Installing TB stripped harmonic balancer bolt

terrydtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 MK4 TDI Jetta 5spd
Changing out TB got to harmonic balancer bolts and they were WAY over torqued (dealership last installed),stripped the allen head ,just barely got the others out .I think I'm going to dremel a slot in the head and use a impact driver tool to get it to move . Does that sound like the way to go or should I go to Sears to get a special tool, any ideas ?

Last edited:

gearjam

TDI
2000 B5 Passat TDI conversion
bolts

Take a drift or large punch and hammer on the heads.Sometimes the shock is enough to get them to turn. After hammering them the allen drive {you are using an allen socket and not an allen wrentch aren't you] won't fit into the hole so you have to pound it in and hopefully it will turn then. I have also used a chisel to turn the allens when stripped or just drill the heads off with a 5/16 drill.Once the heads are gone pull the sprocket off and then you have enough to get a hold of to turn it out.

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
Just drill out the head (very easy). Use a bit that is just slightly larger than the 6mm allen, Drill in the depth of the thickness of the head (about 8mm). The head will come off and you can remove the stud by hand or with a pair of pliers OR tighten the drill down on it and unscrew using that if time is an issue!

DB

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
I use a SAE 1/4" allen socket... hammer it in, and usually can get it out... if not move to a larger allen.

bulldogger1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI 5 spd, 2014 Golf TDI auto
I went to my local Sears store and bought an Irwin bolt extractor. The extractor slips over the round head of the HB bolt and grips tighter and tighter until the bolt simply turns out. It really is a handy little tool.

terrydtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 MK4 TDI Jetta 5spd
Thanks guys for replying , I worked 11 hours yesterday then went to Sears on my way home to look around ,and found (Bolt Out) just like the product Bulldogger is showing . Just got under there and tapped it on the head ,and took it right out GREAT tool . Thank you all for the other ideas ,you never know what it might take.

Dieselgeek

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2016 Golf TDI
An 8mm triple square CV bolt socket will sometimes remove a stripped 6mm headed Allen bolt if you tap it in gently with a hammer and keep it straight while you turn it.

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
corrado tdi said:
An 8mm triple square CV bolt socket will sometimes remove a stripped 6mm headed Allen bolt if you tap it in gently with a hammer and keep it straight while you turn it.
That's exactly what I do.. I have a cheap set from Autozone that I use for those.. The smaller one is good for when the valve cover bolts are rounded..

Good part is when you smack the triple square bit into the rounded allen, now you can use that same triple square bit to put the bolt back in.. It's kind of a conversion of sorts.. ;)