Newest map version on 2015 Golf

TheFireman

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL
When I purchased my "new" 2015 Golf TDI, the selling dealer swore it would have the "latest, most up-to-date" software.

My NAVIGATION system screen shows:

Device part number: 5G0035876

Hardware:014

Software: 0655

Navigation database:
5G0919866S 0022 NAR 2015

----------------
local dealer mechanics (same ones who have messed up on all past occasions) swear it's the LATEST VERSION, nothing newer available.:confused:

P.S. same expert mechanic (his own words) stated that ALL the software on my car was up-to-date.

Last edited:

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
When I purchased my "new" 2015 Golf TDI, the selling dealer swore it would have the "latest, most up-to-date" software.

My NAVIGATION system screen shows:

Device part number: 5G0035876

Hardware:014

Software: 0655

Navigation database:
5G0919866S 0022 NAR 2015

----------------
local dealer mechanics (same ones who have messed up on all past occasions) swear it's the LATEST VERSION, nothing newer available.:confused:

P.S. same expert mechanic (his own words) stated that ALL the software on my car was up-to-date.
I would bet they were talking about the ECM software and none of them even fathomed that you were talking about navigation software AND from what I can tell, updates to the maps beyond the year the car was MFG cost money. I could be wrong on that though, I never use in car nav, mobile mapping is always current and streaming via BT get's it done for me.

Good luck man

Last edited:

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
The maps are on the SD card in slot 1 (I think) in the glovebox. Last I checked, I had the most up-to-date card. Not the best, since they're now three years old at least.

TheFireman

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL
I would bet they were talking about the ECM software and none of them even fathomed that you were talking about navigation software AND from what I can tell, updates to the maps beyond the year the car was MFG cost money. I could be wrong on that though, I never use in car nav, mobile mapping is always current and streaming via BT get's it done for me.

Good luck man
I absolutely specified NAVIGATION SOFTWARE, which they claimed WOULD be updated to latest AT NO CHARGE TO ME,
since I had purchased a NEW UN-TITLED VEHICLE... (NOT USED, NOT CPO, NOT BUY-BACK, NOT SALVAGE..)
NEW UN-TITLED,

The local dealer "expert mechanic" stated that

Navigation database:
5G0919866S 0022 NAR 2015

is the LATEST NAV SOFTWARE.

IS IT THE LATEST??

Last edited:

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
I absolutely specified NAVIGATION SOFTWARE, which they claimed WOULD be updated to latest AT NO CHARGE TO ME,
since I had purchased a NEW UN-TITLED VEHICLE... (NOT USED, NOT CPO, NOT BUY-BACK, NOT SALVAGE..)
NEW UN-TITLED,

The local dealer "expert mechanic" stated that

Navigation database:
5G0919866S 0022 NAR 2015

is the LATEST NAV SOFTWARE.

IS IT THE LATEST??
Settle down man, no need to go all caps happy. It is the latest software for that car, for our cars built in 2015, that were new to us in 2017. There doesn't seem to be any free updates for the *nav* software that the dealer could/can even do, it's a 3rd party that provides them.

There has been a solution proposed earlier in this thread that "may" work for you but if you call them, you might try honey before the vinegar.... Or handle it however you like. Good luck to ya :cool:

NorthVan

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDi: 2014 Touareg TDi
I do not even bother with the factory Nav system in my car, I use the Waze App on my phone. Free updates, and uses traffic info to find the fastest route

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
Traffic subscription from sirius can be had for $99 for a two year deal. Far safer than using a phone while driving and less data and battery drainage. I don't mind the system at all. Sure, I'd much rather have had carplay, but this works well enough.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Waze/Apple Maps/Google data theathered apps also need data signal, I've driven off in to "blank space" more than once in the hills.

Anyways good luck with trying to get that extra $300

TDIBone

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagon TDI
Must still be based on older maps though, because I finally figured out why it was guiding me away from a very obvious route to get to work.... Because 10 years ago, that route was one way and converted to two way.

I can never figure out how I can buy a GPS with lifetime traffic and map updates for $100, yet the dealers want to charge $300 just to update the map.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
Must still be based on older maps though, because I finally figured out why it was guiding me away from a very obvious route to get to work.... Because 10 years ago, that route was one way and converted to two way.

I can never figure out how I can buy a GPS with lifetime traffic and map updates for $100, yet the dealers want to charge $300 just to update the map.
The map updates, when available, are $100 (last I checked at least) for the SD card that they are written on. The most recent one was out of date already when I received my vehicle almost two years ago.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Waze/Apple Maps/Google data theathered apps also need data signal, I've driven off in to "blank space" more than once in the hills.

Anyways good luck with trying to get that extra $300
Why do folks even bother with the beyond lame Navi's that come with cars?

If you have a smart phone, you already have a real time app (including traffic) that does not require updates and only cost you data to use. Safety wise it is excellent because it gives you voice turn by turn directions so you don't even have to look at your phone. If you do want to look at the map, a 3G or 4G tablet is just a brilliant way to go.

If you drive were there may be spotty signal, you can download map data, as well. Even with no signal, GPS still works. You just won't be real time again until you have signal.

https://support.google.com/maps/answer/3273406?co=GENIE.Platform=Android&hl=en&oco=1

Last edited:

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
I own and have owned several Garmin stand alone GPS's. Currently own two.

Both have LIFETIME updates which are downloadable about 2 - 3 times a year at no extra charges. You can buy a Garmin with lifetime maps for what VW wants for outdated update maps.

I also have the identical maps (v.2018.2) on my laptop and can create a 2,000 mile route in about 15 minutes and then connect my Garmin and copy/move the route.

To do the same in the RNS 510, first you have to know the long convoluted way to add your own waypoints. Then when the waypoints are installed it took me 1 1/2 hours to set up a 2,000 mile route. It wasn't very straight forward. On my loooooooong trips I take my Garmin with me.

I basically only use the RNS 510 for local trips and even then it can sometimes be a royal PIA !

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Used Garmins are cheap too. I keep one in the car for those times when Google nav doesn't have service. I bought a used RNS315 to go into my new left over 2015 Beetle and it will handle the loss of service areas instead of a Garmin, as well as BT music streaming and directions from the phone.

TDIBone

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagon TDI
Why do folks even bother with the beyond lame Navi's that come with cars?
I dunno, convenience? If I had bought a new car and it was an option, I wouldn't choose it.

The only thing I loved about the loaner car I had for a while was it had Android Auto. I wish my 2015 VW had better Android phone app integration (I think it does with Apple).

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Used Garmins are cheap too. I keep one in the car for those times when Google nav doesn't have service.
Actually it does not matter what GPS you are using, if for some reason you have no satellite coverage no GPS will work. But having said that those situations are few and far between. Tunnels, long underpasses etc will cause loss of satellite reception as will certain deep valleys. Even some large cities such as NYC may experience that because the skyscrapers may/will block satellite reception. Though some good stand alone GPS's will have a retention feature built in.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Well we were talking about loss of service for your cell phone. If I lose gps in a tunnel, no problem. I know exactly where I will come out and gps will resume. Loss of gps signal like you said is few and far between and even then usually only for a short period of time. I try and stay away from New York anyway.