Stripped bolt remover, harmonic balancer

Bob702

TDI
99.5 Jetta GLS ALH 5 Speed
So I got the Craftsman bolt out kit because 1 of my 6 mm harmonic balancer bolts rounded out on me. I soaked it with liquid wrench penetrating oil and hit it with a hammer, but it still stripped. So I'm going to try the remover tomorrow. Do I need to knock it all the way on, or when you turn it does the bolt remover go further in place because of helical shape? Has anyone ever used this and it not work? Or has it always been successful? I figure if it didn't turn out the head may snap off and then I'll just be placing a post about how to best tap it out ;) Thanks!

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
I've never had it not work.

Just give it a smart smack with your hammer to drive it onto the head.

If the head snaps off the balancer will come off and you will be able to unscrew the remaining portion of the bolt by hand.

Bob702

TDI
I tried that smart smack with the hammer to drive it on, and then some! But it wouldnt stick on to the head of the bolt so I could start unscrewing it. It just skipped around. I'm going to try my friends impact gun tomorrow in the hopes that I can get some leverage behind it. That way I'm thinking even if it skips the force being applied behind it may drive it down on to the head. Any other ideas or input? Thanks!

dogdots

Vendor
TDI
None
Just drive a 12mm 12point socket on there, it will come out. If not, just drill thru the head until it snaps off, then you can finger the remnant out.

Bob702

TDI
I was thinking I'd try getting the blue point tfsy13a. Atleast with that I can buy just the bit I need instead of a whole set. So it's the 13, not 12? If that doesn't work for whatever reason then I guess the heads coming off and I'll try to turn it out once I get the balancer off.

Bob702

TDI
Gotcha. I think the set I originally bought only went to the #7. I just got the impact grade set today which has more bits, but it was $60! That's why I was thinking the blue point cuz I can buy the one bit for like $20.

Bob702

TDI
So do you guys think I should go right to the impact? Or try a standard socket wrench first?

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS

hevster1

Vendor
TDI
98 NB
You can drill the bolt head off with a quality cobalt bit in about 3 minutes. After it is off the remainder of the screw should come out by hand.

DidJettarun

Veteran Member
TDI
A5 2005.5 Jetta A4 2003 Jetta
Please explain to me how when the bolt will not unscrew by hand now, hence the need for bolt outs etc that it will just unscrew by hand after bolt head is removed. You will just be left with a shorter surface to use a tool to remove it in my opinion. Finding the correct bolt out and lavish use of penetrating oil seems a sounder path. And forgive me for double checking use counterclockwise.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Their reasoning is that the bolt is simply overtightened. When the head is removed, the stress is relieved and the remainder will be loose.

If the threads are rusted this won't be the case.

AARodriguez Corp.

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2009 JSW and Golf 2004 TDI
I have removed many many of these stripped and rusted bolts, but the only tools I have used were cold chisels and a 3lb sledge hammer. Usually takes less than 2 mins per bolt.

Bob702

TDI
The Blue Point TFSY13a worked like a charm! I did have to give it a whack with my hammer to set it on there, I put an extension on first so I wouldn't smack my finger ;) then I took the extension off and put on an 18 inch long socket wrench, counterheld the balancer, and it came right off! Thanks ninedee_golf_tdi and everyone else for your input!

Bob702

TDI
Ha! Actually, I'm pretty persistent and after I found that the stores phone # isn't listed I kept searching the web and I wound up finding a phone #. it was the snap-on reps home #! so his wife gave me his cell # and he met me on his route the next morning :D $20 later and the bolt was off!

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
'99.5 Golf GLS, '01 Jetta GLX Wagon (TDI conversion)
Get Irwin bolt-out set or left-hand drill bits...
The Irwin 1/2" (13mm) bolt-grip (from the 394001 5-piece set) worked great for me when combined with my impact wrench. Zipped right out without needing to counterhold the center bolt.

Greg

slyk

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 6spd
Just drive a 12mm 12point socket on there, it will come out. If not, just drill thru the head until it snaps off, then you can finger the remnant out.
This worked like a dream for the rounded out bolts on the one I'm working on. Thanks for this great tip! Best of all, it didn't cost me any money or time going to the store!

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
The bolts I removed were very clean due to the round, rubber cover having been in place. Three came out without having to counter hold the crank.

dogdots

Vendor
TDI
None
The bolts I removed were very clean due to the round, rubber cover having been in place. Three came out without having to counter hold the crank.
We don't have the luxury of a rubber cover on the ALH balancer ;)

I usually just put my snap on 6mm allen socket in the bolt, whack whack whack with a hammer then zap them out with my little mg325 impact or my IR hammerhead. If I round one out I grab my 12mm 12 point and drive it on then zap it out.

I keep a few spares in my tool box and trade them out when they split.

gpooleii

TDI
2000 VW Beetle
got it out

Thanks dogdots. The 12mm socket brought it right out. Ha, it was much harder to get the socket off the head after it was out! Great tip:)