Lease Return Consensus on Overage/Damage?

NamesLucky

TDI
14 TDI Jetta
I am considering doing the lease termination and have seem some people comment on damage and/or overage miles being waived when turning in their TDI lease. I was hopeful about the damage being waived, but didn't expect the overage miles to be waived with the wording of the settlement and our lease agreements. Anyone have any 1st hand experiences?

My local dealer says the overage miles will definitely be charged, but I also believe she was trying to get me into something that day as well, saying every day I drive racks up more overage miles....so possibly biased.

Lucsar

Veteran Member
TDI
Returned to VW: 2015 Passat Highline DSG EarlyLease Termination
I'm not familiar with what you folks have to face when doing a lease return in the U.S. as I'm from Canada, but I would imagine it isn't any different. We're still awaiting the court approval up here(should be March 30). Having said that I remember the settlement documents saying that" lease returns will still be subject to inspection, and any damage or over mileage allowance that was in the original lease would still be subject to a penalty, meaning the leasee would be footing the bill. All I can remember for sure is that the only thing VW is allowing for people who are leasing is " early lease termination" without the typical penalty involved plus your restitution money. Hope this helps...

Michel61

TDI
Retured 2014 Passat TDI SEL
I have done my lease return. (December 2016) and was over mileages, so far no bill or heard anything from VW

Fourplay

, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2014 A8L
Just buy the car out and sell it to a relative or spouse, have them complete the buyback.

Eliminates damage or mileage concerns and nets more money.

Last edited:

Airpizz6

Veteran Member
TDI
Now TDI-free, but there now is a 15 MB E250 BT in the driveway
Just buy the car out and sell it to a relative or spouse, have them complete the buyback.

Eliminates damage or mileage concerns and nets more money.
That solution seems so obvious, I don't know why every lessee hasn't followed that route. Must be some downside other than sales (or use) tax and other fees, but should almost always result in a profit.

Fourplay

, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2014 A8L
That solution seems so obvious, I don't know why every lessee hasn't followed that route. Must be some downside other than sales (or use) tax and other fees, but should almost always result in a profit.
People just didn't think of it. But it is a no-brainer.

I have received an offer letter on my formerly leased car, so it does indeed work. On my '14 JSW TDI 6MT:

Lessee restitution: $3,504

vs.

VW Buyback Amount: $28,127
Buyout lease: $17,197
Georgia TAVT and Tag: $1102
Net: $9,828

Almost triple the return, and no worries about dings or going over on mileage.