Sanity Check - 2005 TDI Wagon Glowplugs

05TurboWagon

TDI
05 Jetta Wagon 1.9TDI
I just popped a code for glow plug #1. The plug tested bad; for good measure I swapped GP #1 and GP#2 as a secondary confirmation.

The plugs currently in the Jetta are Bosch 0250302002 7.0v (manufactured in 2004). I ordered a set of NGK N10591609 7.0v plugs of off IDParts last night. Did I screw the pooch or are the NGKs an acceptable replacement?

I bought this Jetta second hand. The PO did not believe the GPs had ever been changed.

It looks like this Jetta did not fall under the GP fiasco causing them to need replacement.

Am I good to go or did I flub up?

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
As long as they are all the same I think you’re good.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
If you had 7 volt plugs and you're replacing them with 7 volt plugs you're good to go. Replacing them with 5 volt plugs would be bad. :)

05TurboWagon

TDI
05 Jetta Wagon 1.9TDI
@Tdijarhead @Vince Waldon

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the sanity check. I was going to mic out the new plugs against the old plugs just to be sure (when they arrive), but wanted to get ahead of the game and stop shipment if need be.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
For some reason - it seems common that glow plug # 1 code is really for cylinder 4.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
Be super careful about handling those Bosch 7V glow plugs as they have a nasty habit of the tip breaking off at time inside the engine. I would pull them all out, make sure the tips come with them and replace them all with NGK 7V units. There is a PN specifically for the BEW engine.

05TurboWagon

TDI
05 Jetta Wagon 1.9TDI
Be super careful about handling those Bosch 7V glow plugs as they have a nasty habit of the tip breaking off at time inside the engine. I would pull them all out, make sure the tips come with them and replace them all with NGK 7V units. There is a PN specifically for the BEW engine.
Oh yeah, I hear you on that. I ran through the same nutroll with my 86 F250 6.9 IDI. The PO put in crap autolite plugs. They swelled and where a bear to get out. Fortunately none of them broke off. But... I was prepped for that... pull injectors and use a flexible grabber with a micro cam/light down GP hole.

I checked all the GP's. They all come out well, although #3 and 4 were a pita. The PO did not throw any anti-seize on the threads.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
Very likely those glow plugs were original, Bosch stopped making those 7V glow plugs circa 2005 due to the tips breaking off.

05TurboWagon

TDI
05 Jetta Wagon 1.9TDI
Very likely those glow plugs were original, Bosch stopped making those 7V glow plugs circa 2005 due to the tips breaking off.
They would have to be original. The manufacturing date for all four is 2004.

I'm glad to be getting rid of them. I don't need tips breaking off in the cylinders, especially while operating.

mittzlepick

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta wagon (365k)2001 wagon tire burner 6spd 2003 wagon(417k)
had that happen #1 scored and head was hammered but still runs after headgasket and plugs and turbo. found out after gp code was paired with boost code

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Smart to replace all 4. Soak the threads with PB Blaster (or better) a couple times in advance of the work.