Bsm delete and 5 speed swap advice

philshizle

TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon TDI
I have a DUK trans on the way and ordering an alh/brm bsm delete as well as a timing belt kit from Roselandtech for a relative's passat wagon. I'm looking for some advice regarding the best way to approach this project. I have shop space but no lift, engine hoist or support bar. I'm leaning towards purchasing an engine support bar that can be used with future jobs. Then taking the entire front clip off and removing the transmission and subframe. Then do the bsm delete and timing belt first before moving on to the wiring, clutch lines, and installing the new transmission.

I have a couple questions regarding this process:

Would renting an engine hoist and pulling the transmission and engine togethor be easier? Is it simply personal preference?

If I were to use the engine support bar is it worth removing the front clip? Or should I simply move it to the service position. It's my understanding that the only advantage to this is to avoid disconnecting the A/C. The atf will need to be disconnected as well but because I'm swapping the tranny that needs to be done either way, correct? That's a bit of a gray area for me in my research.

Also I have been referencing the geared module upgrade .pdf for the bsm delete process and am just looking to confirm that it is okay to completely remove the subframe when doing the delete? I wasn't able to determine any reason it couldn't be.

Thanks for the incredibly informative forum everyone.

Last edited:

Nash_TDI

Veteran Member -TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
Might as well do a cam too.

I have not done it all at once before so i typically leave it int he car and do service position or drop subframe to do a trans swap. I am doing it all like you this summer on another car and pulling engine and trans I think together out the front. I have all the hoist support bars, etc.

zzdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
05 passat tdi Geared BSM and Bewcam 2nd 2005 deleted ,converted and bew cam stage 2 Malone3 tune.
I have just finished pulling the tranny on my passat to replace the torque converter. Previously I pulled the engine and transmission together to do the Tranny swap on my other passt as well as a BSM delete. I found I much preferred to pull the two together and do the work on the bench. You don't have to evacuate the AC, just remove the compressor and condenser and hang it aside. Main thing with this process is dealing with the wiring. With the front off it is relatively easy to pull the engine and transmission together.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
I did them both at the same time, and left the engine in the car. No access to a hoist. As above, just set the ac components aside. No need to evacuate the refrigerant.

Last edited:

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
With no lift, I suggest pulling them both at the same time since you need to the delete too. That way you can easily get to all the oil pan holes as well as drill and tap the oil return hole for the delete. Just unplug the harness in the ECU housing area and lay it on the engine. Pretty straight forward process.

philshizle

TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon TDI
Thanks for the tip about the ac. So would it be worth it to rent and engine hoist then? I don't see myself needing one in the future too often.

zzdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
05 passat tdi Geared BSM and Bewcam 2nd 2005 deleted ,converted and bew cam stage 2 Malone3 tune.
Your call on the hoist. I don't know the cost but it would sure limit your under the car time.

stamp11127

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS 2003 Jetta 5sp 2005 Passat Wagon 5sp project
Don't know about you young guys but laying on a good creeper does have a few advantages for us ol timers.
There is a current thread on here where a member did pull both together and lost throttle response when cold after reassembly. Since his issue hasn't been resolved to this date I would consider pulling the trans by itself.

http://www.forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=470498

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d

Nash_TDI

Veteran Member -TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
I dropped the motor too much one time and pulled out the vac line to the brake booster, but only thing I've ever ran into.

mgoff5000

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2004 Passat (RIP)
As someone who did the BSM delete with the engine supported from above, I envy everyone showing pics working on the same job with the engine out.

Not to mention getting to do the tandem/pump and coolant flange with that kind of space..nice. Not an option in my garage/household but if I could I'd consider it.

philshizle

TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon TDI
Thanks for the input everyone. I'm going to find an engine hoist and will pulling it out with the front end off. I don't feel like buying a transmission jack or bench pressing the auto out. I'm still a little unsure if I need tool T10255 to do the delete. I see it is necessary for the geared module install just wasn't sure if I needed when going with the alh oil pump. Any other recommended tools? I'll be using and air hammer for the crankshaft sprocket and will be fabing a tool to counter hold the sprocket when loosening the crankshaft bolt. I have the pd timing belt tool kit and vcds on the way. Anything I'm missing?

peiphil

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat GLS TDI and big old Dodge Cummins TDI
That tool holds the bsm in the correct position during the install but you wont need it for the delete option !

philshizle

TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon TDI
Got the pedals installed today and the clutch pedal switch f36 (blue one) does not come in contact with the clutch pedal. It is maybe a 1/4" out. I couldn't find any way to adjust ithe in the service manual. Any idea what could be causing this?

burnercan

TDI
2005 Passat
I'm also getting ready to attack the BSM delete and am sort of looking forward to taking an air hammer to that stupid thing. After reading lots here about the various methods of removing the crank sprocket, I'm a bit unclear about the air hammer procedure.

Does the sprocket need to be broken/cut/dremeled or otherwise suitably abused prior to laying the hammer to it? Or can I skip all of those steps and just go straight to the hammer?

Last edited:

papasmurf

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 jetta tdi, 2004 passat sedan tdi, 2005 passat wagon tdi , 2005 passat sedan tdi
I used an air hammer to move mine off of the crank. I should have removed the bearing cap because doing it my way, I put some dings in the crank. luckily it was not where the seal rode.

mgoff5000

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2004 Passat (RIP)
Look, I'm not gonna get in the way of anyone and air tools but the modified puller worked great for me and I don't think it put the crank at any risk at all.

AllenAlic

TDI
05 Passat TDI Wagon
I did these two task at different times on the ground. I would definitely say pull the motor and trans. Removing the front core gives so much room to slide the unit out and you have a nice chance to repair the coolant flange and anything else’s that might be amiss. Here is a link to when I did the BSM delete. I cut the sprocket and it just slid off.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
×2 on cutting the sprocket with a fine cutting wheel on a side grinder. I don't have a need for these tight spaced. 2 or 3 jaw pullers in my shop, i would have had to borrow one and i cant grind down borrowed tools.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
Remove the #1 crank bearing cap and put air hammer to rim of toothed pulley. 5 secs and its off. The delete kit i get from Bora includes the cap replacement bolts

y22man

Veteran Member
I Did this job in the month of November and December. I pulled the motor and transmission out as one unit. I then remove the automatic transmission. And installed the clutch and transmission. It was way easy and I was able to pull the motor and trans in the bout the same time as it would take just the trans out the bottom. It was a lot easier with the motor out of the car. Did this job in the month of November and December. I pulled the motor and transmission out as one unit. I then remove the automatic transmission. And installed the clutch and transmission. It was way easy and I was able to pull the motor and trans in the bout the same time as it would take just the trans out the bottom. It was a lot easier with the motor out of the car.

Jay