Help Please.. EGR Readiness FAIL And MAF Specified Constant

CATDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 A5 Jetta TDI Pkg #3
Hi All:
I tried smogging our 2005 Passat TDI with BHW engine and was suprised when it didn't pass. It was due to a readiness fault with the EGR.
Did a few extended drives and it still has issues. I logged with VCDS and the specified MAF value never changes from 850.
I did some reasearch on here and people said replace the MAF sensor. Which I did. Same problem. I checked the EGR and it was filthy, so I cleaned it. Same problem.

The car has a Rocketchip RC 1 tune with EGR turned off. There are no check engine lights or fault codes. I simply cannot get the specified MAF value to change. I tried disconnecting the battery for 10 mins to see if that would reset the ECU, but it didn't do anything.

I checked the hose between the MAF and the turbo and couldn't find any holes or anything wrong.

Below is a graph of a data log. Any insight is very much appreciated.

CATDI

Veteran Member
TDI
If anybody has any ideas, I'd love to hear it. Jeff hasn't been reachable, so I'm kinda stuck.

CATDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Here was the EGR that I had before cleaning. Would that cause the MAF Actual to stay at 850?

Anyone? :)

bluesmoker

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 pd 5 speed tip
the maf setting to 850 is part of the egr delete tune

you need an update to the RC tune or a Malone tune that will pass inspections

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
^^^ T'would be my internet guess as well. Handling readiness is a function of the EGR delete code, and very likely so is the way the MAF readings are being processed.

CATDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Thank you all very much for your replies. I checked my 2006 BRM Jetta with Rocketchip tuning and it starts out with 850 MAF requested, but changes to variable values once the engine starts. So I'm not sure what is going on.

Jeff has been unreachable via phone/text/email. I'm kinda stuck unless someone else has some ideas?

CATDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Thank you oilhammer. The weird thing is that the car passed smog twice before with the same software installed. So it must be something else causing this EGR readiness issue? Any ideas?

-Ed

Btravelen

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 TDI Passat Variant
The pic you posted looks just like mine, the couple times I removed it to clean it earlier in it's life..

It appears to me that the valve isn't working, based on the crud that looks unbroken. I've heard others say that you can 'observe the operation' on the VagCom, but in light of dieselgate, I'm not convinced that it's not a spoof. Again, the buildup of crud does not have the appearance of being disturbed, as it would if the valve was actually operating normally.. Just my theory..

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
MAF delete tunes are generally such that the EGR never operates, ever. Which is why you can easily remove the EGR, the cooler, pipes, etc. and the engine will still operate the same, no DTC set, no MIL on.

However, depending on how the software was changed, the readiness monitor may either be manually set (forced) to always be "ready", all the time, OR the ECU may just be told to never bother to check it, so that readiness monitor simply hangs out in no man's land with the "not ready" situation. Which is fine if you do not have OBD testing in your area, but if you do (like we have here), that will not pass.

I suspect the OP has an older RC tune and/or Jeff did not bother with that part of it, I cannot say. I am not a tuner, I generally send Jeff ECUs via mail and he knows I will always need the readiness set. He has never let me down, but he is very busy and may not always be easy to get a hold of.

He actually has fixed some really screwed up ECU problems for me, most recently one that VOLKSWAGEN themselves screwed up trying to fix the problem that happened when some morons installed a gasoline-version of an 02E DSG into a BRM car, and the M-unit corrupted all communications on the CAN. Got the right trans in the car, Jeff untooefed the ECU for me, and we got the customer running and happy again. :)

CATDI

Veteran Member
TDI
I completely agree that Jeff is an awesome tuner and a genuine nice guy. I have met him several times in person at tuning GTGs. I trust his work. I just need his support right now.

No communication when you really need it like this is a big issue.

I hope I hear from him soon. :) Time's running out.

My 2006 BRM with RC 1+ tune doesn't have this issue and all of the readiness checks are set perfectly.

-Ed

MAF delete tunes are generally such that the EGR never operates, ever. Which is why you can easily remove the EGR, the cooler, pipes, etc. and the engine will still operate the same, no DTC set, no MIL on.
However, depending on how the software was changed, the readiness monitor may either be manually set (forced) to always be "ready", all the time, OR the ECU may just be told to never bother to check it, so that readiness monitor simply hangs out in no man's land with the "not ready" situation. Which is fine if you do not have OBD testing in your area, but if you do (like we have here), that will not pass.
I suspect the OP has an older RC tune and/or Jeff did not bother with that part of it, I cannot say. I am not a tuner, I generally send Jeff ECUs via mail and he knows I will always need the readiness set. He has never let me down, but he is very busy and may not always be easy to get a hold of.
He actually has fixed some really screwed up ECU problems for me, most recently one that VOLKSWAGEN themselves screwed up trying to fix the problem that happened when some morons installed a gasoline-version of an 02E DSG into a BRM car, and the M-unit corrupted all communications on the CAN. Got the right trans in the car, Jeff untooefed the ECU for me, and we got the customer running and happy again. :)

CATDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Just to follow up on this..

Jeff never got back to me after several calls, voicemails, emails, etc.

I had to get a new Malone tune with dynamic EGR. Works great. Email me if you need more details.