Dead Jetta

kealonnix

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Well, I've got a dead car. I've been noticing a hissing and a decrease in mPgs. We checked it out this weekend. Think the hissing was the egr. However, when at idle when we goosed the engine, the exhaust hOse coming off the turbo would actually swell like it was obstructed.

Well today I was cruising in 5th and started losing power. It completely died and left me stranded.

Any ideas? I changed the fuel filter 5000 miles ago. Did I just blow a turbo? Please help

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Do you mean the the "hose" (actually called a downpipe) between the turbo and the rest of the exhaust or the rubber hoses that connect to the ducting that goes to the intercooler?

Boost leaks will be unnoticeable at idle and will hiss when you accelerate and if the leak is bad enough the car will be undrivable if you press the accelerator very much.

kealonnix

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
No to the gas. I had about 100 miles on the tank. It was deinitely diesel. Do you think it could be the fuel pump?

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
Check fuel filter for water. Philips head screw next to filter, loosen. Lift up filter and loosen drain. See if water or fuel comes out.

Loss of power and stall does sound like clogged filter or water or air in fuel.

kealonnix

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
We checked for water, and there wasn't any. My dad (who is a mechanic) is working on it. He put a quick shot of ether in past the intake (we know that it is not a good thing to do, but we just wanted to see if it would hit), and it wouldn't fire up at all. My dad told me to ask the experts at Fred's if the exhaust could be stopped up. He said that he thinks that could have been causing the whining and would explain the loss in power.

Let me know what you think. Thanks.

kealonnix

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Scratch that. When you turn it over, it is pulling a strong suction through the intake. So that lets us believe that the exhaust isn't stopped up.

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
If it won't kick on a shot of ether, makes me wonder if cam timing has slipped and now compression is reduced. Roll engine to where IP pump alignment hole lines up (12oclock with respect to pump body) and then check if tdc mark on flywheel is lined up.

First, check for slack in timing belt, should be tight and spin with engine cranking.

kealonnix

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Ok, my dad pulled the hose from the fuel filter going to the tandem pump off at the tandem pump and turned the engine. It didn't crank. There is good fuel pressure coming from the fuel filter. He then shot another small shot of ether in and it cranked and ran until it burned the ether off. That lets us to believe that the tandem fuel pump may be bad. What do you think?

By the way, he didn't check the timing belt for tightness, but did check that it is turning and turning the cam.

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
So this is not the 2002 with an injection pump? If it has a tandem pump it is a later model with the PD injectors and no injection pump.

I don't know much about the pd's, but if fuel is going to the tandem pump and not coming out when cranking, then it sure seems like a tpump problem. Maybe the drive hardware sheared? Pull pump and see if it is seized.

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
Good catch, Ski. OP what year is this TDI?

If 2005-2006, do you smell coolant in the exhaust? The EGR cooler can leak coolant in to the bores, which will eventually lock up the motor. It will begin by lowering MPGs and power, as well as white smoke (steam) out the pipe if really bad.

kealonnix

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
It is an 06. We aren't smelling coolant in the exhaust, and the exhaust was normal on Sunday. I've ordered the tandem fuel pump and we'll put it on tomorrow. Hopefully that will fix it. I have a feeling that we will have to replace the EGR cooler as well.

kealonnix

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Guys, I need some help. I'm ready to roll this thing in the highway and let a semi hit it and collect the insurance.

We put the tandem fuel pump on. We hooked up a vacuum pump on the return line on the tandem fuel pump to pull all of the air out of the system. We pulled about a gallon through and was still getting some air. I don't know if it is normal to have a little bit of air going back to the fuel filter or not.

I personally think that there has to be a leak in the fuel line somewhere that is allowing air to get in the line. My dad doesn't think this is the case.

Is it possible for the computer to have locked something down? We don't have a Vag-Com to check it, so if thats the case, we will have to take it to someone else.

Could it be the ECM?

Please help guys!!!!

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
OK, the lift pump in the tank should be shoving fuel toward the tandem pump. Fuel should pump through the tandem pump, but only when cranking the starter. The tpump is positive displacement and fuel will only slowly leak through it unless it is spinning. You should get fuel pressure on the outlet of the tandem pump when cranking.

Was the pump drive hardware ok when you took it off?

kealonnix

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
The return line (running from the Tfrom the T-Pump back to the fuel filter) does pump fuel when you are turning the engine over.

The old pump that we took off didn't look that bad. Couldn't "see" anything wrong.

kealonnix

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Ski, thank you so much for all your help. I really appreciate it.

Where is Oilhammer? He is usually very insightful.

mnguy

TDI
2006 jetta
How is the coolant level? Did you try running it off some clean diesel in a can yet? I would check to make sure the crank and cam are still on the timing marks by pinning the cam and making sure the crank lines up with the arrow, very quick and easy.

kealonnix

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Ok. We found that it had slipped time. The reason... There were about 10 teeth stripped off the timing belt. I had 70k miles on this timing belt.

kealonnix

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I am lucky guys. They put the timing belt, water pump, tensioner, and serpentine belt, and it fired up on the first try. They mechanic said that he wanted to shake my hand in hopes that my luck would rub off on him.

He did say I still have another problem. He said that the hissing I have is due to a leaky turbo charger boost control solenoid???? He said he wasn't sure if that is what it is called or not. It is located below the turbo charger (accessible underneath the car). Do you guys know about these things? I haven't searched the forums for this yet.

Thanks for all the help.