ABS + ASR caution light and no codes ... I’m stuck

Brian O'Dell

TDI
2005 GLS Wagon 5spd
So,

At first I was getting intermittent ABS and ASR lights on my dash. Now they are there every time it starts. ABS and brakes are working fine. Based on the threads I have read I imagine I have an ABS sensor or sensor wire issue. But ....

Using an Innova 3030 code reader I can’t pull any codes. I read the thread on after market radios preventing the code reader from working. For the diagram here that identifies the K line wire that can’t figure out where on the harness it is referring to.

Thoughts?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/CL56AFPT2UwMkkJMA

https://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/aftermarket-radio.html

Last edited:

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Sure plugging in the k line to an aftermarket radio can cause weird issues, but you probably have a code your scanner can't see. Is the car the one in your bio, the 05? If it is, it should be ESP, not ASR. Could be clock spring, gyro sensor, or wheel sensor. All sorts of more goodies there.

Brian O'Dell

TDI
2005 GLS Wagon 5spd
Sure plugging in the k line to an aftermarket radio can cause weird issues, but you probably have a code your scanner can't see. Is the car the one in your bio, the 05? If it is, it should be ESP, not ASR. Could be clock spring, gyro sensor, or wheel sensor. All sorts of more goodies there.
Ok, so there are OVD II code readers that don’t read all available codes? That’s a new one for me. I’m assuming this leads to me contact someone in the V-com network?

Yes same car in my bio 2005 TDI Jetta Wagon.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
No there are different modules in each car the cheap obd scanners can only read the engine module codes. The abs, srs, and transmission modules will only be assessable with a code reader designed to access them. Thats true not only for vw but every other manufacturer as well.

VCDS is the system that will tell you everything about your VW. Ross-tech.com is where you can find it or one of the supporting vendors like idparts.com. You can also find them for sale in the for sale section of this forum.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Find a shop that has an ABS scanner, and see what the codes are. We can help from there. There's ALSO VCDS Lite if you are on a budget.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
If you have a laptop, VCDS Lite is free to d-load and will do most of it's functions.
It will scan all the modules.
Registered all functions work.
It's worth registering it for all the functions if you plan on keeping the car.
Very reasonable.
You also need a OBD cable or wireless adapter.

sloinker

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Sportwagen '15 Golf Hatch
You may try starting your car and turning the wheel lock to lock a couple times and see if the code clears. Did you have the battery disconnected recently? That or a marginal battery/connection can cause these codes to be thrown and light up the dash indicators.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
You need a proper scan tool.

The 2005's factory double DIN radio uses the CAN for communication, no K-line.