Heated Seat question?

Thermo1223

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Jetta 5M-'04 JW A5
Which is the better route:

Buy Grey Velour Heated Seats w/ Airbags...(all OEM)

Buy a kit to install heaters in my existing seats...(maybe better then OEM?!?)

Since I'm buying sheepskin seat covers anyway just get something cheap like these and hide them under the seat covers. I could wire this one in permantly with a switch.

What would you do considering a pair of heated grey velour seats w/ airbags is astronomical in price.

brucep

Veteran Member
TDI
peebs4u2
WATCH OUT USING SEATCOVERS ON A VW!
Do not forget that there are airbags IN THE SEATS and unless your seatcovers are "approved" for use in a VW....DONT DO IT

Imagine, the airbag in the seat fires its explosive charge... and instead of the airbag deploying, the seatcover shoves your left shoulder thru the windsheild.

I do see that you have a 2000, perhaps that year did not have the airbags in the seat.

Thermo1223

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Jetta 5M-'04 JW A5
I have a 2000 golf with the airbags in the seats. You may want to check it out a little bit more.
Well thats what I said my seats say they have airbags on so they must.

Anyway back to the topic, I need opinions. Experiences with aftermarket installs. I would do all the installing but I want to know what was used. Or if you did the OEM route how hard was it? Has anyone ever tried the cig. lighter kind? Fairly reasonable at $40US.

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
I would see about getting the factory seat heaters installed in your seats, and ditch the sheepskin idea. I think putting that much insulation over the top of your seat heaters would greatly reduce their effectiveness. If I remember correctly, those people with leather seats have mentioned that their seats don't heat up as quickly as the cloth seats. Throw a good half inch of sheepskin on there, and I bet it'll take a while to feel any heat.

whatnxt

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Q5 TDI Premium +
The after-market heat inserts will run you about $160.00 US or so. The full set-up includes the wiring harness with fuse and switch. I got them from http://www.nwautoleather.com They took me a day to put in. They are great. The dealer wanted $500 to install the factory ones. If you can get seats for a good price, a little more $$ and less work for inserting the heaters. With both you will need to do the wiring and for the OEMs you will need to purchase the switches which can be even more $$. Enjoy.