A couple issues with a new-to-me B5

matt_g

TDI
09 DSG, 01 ALH
Well I picked up a 05 tdi with 123k on it yesterday. Upon initial startup the engine ran as smooth as my 09 tdi did. Took it for a long test drive and when floored from a stop, it sounds like a wastegate is hung open for 2-3 seconds then it seals shut and sounds like a typical tdi. Any ideas where I should start looking?

The other issue sounds like the dreaded BSM rattle. Sounds great during a cold start but once at operating temperature, it is LOUD! Doesn't have the typical constant chain slop noise, it's more of a lope/surging chain slop.

Pretty sure I am going with a delete versus a gear driven set up. Timing belt/water pump was changed at 80k but I'm going to do it again while it's opened up.

peiphil

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat GLS TDI and big old Dodge Cummins TDI
Well its your money and your car but the gear setup is much better and the delete is cheaper but vibrates.
I put the gear setup in mine 4 years ago and made dam sure the idler gear was set to 0 clearance.
If the idler gear is not set correct meaning gear slop the bsm will vibrate back and forth wearing out they hex drive on the oil pump
My brothers son has one with a delete and his car and mine are night and day different

d0u8l3m

Veteran Member
TDI
B5.5 Passat
Well its your money and your car but the gear setup is much better and the delete is cheaper but vibrates.
I put the gear setup in mine 4 years ago and made dam sure the idler gear was set to 0 clearance.
If the idler gear is not set correct meaning gear slop the bsm will vibrate back and forth wearing out they hex drive on the oil pump
My brothers son has one with a delete and his car and mine are night and day different
No, a gear swap is a waste of money. Even with zero backlash you are still driving the oil pump on a 6mm hex key that will round out over time no matter what.

The vibes are not that bad with a delete and with an automatic, however since the automatics are another point of failure on these cars you should be looking into doing a manual swap anyways, which,with a dual mass or really heavy single mass flywheel, the vibes will go away again. Doing the timing belt at the same time again is also a good idea, as you mentioned.

No clue about the first issue though. Imo do a delete and make sure you get the BRM sprocket and chain as it will give you a bit more oil pressure, which is better for PD's.

deming

Veteran Member
TDI
(2) 2005 TDI Passat Wagons
What is the best quality and most heavy duty clutch setup as well the heaviest flywheel if doing a manual trans swap ?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The deleted ones vibrate way too much in gear with the automatics. It is an obvious difference, there is no doubt about it. Makes the car feel like an old tractor.

But it is obviously cheaper to delete it. It is also cheaper to drive a Camry. tight walleted people and Volkswagens do not make good company. :p

gotsoot

Veteran Member
TDI
`04 passat tdi
my old tractor doesn`t vibrate to excessive.makes a difference on acceleration.good motor mounts and your good to go.don`t waste your money on BSM!fact plus opinion

peiphil

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat GLS TDI and big old Dodge Cummins TDI
Oil Hammer is correct The gear drive BSM unit is vibration free and smooth!
Some folks installed them wrong without doing the 0 clearance idler gear tolerance and later had oil pump drive shaft problems because the balance weights were shaking the oil pump drive back and forth because of the slop in the gear mesh.
Done mine 4 years ago and many miles and never looked back perfect !

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I think there are some people who have just never experienced a properly set up and running BHW. I bought mine brand spanking new, so I KNOW how they are supposed to be.

Comparing a chain driven 100k mile car that some assclown slapped Chaxles on and the engine mounts have lost most of their fluid? Yeah, that car won't be too smooth, so comparing THAT to a deleted car may not seem that different. But if you sat in one that was done properly, with OEM axles still installed, etc. they are much smoother. And I have probably been in more B5 TDIs than any single human in North America. I get them from all over the place. Literally.

Here is one I have in the shop today from South Carolina:

And here is one I finished yesterday from New York:

Both have been gear driven for well over 100k miles... they've actually been gear driven longer than they were chain driven. :cool:

Snosport

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat
Had the chain driven pump put on my 04 Passat 5 years ago at 109,000 miles along with new motor mounts and a new camshaft. Car has 355,000 miles on it now and still runs good.

whizznbyu

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen 6 speed manual. B5 died at 302k miles.
I think there are some people who have just never experienced a properly set up and running BHW. I bought mine brand spanking new, so I KNOW how they are supposed to be.
Comparing a chain driven 100k mile car that some assclown slapped Chaxles on and the engine mounts have lost most of their fluid? Yeah, that car won't be too smooth, so comparing THAT to a deleted car may not seem that different. But if you sat in one that was done properly, with OEM axles still installed, etc. they are much smoother. And I have probably been in more B5 TDIs than any single human in North America. I get them from all over the place. Literally.
Here is one I have in the shop today from South Carolina:

And here is one I finished yesterday from New York:

Both have been gear driven for well over 100k miles... they've actually been gear driven longer than they were chain driven. :cool:
That's a long ways from home either way. North or South.