TDI to '87 Yota 4runner

89vr6

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 base
Well since my life is consumed by the aviation world lol, I was thinking of doing quick disconnect cannon plugs for the wiring harness

89vr6

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 base
Started talking to my buddy's at our hydro shop at work and may run some stainless hydro lines for the power steering or steel braided and what not. Just kinda wanna aircraft it up a bit lol

Rockwell

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (R.I.P.), 1.6TD Toyota pickup, 2011 BMW 335d, 1996 Passat TDI
Well since my life is consumed by the aviation world lol, I was thinking of doing quick disconnect cannon plugs for the wiring harness
I'm using one on my harness to go from the cab to the engine compartment. Makes for a nice clean install
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

89vr6

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 base
Harness is done and ready to be strapped in waiting on the ACME adapter plate to come in should be here on Saturday. And gotta make up some engine mounts and this 1.9L knocker will be settled into its new home!

89vr6

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 base
Also I've decided I won't be using AC in my 4Runner 85 just doesn't seem necessary for anything that I do, so I've been throwing around ideas in my head. 1. Delete it completely, 2. replace it with something useful.. Well I've decided to replace it with a saden engine driven a/c compressor which I will be converting to a engine driven air compressor it will run to a small air tank in the back of the 4Runner to run air tools and stuff for side work and or trail fun.

89vr6

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 base
Even better popped the original a/c pump off to see the data plate and its a SANDEN! The exact pump that I need to convert to a air pump so back on it goes! Lol

89vr6

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 base
More updates!!! ACME kit finally came in after FEDEX delayed the shipment 5 extra days...

Got the good ole 22re out of the Toyota **** that thing combined with the XMSN and Xfcase is heavy as hell! And long as **** too!

And sprayed the engine bay down with purple power, gonna degrease then media blast the engine bay and brake booster, clean up all the dirt and rust then spray the engine bay to fix this pig up and make her look like it was a factory swap.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
what clutch did you go with ?... and what is your gearing/tire size?... i ask because i just started slipping my 4th clutch and have a new ACT "heavy duty" pressure plate waiting to be installed (420ft lb rating) ...seems my tall gearing, larger than stock tires and heavy wheels coupled with a very torquey engine make difficult for "most" clutches to hold up ...

Rockwell

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (R.I.P.), 1.6TD Toyota pickup, 2011 BMW 335d, 1996 Passat TDI
what clutch did you go with ?... and what is your gearing/tire size?... i ask because i just started slipping my 4th clutch and have a new ACT "heavy duty" pressure plate waiting to be installed (420ft lb rating) ...seems my tall gearing, larger than stock tires and heavy wheels coupled with a very torquey engine make difficult for "most" clutches to hold up ...
Damn, I just received the 10" clutch that you are using now. I should be fine with my small tires though

89vr6

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 base

Got a little cleaning done on the engine bay, and trans used walmarts "great value grill and oven cleaner" literally sprayed it on waited 10min and hit it with a cheap spray bottle with the stream setting. Gonna hit it with a media blaster once I get all the stuff out of the engine bay I won't be needing.

89vr6

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 base
go more than the 1600lb i used the tg 1600 pounder and i could slip it easily after my tune ...my last clutch (10") has held up great until recently
Lol who else makes a clutch stronger then the 1600?

Also question how did you wire in your brake/clutch switches? Did you use the stock yota switches and just wire into them or did you run the vw switches?

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Lol who else makes a clutch stronger then the 1600?
Also question how did you wire in your brake/clutch switches? Did you use the stock yota switches and just wire into them or did you run the vw switches?
there are 1800lb options and others that are stronger, remember those numbers refer to clamp load and not lb ft of capacity ;) ... for the switches use a toyota cruise capable brake switch on both the brake and clutch because that switch has both nc/no circuits ...

89vr6

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 base
Awesome that's what I have since mine is an 87 with cruise control the guy who did the harness said to connect the brake wire to the Toyota brake light circuit and the clutch to a grounded switch when the clutch is disengaged and open circuit when the clutch is engaged

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Awesome that's what I have since mine is an 87 with cruise control the guy who did the harness said to connect the brake wire to the Toyota brake light circuit and the clutch to a grounded switch when the clutch is disengaged and open circuit when the clutch is engaged
who did your harness?

89vr6

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 base
Fast forward automotive in CA I just honestly didn't have time, the more I look at the harness the more I think to myself...that's fricken simple!

89vr6

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 base
And honestly why I say I don't have time is work, and working on my house that flooded, and this my goal is to have this done so I can drive it back to Ohio for Christmas leave from the army

89vr6

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 base
Mounted the accelerator pedal today, cleaned some more kinda at a stoping mount as of now =| need to order a clutch, intercooler kit, and make up some mounts for the engine; I went to get steel today but just my luck everyone was closed

89vr6

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 base

Started in on the engine mounts. Started in with flux-core which was a terrible idea bought a bottle or argon and some wire and total turn around so I'm going to grind out the few welds I did with flux-core and go at it again

89vr6

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 base
How did everyone do their driver side mount ive got like 2 usable holes between the AC compressor and the oil filter housing

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
How did everyone do their driver side mount ive got like 2 usable holes between the AC compressor and the oil filter housing
should be three holes there you can access ... it's a tight squeeze but most people manage .... i went with a front mount and while i was leary at first i haven't had any problems ...

89vr6

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 base
Ok I got 4 holes I used one from the Accesory drive bracket, the 2 bottom big ones, and one for the oil filter housing mount.. The oil filter housing mount one I'm iffy about kinda worried about breaking something there...

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Ok I got 4 holes I used one from the Accesory drive bracket, the 2 bottom big ones, and one for the oil filter housing mount.. The oil filter housing mount one I'm iffy about kinda worried about breaking something there...
there are two bottom 10mm holes and one 10mm bolt hole a little higher up...it may have a plastic clip in it that holds the CPS harness ....it's actually right beside the oil filter housing ....right in the middle of some reinforce webbing...

Last edited: