Swapping out Aluminum Dashboard Trim

windcr8zy

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen
I just purchased a used 2015 SE GSW with beige interior, and I can't stand the fake brushed aluminum trim. Has anyone swapped out the trim on the dashboard and center console with grey trim from the Alltrack or the Piano Black from a junkyard SEL? Ideally I'd find something matte black, but that doesn't seem to exist. Any help or tips would be appreciated. I pick up this car Friday to replace my 2010 JSW.

BobbyWires

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW manual, 1991 Syncro Vanagon, 2004 Audi A4 Avant 6man, 1990 Ford F250 351 "farm truck" 2014 Q7 TDI Sline
Pop it out and paint it

windcr8zy

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen
That's really not a bad idea. I slightly worry about durability with paint, but I'm sure I could find something that works. Do you know how hard the trim on the instrument panel is to remove? Everything else looks easy.

surfstar

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf & Passat - sold | 2016 GSW TSI
Give it a few weeks to make sure it still annoys you.
I remember another poster (maybe on VWvortex) who swore he would do the same, then quickly grew to not-mind, then even like the silver trim.

Barring that, I wonder how plasti-dip would do? Could give a matte black finish, decent durability, and easy to peel off if needed.

giuseppe_b

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SportWagen SE 6MT
I thought I would not like it on my SE, with the beige. In pictures it always looked too shiny or bright. However when I saw it in person, it looks much better. It grew on me pretty quickly and I like it now.

You might consider plasti-dip over paint, for better durability and no peeling/scratching.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
When we picked out the '15 Golf Wagon last week one of the other choices at the dealership had the shiny black trim and I really didn't like it. Went with the brushed aluminum. De gustibus non disputatum est.

Last edited:

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
A local TDI Club member had all of the wood pattern trim in his Passat hydro coated in a dark carbon fiber look that was pretty cool.

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
A local TDI Club member had all of the wood pattern trim in his Passat hydro coated in a dark carbon fiber look that was pretty cool.
It would be interesting to see the photos (or in person) and to learn the cost of the process.

windcr8zy

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen
I appreciate your advice. Bad news is, VW called today to tell me they don't have the title to the car I purchased, and won't have it for 7 to 14 days. So now I'm looking for a different car, as I have to drive back to the west coast.

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
Contact 1854 Sailor to see if the other (new) stop sale GSw he looked at is still available.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
Contact 1854 Sailor to see if the other (new) stop sale GSw he looked at is still available.
They were not "new", Bob. High teen, low 20K mile turn-ins with the stage 1 fix. Ours has 23K miles on it.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
Sorry for the error. Dave told me you acquired a stop sale car.
No, it was a buy-back. Love it, though. I swapped the wheels today and I really like the look. Check out the pic in the Golf picture forum.

Last edited:

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
It would be interesting to see the photos (or in person) and to learn the cost of the process.
I don't remember the guy's TDI Club name, but he was at several local GTGs. I'll check with Lawson as I think that he was a VA person.

windcr8zy

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen
Thanks guys. I've found two other potential cars. Hoping to get that locked down tomorrow after spending the afternoon calling dealerships around the country.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I'm more impressed a dealer had a car on the lot that they didn't have the title for it. Smells fishy.

I'm almost thinking they didn't want to sell it to you or had already sold it to someone else for more coin.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
I checked with Lawson it was Mike (Coffeemade) but from his posts, it looks like he turned the car in. I checked his username and it looks like he hasn't posted to the forums in over a year.

MIVWTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
12 JSW DSG (RIP), 15 GSW
I also have the brushed aluminum dash and hated it when I purchased the car. I looked around and found several dash kits with many different finishes, that looked good.

After a couple of days I got use to it and forgot about it.

TDIBone

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagon TDI
I found this thread because I have the exact opposite problem. I find the black interior in the SEL (highline) is too much. The entire interior is black and I was hoping to change the plastic panels. Was looking for anyone who might have changed the panels and how it looked. Might be open to a swap, but probably shipping cross-border would make it too expensive.

Since the HVAC controls are different between the different trim levels, does anyone know if there are different part #s, or do they use punch outs to accommodate the extra buttons on the models with automatic HVAC?