What did you do to your MKIV today?

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
I didn't know you were here yet! Bum not telling us he was here now.... Hahaha
I was, and I forgot to contact you yesterday. I'm going to try and see if I can come back to the PNW, sans trailer, in November.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
I was, and I forgot to contact you yesterday. I'm going to try and see if I can come back to the PNW, sans trailer, in November.
All good, hopefully we have a Tdiclub gtg sometime, I definitely would try to go

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Oh, and the obligatory trailer photo. Hoping to meet at least 2 others from this group as I make it further South... This is at a Walmart in Salem, OR.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I wonder if we could have one at Aaron's place, given how large his parking lot is?
He's hosted his own mini get together's before. He hosted one in I think August, I couldn't make that one though due to prior engagements

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
Wiring for two relay 109's to separate the load between them. Next parking brake cables so I can put the center console in and use said parking brake.

Cursing VW beetle cheaper wiring the entire way.
There is a difference between make/break ratings and continuous ones. Perhaps arrange some way for one to always lead, and then swap them every now and then.
cheers,
Douglas

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
What did I do today - got some 011+015 logs of the latest Podtronics Econo-tune, though some of that was limited by narrow winding roads and slow speed limits, while doing some wine tasting at friends' wineries in beautiful Amador County, California.

Randomhomelesstdibeetlegu

Veteran Member
TDI
00 ALH Tdi
There is a difference between make/break ratings and continuous ones. Perhaps arrange some way for one to always lead, and then swap them every now and then.
cheers,
Douglas
Factory should have split the load AND used thicker wire. Early ALH beetles apparently have the thinnest wire for the ECU circuits and it was undersized new. What was once almost skin melting hot is now barely warm in 90f weather. Just as it should be.

No more major voltage drop when starting. No more intermittent ECU power cuts and all.

I eventually have to do this properly using factory parts. Or not. I believe this would last almost forever this way. One of the relays is a white 1999 109 relay soldered proper with cleaned up contacts and internals. The one holding the quantity adjuster and main ECU load (fuse 32) is a new grey one. It was cracked open and soldered as well for reliability sake.

It didn't leave me stranded today and started immediately no intermittent power cut and crank signal loss.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
Not today but yesterday, drove to PA and bought a five speed swap. Filled fuel tank for 90 bucks. Drove home. Car gave record mgs with an 02j in the back.
I'll be good! I promise! sez the 01m who knows paperweight service is right around the corner... :)

Douglas

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
What did I do with the old Mk4 today? Well, I almost got run over by a grader on my morning commute... for some reason the operator saw the pickup truck ahead of me, and waited for him to pass, but didn’t see me or the car behind me, and began backing out onto the highway directly in front of me...
Thanks pal, I’m awake now! Lol
At least now I know my brakes and horn work haha.

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
What did I do with the old Mk4 today? Well, I almost got run over by a grader on my morning commute... for some reason the operator saw the pickup truck ahead of me, and waited for him to pass, but didn’t see me or the car behind me, and began backing out onto the highway directly in front of me...
Thanks pal, I’m awake now! Lol
At least now I know my brakes and horn work haha.
Does your finger work too?

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
My exhaust is complete. Opening up with a nice resonator gives it a deep tone that is nice when you get on it. But unfortunately, there's a bit of cab drone. I could probably get used to it. Ordered a quieter resonator. The way he designed my exhaust, since it's just a V band clamp at the rear that attaches the resonator to the exhaust, makes it really easy to swap out. So I'm going to have him weld me up another resonator that's just plug in play. That way I can easily swap if/when I want to.

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
My exhaust is complete. Opening up with a nice resonator gives it a deep tone that is nice when you get on it. But unfortunately, there's a bit of cab drone. I could probably get used to it. Ordered a quieter resonator. The way he designed my exhaust, since it's just a V band clamp at the rear that attaches the resonator to the exhaust, makes it really easy to swap out. So I'm going to have him weld me up another resonator that's just plug in play. That way I can easily swap if/when I want to.
Buddy that has got to be the coolest exhaust I’ve seen on one of these cars, I love that v-band stuff!

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Technically not mine, but as I'm visiting the new grandson in Georgia, SIL and I went to the local pick n pull. Found three MkIV jettas, and I pulled the trunk lid off an 04 with the little lip spoiler.

I also wanted to grab a rear passenger side door, but SIL didn't have any XZN bits, and a T40 didn't work. Next trip.

Trunk lid was under $60 and it's in great shape, zero rust (which is why I wanted to go to a yard while down south) and zero dings.

I'll have to paint it to match of course.

Any thoughts about the lock cylinder in the VW emblem? I want to swap over from my old lid in case the electric release fails.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The lock unbolts from inside the lid, and can be moved over easy enough.

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Ill check it out when I get back to the rusty north.

Wish I'd thought of checking out the center console. Would like the cup holders. And armrest too. I wanted to grab the RCRC tails, but one had a hole in it.

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Well I crawled underneath to take another look as to why my boost hose keeps blowing off the turbo or the metal pipe. The pipe was a custom fab job that is a bit too short and not quite angled right. So I bought a 10” hose that I’ll cut down to replace the 3” that’s there. There’s a weld about 5” down the pipe (not a very good custom job) that I’ll use to hopefully slip my new hose past and then use my ring clamp to secure. I also picked up permatex ultra red.
With any luck I will have outward pressure on with the longer piece that, no matter the engine rocking, boost pressure and etc., it will stay in place.
Oh, and changed the oil on the WJ.

norbert77

Veteran Member
TDI
01 beetle
Early spring I took off every single panel of the car and removed all the soft touch paint. I even took the armrest cover off cleaned up the materials and re-glued the material, but I did not use 3M brand spray77 I use something else I had at home, and now it's time to regret it. It doesn't stick anymore and it is gross to the touch. I don't know if anybody has any beige armrest inserts door a beetle they would like to part with

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Started taking apart the new trunk lid for painting prep.

Broke some pot metal pivot as I pried the ball off the socket on the arm that goes to the lock cylinder.

Now Ill have to transfer over that whole metal carrier piece that the trunk lid actuator is bolted on.