dealership. I'd prefer not having to go back to (a different) dealership to have them install a new one. Don't ask... it's a VW dealership customer service (or lack thereof) experience.

Thanks!

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
One thing not mentioned in that how to is that after you let the brake pedal ratchet the switch in, before locking the switch in place, pull up on the brake pedal. The switch will probably click once more. Some had problems with the rear brakes dragging because the switch pushed the pedal down ever so slightly.

-J

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Although this is a very old Thread, I thought I'd bring it back to the top as when doing an Internet search on "setting VW brake switch" a link to this thread is close to the top as a good source.

However, the link referenced above to the NewBeetle dot org website is broke.

So, below is a link to a good YouTube by Corey at Idparts. Not only does he demonstrate how to install the switch, but he explains that it is a new design and doesn't need setting and that nothing inside breaks ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCLh3Jccaao