03 ALH Jetta with no fuel in clear line from filter to IP

777funk

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta ALH - 5 speed
What can I check? There's no fuel in the clear line running from the filter to the IP. Any help is appreciated!

EDIT: I can not pull a vacuum from the fuel return port (with my thumb on the fuel return line to cap it off). I can blow into the fuel supply port and hear it coming out near the area with the 4 fuel delivery valves.

Does this mean I need a reseal?

EDIT: The initial 'listening' guess at air coming out at the fuel head was truly air coming out at that location. I poured soapy water over the IP, plugged the return line with my thumb and had a helper (my son) put 5psi of air into the fuel input barb. There were MAJOR bubbles at the head seal area and small bubbles at the fuel adjuster seal. Now we know what the problem is.

Last edited:

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Did you just change your fuel filter or did this just happen? One of the most useful tools in my tool collection is a mity vac. They work great to prime fuel lines, test vacuum actuators and bleed brake lines among other things.

If you just changed your fuel filter fill the filter with fuel. If this just happened you probably have air getting into the fuel line, likely at the plastic T on top of the filter. Either the O rings are shot or the T is cracked.

Are you sure you have fuel in the tank? Absolutely sure?

777funk

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta ALH - 5 speed
The engine just wouldn't start one day with no changes made.

I just pulled a vac on the supply line and got fuel immediately. So we have an IP suction problem. I put a hose onto the suction line at the pump and blew into it and can hear air leaking out somewhere on the hard lines side. I'm guessing that means I need to reseal my IP?

WookieNoiz

TDI
2002 Golf 1.9L TDI , 2004 R32 Supercharged , 2004 GLI w/ R32 Swap , 2008 A3 3.2 Quattro
The engine just wouldn't start one day with no changes made.

I just pulled a vac on the supply line and got fuel immediately. So we have an IP suction problem. I put a hose onto the suction line at the pump and blew into it and can hear air leaking out somewhere on the hard lines side. I'm guessing that means I need to reseal my IP?
Ouch ... im guessing since u didn't mention it u haven't seen or noticed any leaks from the IP... mine was leaking and I could smell diesel in the cabin while driving .... if u do decide to tear into the IP to do the seals KNOW what ur doing and have a vagcom ready for adjusting the value back

cygnus

TDI
2000jetta, 2001 jetta doa ,2002jetta 2006 jetta wagon
2nd check the fuel return.
I had same symptoms and had small leak in one of my lines between injectors

777funk

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta ALH - 5 speed
The fuel return does not hold vacuum. I put the vacuum tester on the return port at the pump and plugged the end of the fuel tank return line with my thumb. It doesn't even build vacuum, just drops almost as if pumped without being connected to anything.

Last edited:

777funk

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta ALH - 5 speed
bump. Have updated the first post with the following test results:

I can not pull a vacuum from the fuel return port (with my thumb on the fuel return line to cap it off). I can blow into the fuel supply port and hear it coming out near the area with the 4 fuel delivery valves.

Do I need a reseal?

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
bump. Have updated the first post with the following test results:

I can not pull a vacuum from the fuel return port (with my thumb on the fuel return line to cap it off). I can blow into the fuel supply port and hear it coming out near the area with the 4 fuel delivery valves.

Do I need a reseal?

yes! If it cannot hold a vacuum, the seals in the IP are bad.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
That's a bad leak if you can blow into the pump inlet and hear leakage near the delivery valves.

I can think of six places that can leak around there. The head seal, the big three sided plug and the cutoff solenoid, (these are low pressure while running, maybe 80ish psi) then there are the the four delivery valves, the four injector lines and the small center plug. These last three see injection pressure.

If you can hear the leaking you should be able to see it if you spray some soap solution around there.

No evidence of fuel leaking?

777funk

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta ALH - 5 speed
KLXD, there is no fuel leaking, but likely only because there is no fuel to leak. It won't prime and vacuum just leaks right out unfortunately.

Last edited:

777funk

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta ALH - 5 speed
The initial 'listening' guess at air coming out at the fuel head was truly air coming out at that location. I poured soapy water over the IP, plugged the return line with my thumb and had a helper (my son) put 5psi of air into the fuel input barb. There were MAJOR bubbles at the head seal area and small bubbles at the fuel adjuster seal. Now we know what the problem is.