Engine starts but won't run. 2000 AJM golf 115hp PD

Chisel_chops

TDI
2000 Mk4 Golf Estate PD115hp AJM
Hi all,
I have the 17978, ECU blocked code.
The car had been on a 70 mile run, stopped the engine for 10 mins and then it started but died after a second or so.
The car symbol with the key under it is not on
The glow plug coil comes on, then goes out as it should, but then starts flashing.
The red info screen is not working now. A few months back this screen just lit up solid red on start up, I recycled the ignition and the screen cleared and worked again. It never happened again, but I always thought it was not as crisp as before.
I have tried the cold boot.
I have tried the spare keys, all original.
The instrument cluster has not been changed. I've checked the cluster circuit board for dry joints.
The other codes stored were;
00771 fuel level sensor. Probably me when looking for the fuel pump in the tank and in plugged it. No pump in the tank.
01039 coolant temp sensor
00953 time delay cupe light, unknown switch posn.
Codes read by the RAC.
Looked for the fuel shut off solenoid do i have one?
Any help in what to look at next would great.
Many thanks.

ffemtp

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS TDI Deceased 11/2012, 2004 Jetta GL TDI Sold, 2012 Jetta TDI (Retruned to VW), 2004 Jetta TDI GLS 5spd
Sounds like a lot of possible electrical issues going on. First thought would be to locate / clean / tighten as many ground/earth points you can find on the car. There are a number of them. There is one under the battery tray that is overlooked sometimes.

Confident others will weigh in with other things to do here.

Keep us posted.

Chisel_chops

TDI
Will do. I have read through loads of posts about this but have not found the cure yet. I'll carry on searching. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check the earths tomorrow.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Maybe a bad connection on the clocks, if it can't get the signal then the ecu won't allow the engine to run.

I wouid try pulling the clocks and reseating the plugs.

It's a bit suspicious the screen died at the same time.

If you have a pump in the tank you'll have 4 wires to the plug, otherwise the actual unit just looks the same but a bad pimp wouldn't cause your issues.

There's also a bunch of earths under the battery tray and if I remember right maybe one in the rain tray where the ecu sits, not a 100% sure in that one though.

No fuel shut off either, the AJM is a pd engine.

Chisel_chops

TDI
Thanks for posting some help. I have no pump in the tank, only two wires for the fuel level. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=273632 this post is the same as my symptom apart from my immo light is not on. The post talks about checking the 'W wire' where and what is the 'W wire' please? I 've tried repeating the clock wires but no luck. With all the reading of posts, I was suspecting the cluster, but was not sure. I think I need to get some diagnostic kit. Any suggestions please on what to buy?
Once again many thanks.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Honestly not sure what the W wire is. I'm inclined to believe it's the wire in the column to the immo antenna, possibly between there and cluster.
When he said he replaced the clock I believe he meant the either the clock spring, or the immo antenna around the key cylinder...
I would test continuity on all the wires in the column and up to the cluster with an Ohm meter and having a vag-com would be preferred.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Chisel_chops

TDI
The cluster is un-repairable, but all the gauges work. If I had the immo deleted from the ECU do you think the car may start as it will ignore the lack of start signal from the cluster?
Many thanks.

Chisel_chops

TDI
The immobiliser in the instrument cluster has failed and cannot be repaired. I have had the immobiliser deleted from the ECU and the old girl is back on the road! Many thanks for everyone's input. I hope you all have a very merry Christmas and a breakdown free New year.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Glad you got it going and posted the resolution.
It may help others down the road.