Good TDI donor for van ?

DieselDan22

TDI
1999 jetta
I've been toying with the idea of a doing a tdi swap into a dodge caravan as i do alot of driving. Stumbled across a '97 passat with only 130k for relatively cheap. I think this would be an ideal donor but wanted to see what others think. Since its a passat i know its a bit heavier so its probably geared a bit lower and therefore a better match to the van. Also if I'm not mistaken, the '97 uses a clutch cable and i hear the cable in manual equipt 1st and 2nd gen vans fit a vw trans just fine.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
97 passat has a hydraulic clutch... the drivetrain would be a good match for the van, relatively easy to do a standalone harness and will have adequate power in stock configuration

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
Just out of curiosity how would you go about adapting the cv axles?

I would think a van like an astro van or similar rwd or even awd would be an easier swap. Plus adapters are readily available to match the vw engine to a chevy transmission. A caravan tdi would definitely be a unique build.

D-Cup

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition, 2003 Jetta GLS, 2000 Jetta GLS, 2012 JSW
I knew it. I'm not the only one.
A Dodge Grand Caravan with stow-n-go seating with a TDI engine. :D

Sorry I can't provide any help at all, but I'd love to see this happen. Good luck with this build!

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3

I would think a van like an astro van or similar rwd or even awd would be an easier swap. Plus adapters are readily available to match the vw engine to a chevy transmission. A caravan tdi would definitely be a unique build.
Measure and have a machine shop adapt the axle shafts, they're setup to do stuff like this.

Actually I think the transverse setup in the Caravan would be a better match than the RWD of the Astro. The only RWD install of a TDI that I would care to do is in a small / medium truck.

Steve

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
I've had many custom front and rear drive shafts made for 4x4s. Doing diesel swaps, v8 swaps or even just more modern overdrive transmissions. It's cool to hear they do custom cv axles now. The only fwd swaps i did were honda D to B series... Some 15 years ago.

The chevy astro uses the same tranny as engine as that years equal s10 blazer or s10 pick up.

GMC also had their version but i dont recall the name

I have seen a few off road/expo versions built over the years(lifted, winch bumpers,etc). To me they seemed to be more utility built vans than soccer mom built vans. Seems a tdi motor in one of those would make a sweet rig to take on road trips for beach or desert camping.

DieselDan22

TDI
1999 jetta

Actually i had a somewhat dumb idea about the axles. Early 1.7 vw equipt dodge omni are often mentioned when this type of swap is discussed. I'm curious if one of the axles from an omni could actually fit. Its not likely, but be hilarious if it did. Will most likely be done by a machine shop. Would just have to figure out how to determine the correct length.

DieselDan22

TDI
1999 jetta
I knew it. I'm not the only one.
A Dodge Grand Caravan with stow-n-go seating with a TDI engine. :D
Sorry I can't provide any help at all, but I'd love to see this happen. Good luck with this build!
Theres a few of these swaps out there. One person did a 1.6 turbo into a 1st gen, then into a 2nd 9 years later when the 1st gen rotted out. Theres what i think was a ALH into a 3rd gen, and recently saw a 4th gen swap on another forum. For right now i'm just researching and looking for pieces. My Idea is mostly based around the 1st gen i saw on youtube. I want the whole TDI drivetrain to pretty much drop right into a 1st or 2nd gen. I just want mine to be a bit more refined. Cruise and tach are a must. A/C would be nice too.

DieselDan22

TDI
1999 jetta
97 passat has a hydraulic clutch... the drivetrain would be a good match for the van, relatively easy to do a standalone harness and will have adequate power in stock configuration
Hope a cable can be adapted. I see an adapter is used for the eurovan, vag o2b 141 708a. If not will have figure out how to adapt hydraulic system. Good to know the passat drivetrain is a good selection. Was thinking the final ratio was a tad high for a diesel, but being a heavier/less aerodynamic vehicle i just wasnt sure. Compared the ratios from a chrysler A523(5 speed used in the caravans) with the ratios for a 02A for a passat. Ratios are similar.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
Dont many of those caravans use a v6? Id imagine you'd have plenty of room for an ac compressor.

I have used a local hose and hydraulic shop to take stock ac hoses and adapt them to the donor engine ac compressor.

For the hydro clutch pedal/reservoir check jegs and summit. They have many different willwood and other brands that fit in many different race car/hot rod applications.

Just make sure you calculate your displacement of the clutch slave vs clutch master displacement (bore size) so you dont end up with an overly heavy clutch pedal or end up without enough throw to fully disengage the clutch.

Is your clutch slave internally or externally mounted? They also have a good selection of slave cylinders if needed. Ive used the pull style in applications where space did not allow proper fitment for a standard push style and it worked great.

After browsing the local cl ads there seem to be tons of carvans with bad transmissions and more than a few beater jetta/beetle tdis out there for a song. Seems like a great idea for a fuel efficient family hauler

The little 2.0 tdi i have is growing on me. If i can come across a few more i might have a fleet of these things!

drucifer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta sw tdi pd
Here's a YouTube video of a guy that put a tdi in a Caravan. The van he used was older but he brings up similarities in other Chrysler products
The short answer about the cv axle is the Caravan axle is hollow. He slid the Vw axle inside and welded it with a sleeve.

https://youtu.be/8nTtR56xsIE

There are many other videos about this van but this is a good overview of what he did.

DieselDan22

TDI
1999 jetta
Here's a YouTube video of a guy that put a tdi in a Caravan. The van he used was older but he brings up similarities in other Chrysler products
The short answer about the cv axle is the Caravan axle is hollow. He slid the Vw axle inside and welded it with a sleeve.

https://youtu.be/8nTtR56xsIE

There are many other videos about this van but this is a good overview of what he did.
Yep. I review those vids every once in a while for ideas. Actaully kinda surprised it's held up so well. Shifter setup was a bit strange and when the cable broke,they were nla at Chrysler. Also read that the early 020 trans wasn't very strong. Motor I believe was just an/a block with a turbo kit. Motor mount setup is cool, but not sure if I'd go that route. Probably cheaper to use Chrysler mounts, but dont think it would absorb the vibration as well. Electrical will be the biggest challenge. Not sure what can be eliminated from a TDI harness without aggravating the ecm, but van computer probably has to be left in place to run gauges. Also wonder how the speedometer would be hooked up. With the older mechanical setup, it was simple, just a cable. Both the TDI and van computer will probably need a signal. Be interesting to figure out how I hookup both speed sensors