Best instruction for BEW timing belt replacement?

Sbieshelt

TDI
Jetta passat
So I have decided to replace my timing belt myself. Looking for a kit and great instructions. I'm not super machanical but recently rebuilt a 4l60E transmission with a good video. I have also removed and replaced a few engines in my cj7. YouTube is my greatest tool in the tool box. My plan is to get a kit from metal man here on tdiclub. He did my last 2 timing belt changes but I don't time to run up to see him. He's a long trip from southern Md.

Sent from my SM-A600A using Tapatalk

Sbieshelt

TDI
Jetta passat
Thanks, I'll talk to metalman and get some parts and tools ordered

Sent from my SM-A600A using Tapatalk

Cleenlivin

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sedan (DSG) boughtback, 2004 Jetta TDI Sedan (Tiptronic), 2004 Jetta TDI Sedan (5 speed)
Good Instructions...

I’ve used those instructions to do several timing belts with success. The hardest part is removing the passenger side engine mount bracket as you have to lower the engine and twist the mount just right to get it out. The other thing to remember is to place the bracket in, then loop the timing belt around everything before re-tightening the mount.

Be sure to by your new stretch bolts and if re-using the engine bracket, I would put in either a time cert or helicoil to strengthen it since you have it out. Remember to line up the engine mount bracket and passenger side motor mount correctly.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I never take the bracket out, I just leave it loose in there, drop it low enough to swap the tensioner, then wiggle the new belt in behind it, then put it back up sort of in place with one bolt in a few threads. Same way on the ALH, although the BEW is harder because the belt and subsequent pulleys and sprockets are all thicker, so there is even less room.

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI SE 6MT 15 GOLF TDI SEL DSG
why do I get this when I rty to view the procedure?
You don't have permission to access /data/3419/BEW_timing_belt_procedure.pdf on this server

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
I opened that one in a new tab no problem.
Try right clicking on it and choose 'save target as' and save it to your PC.

The 2nd link did not work for me.
Gave:Oops! We ran into some problems.
The requested page could not be found.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Note- Most all the how-tos at My Turbo Diesel are not working. They have a software glitch, they know about it and it's taking them forever to fix it.