Infotainment problems

BlackGolfOn17s

TDI
Golf, 2002, Black
After one week of owning my new 2015 GSW se my infotainment screen started blinking in all screens including the reverse camera. Took it back to the dealership​ for this and other little things. Got most of the other things done but they had to order a new infotainment. But they are on back order! 50 of them are on order right now in the us and none to be found. I'm wondering if the 2 years of sitting has caused this demand for them, is anyone else having this problem!

JettaRon91vw

TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
Yeah my screen on my GSW SE did the same thing when we picked it up from the dealer. They ordered the part right then and there and I'm just waiting for it to come in. It's only been a week. It doesn't bother me too much though, just as long as it DOES get fixed.

BobbyWires

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW manual, 1991 Syncro Vanagon, 2004 Audi A4 Avant 6man, 1990 Ford F250 351 "farm truck" 2014 Q7 TDI Sline
Same issue with mine was told from sitting not being used for a long time but who knows. The unit worked just the LCD flickered. I bought the car 3 weeks ago but it needed this and some service so I changed my buyback to this dealer to make it an easy swap. Im going to pick her this Saturday so hopefully she's all good

jMone83

TDI
'15 GSW S DSG; '13 Golf 6MT [RIP]
I'm having the same problem with my '15 GSW and as i type this, just dropped off at the dealer. Started flickering within the 1st week. Didn't bother me much to go back to dealer right away so put it off a few weeks.

As far as possibly replacing with a 2017 unit- that'd be great but I've read that the 2017 unit would require updating other (more costly) components.

brownnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI, 2011 JSW TDI & 2018 Atlas 2.0T S
I'm having the same problem with my '15 GSW and as i type this, just dropped off at the dealer. Started flickering within the 1st week. Didn't bother me much to go back to dealer right away so put it off a few weeks.
As far as possibly replacing with a 2017 unit- that'd be great but I've read that the 2017 unit would require updating other (more costly) components.
I wonder if you can convince VW to replace it with a 2017 unit and do whatever to make it work. Would they even have 2015 head units in stock?

jMone83

TDI
'15 GSW S DSG; '13 Golf 6MT [RIP]
I wonder if you can convince VW to replace it with a 2017 unit and do whatever to make it work. Would they even have 2015 head units in stock?
got my car back but dealer had to order the unit (didn't mention any 'back order') so gotta wait for the part.
As far as convincing the dealer to install a '17, found the discussion on Vortex (http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?7242198-2016-MIB-II-infotainment-System-on-an-2015-GTI) and sounds like the parts alone are close to $3k! i doubt the dealer or VWoA would be willing to...

krebsy75

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagen DSG; 2014 Golf 6MT; 2014 Sportwagen DSG; 2015 Golf SEL DSG
Mine reboots a lot. It seems to only happen when my iPhone is connected.

Ooga

TDI
Mk7 SportWagen
only issue I had is a issue where the reverse camera blanks out as I back up and I'm not sure if its due to me backing up fast or the bumb in my driveway. BUT NOW as of my drive to the corner store about 10 min ago the radio started skipping my songs. I thought it was due to my phone and the bluetooth but the touchscreen wouldn't acknowledge my touches. I couldn't select anything. I turned the car off and on also the radio off and on but it stayed the same. It is a 2015 as well. Anyone else have this happen?

This_Fuggin_Guy

TDI
2015 GSW
only issue I had is a issue where the reverse camera blanks out as I back up and I'm not sure if its due to me backing up fast or the bumb in my driveway.
I think that may be a built in safety feature. My screen will blank out in reverse but it only seems to happen when I'm gong fast. But then as soon as I slow down, it comes right back up.

Ooga

TDI
Mk7 SportWagen
I think that may be a built in safety feature. My screen will blank out in reverse but it only seems to happen when I'm gong fast. But then as soon as I slow down, it comes right back up.
Thanks for replying.... I kinda figured so. Its like a double edged safety feature, if it goes out when reversing faster thats kinda sketchy... but I'm sure some say reversing that fast is sketchy. Thanks again.

AGOODHI

Veteran Member
TDI
MKVII GSW, MKVI Golf
thanks for the post. i'll have to keep an eye out for a flickering screen. so far no problems (knock on wood)

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Would VW give you one from a 2017 car or a 2015 replacement?

2017 MIB2 isn't that much better, was streaming BT audio and couldn't control the volume on the car, multiple times.

When using Carplay and switching between maps and the FM radio, multiple times the screen goes blank.

Theres been countless other complaints on the 2017 nav units too.

bballppaul

TDI
2015 Golf TDI S - Buyback, replaced with new 2015 GolfSportwagen S DSG
I have the flickering screen too. Just did the buyback on my 2015 Golf TDI S Manual and bought a new 2015 Golf Sportwagen S w/DSG. Couldn't pass up on the offer, as I was going to be upgrading the size of car in a year or two as I'll probably be starting a family then. The dealer said that they've seen infotainment problems in a several of their other units, and aren't sure why, but only knowing that these problems only occurred in the cars that sat for two years and had weak batteries.

They've ordered me a new infotainment system from VW, as that has generally solved the issue. It still functions well, it's just that the screen flickers. So it's not affecting the enjoyment of my new car! For such a "dad" vehicle as my friends say, it handles and rides great!

wetskier2000

Veteran Member
TDI
Gone: 05 Jetta GLS Wagon Current: 2015 GSW SEL 6MT
Flicker, flicker..

Same symptoms in our 2015 GSW SEL on the Infotainment system. Has anyone had a replacement installed yet? Success?

giuseppe_b

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SportWagen SE 6MT
So far, no consistent issues with my MIB system. We connect an iPhone to the cable and most of the time it wants to default to iTunes songs on the phone. If I then choose a podcast or streaming app, the unit will eventually play that.
Bluetooth with the Android has been pretty flawless until yesterday. I was able to use the system to go through my calls and select someone from the list, then make the call. Once that started, there was no audio through the car, just the phone directly. As if the Bluetooth was only half working.
I hung up. The person later phoned me back and I answered it using the car's system, but nothing through the audio. Weird.

I later tried to stream to it from the phone and it worked. I also made a call and that was normal again. Later still, on my way home, it did not immediately connect to the phone/bluetooth as it usually does. It tried, then gave some error on the MFD, and the infotainment system flickered and finally came to life.

This may be a fluke, I don't know. I hope it was just that and not a bigger problem.

wetskier2000

Veteran Member
TDI
Same symptoms in our 2015 GSW SEL on the Infotainment system. Has anyone had a replacement installed yet? Success?
Dealer appt at 6:00 tonite.. They say they'll do the software updates and if that doesn't fix it, they'll order a new unit... We'll see..

Leafsfan

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Wagon TDI Highline 6MT, Pure White
I traded in my 2011 GSW TDi for a 2015 GSW TDi about a month ago. I had the same flickering screen issue. Dealer told me it was a module problem inside the glove compartment. They took my car in over a week ago. The day after they took it in, I got a call saying they got the wrong module from VWoC, and that a new module would be flown out from Germany. I'm still waiting to get my GSW back. Hoping it's back by early next week. On the upside, they lent me a 2017 e-Golf for over a week, which I absolutely love. We plan to order one to replace my wife's 2002 Corolla.

wetskier2000

Veteran Member
TDI
I traded in my 2011 GSW TDi for a 2015 GSW TDi about a month ago. I had the same flickering screen issue. Dealer told me it was a module problem inside the glove compartment. They took my car in over a week ago. The day after they took it in, I got a call saying they got the wrong module from VWoC, and that a new module would be flown out from Germany. I'm still waiting to get my GSW back. Hoping it's back by early next week. On the upside, they lent me a 2017 e-Golf for over a week, which I absolutely love. We plan to order one to replace my wife's 2002 Corolla.
Same prognosis for us. The glove box stuff was ordered from Germany.. They said a week or so to get it. We are still driving the car.

BruinsFan

Funny story..... Invite my cousins down from NS to a Bruins/Leafs game.... One of my cousins wears his old time Leafs jersey! The Bruins lost. Not funny.

lvfnchs

Veteran Member
TDI
Buyback: Golf TDI 2011 / Now have Golf TDI 2015
I picked up my new-used 2015 Golf TDI last Monday and I'm having issues with the radio. At random times, both the radio and the media (my iPod plugged in) won't respond to me touching the buttons. When I'm not touching the buttons, with my hands on the steering wheel, it's changing stations/songs, going back and forth between menus, as if someone is touching the buttons. It has a mind of its own and it's driving me nuts! It's going for a checkup soon. They said it's probably the software.

I'm also not thrilled about the new lack of options in the phone and media section of the stereo. There's no longer a single up/down to change tracks or songs, and the scrolling is too fast so it's hard to find what I'm looking for (had a 2011, it had a single up/down option to go one at a time). The phone in the 2011 let me see missed calls, recent calls and received calls. The new one just has a random list so I can't call someone back unless I find it on the phone itself, not the screen of the car.

b757236

TDI
2011 JSW 2015 GSW SEL
Mine has been flickering from day one...dealer will replace but i haven't had time to bring it in. Will update when I get it back

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Hmmm-anyone else have problems when they first start it?My radio takes a good 10 seconds to show the stations,then it seems it lags when I touch the screen to change the station.... it's not as quick as the radio was in my '16 Jetta....

bballppaul

TDI
2015 Golf TDI S - Buyback, replaced with new 2015 GolfSportwagen S DSG
Hey everyone. Just following up on my radio. The new radio module came in a couple weeks ago but I didn't get around to replacing it until last week. It took about 2-2.5 hrs. I waited at the dealership doing work on my laptop. Problem appears to be fixed! Only little annoyance was having to deal with the Sirius XM people to transfer my subscription. Since it's not a new car purchase you can't transfer with the online webform and have to call. And then of course they want to charge a transfer fee, which I then complain about until it's waved, yada, yada, yada. But that's not VW's fault.

All-in-all, problem has been fixed for me.

wetskier2000

Veteran Member
TDI
While waiting for the parts, our infotainment screen has gone from jumbly to dark and blank. Hope it's all the same fix..

JettaRon91vw

TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
I got my radio replaced 2 weeks ago for the flickering screen. My free trial of XM radio was supposed to run out last Sunday but I guess since I have a new radio ID xm can't turn it off? It's been a week and I still have free xm. Anyone know how long this will go on? I love xm but I can't justify the extra expense when I can stream pandora for free.

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
Mine loses its radio station tuning when you cycle the key.

Luckily the presets stay intact.

But it's irritating to key on, select the station. Key off, key on, back on 87.7, have to select the station again

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
The radio station jumping back to 87.7 FM is a known issue - there's a TSB apparently, and a no-charge fix at VW dealer; I had mine done about a month ago.

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen dsg and 2015 Passat 6 M/T
This must be a problem since I just did the Consumer Reports car survey and they specifically asked if the infotainment system was giving me trouble

galexandr

TDI
JSW 2012
The radio station jumping back to 87.7 FM is a known issue - there's a TSB apparently, and a no-charge fix at VW dealer; I had mine done about a month ago.

Can you share the TSB? I am getting really annoyed that it resets itself every time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk