New 2000 Golf TDI owner; Needs new front wheel bearings/hubs.

89stingray454

TDI
2000 Golf TDI
Greetings everyone. I am a relatively new owner of a 2000 Golf TDI (181,000 miles). I have put over 3000 miles on it since I picked it up, and I am getting 50+mpg. I bought it about a month ago, and I have already replaced both of the tie-rods (inner/outer) thanks to the help of this forum.
Unfortunately, now I need to replace the front-right wheel bearing. From what I have read, I should replace the bearing and the hub at the same time. Thanks to the "how to" article on how to change the brakes, I am able to get at least to where I have the brake caliper removed and the rotor off. I jacked the car up the other day to get started on this, only to find that I need a special socket to remove the hub from the axle. Once I was stopped there, I put it back together until I get some more guidance from this forum. Can anyone tell me what size socket I need to remove the hub, and if I will need any other special tools to complete this job. I know that I will need to press the new bearing into the new hub, that will not be an issue.

I thank you in advance for any/all help and tips.

89stingray454

TDI
2000 Golf TDI
Ok...Scurvy and MOGolf keep talking about a "kit" in that how-to post. Can anyone tell me where to get that "kit" that I need to pull the bearing out of the knuckle?

Andrew 179

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2001.5 5sp convert
an idea

If I remember correctly, AA Rodriguez and ID Parts sell loaded knuckles with new hubs and bearings if you want to avoid some of the bearing removal & installation work.