Tuning?

CWill

TDI
2015 GSW S
Has anyone tuned there mk7 gsw or golf, I have looked everywhere and haven't found that much about it?? Very curious?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Kerma TDI

Malone Tuning

Rocket Chip

There are quite a few options, I believe each provide right around the same increase, all are great to deal with and active on this forum.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Has anyone tuned there mk7 gsw or golf, I have looked everywhere and haven't found that much about it?? Very curious?
If you have not had the PHASE 1 fix done then you need to get it done first. The VW software fix will remove the tune.

I've had Phase 1 done but I'll wait until Phase 2 is done before I get the Malone tune and Malone DSG tune done.

Darth_Furious

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW, DSG

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=480681

It's currently 6 posts below yours. There aren't many posts on tuning the MK7. I spent tons of time looking up TDIclub, myturbodiesel, golfmk7, & reddit for reviews. Tons of biased info throughout different forums (like normal).

I got Kerma so I can easily reflash every time there is a recall/ECU update. I lost my REVO tune on my mk6 JSW and with a ECU update and had to take a day off, drive to the shop that did my REVO, & pay $50 for them to put it back on. The next mandatory ECU update (needed for my CA registration), I decided to not take a day off work to pay $50 for REVO again. I missed having that REVO tune but ended up doing the buyback less than a year later.

With the MK7, there is no REVO and based on reviews I found, I had 2 options: Malone or Kerma. I liked having the Q-loader so I can reload the tune after the dealer reflashes it on the next update. That feature seemed worth it based on my experience with REVO on the mk6.

I had the tune for about a month and I really like it. The MK7 after the fix was sluggish and muted. It feels great driving the car now. I'm sure Malone's tune is pretty good too. Can't really go wrong either way. They are probably all good. If REVO had a MK7 tune and I had to choose all over again... I don't know, it feels similar enough that I personally can't tell. I never push it hard enough to justify any difference. I have a feeling I would say the same about Malone if I ever got it. Just get whichever one you want and don't look back

Last edited:

hause

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
MK4 Golf Tdi... all souped up also a MK7 Sportwagen on its way to greatness
I have kerma stage 2, its pretty good. Dosen't pull well past 4k, I need to contact customer service about it, see whats involved in logging the data to improve my tune.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Don't think you're going to get any tune to do much above 4K with stock turbo, they can adjust fueling to their hearts content, but unless there's air, all you do is making smoke, time for CR190 turbo! Also I don't believe kerma supports turbo upgrades, but I could be wrong.

But let us know what they say.

KERMA

TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
kermatdi supports turbo upgrades

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
Only so much that can be done with the stock exhaust, although kerma picked up a cr190 tuned customer of ours recently with deletes and seems to be considering offering them? Some of those CR190s have proven to be a pain for boost control and the gains are somewhat disappointing, better off fabbing up a larger unit. Stock turbo these die off by 4 grand and you'll put more torque down in a taller gear.

Last edited:

CWill

TDI
2015 GSW S
Yeah I just picked the car up like a month ago as a left over 15 so I only have 1500 miles on it, def need to wake it up a bit, I've never driven a tdi before, so I don't have anything to compare to, but I would like to wake it up

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
sluggish torque at moderate pedal pressure

I find the phase 1 modified 2015 GSW DSG a bad "fix".

The dealership claimed no difference in performance, and maybe it makes same peak torque SOMEWHERE on the curve, but no way is is the same.

My 2014 JSW made MUCH more torque between 1200and 2000 rpm with moderate throttle pressure. The obvious difference is that it won't hold on hills or accelerate without pressing down and you see the instantaneous mpg readout plummt (born out in hand calculated FE). The EPA compliant fix results in pitiful "performance" for a TDI. Sure, it is plenty spunky if you push down the throttle, but FE stinks when you do. I mean bad.

I will get a tune when I have room in the budget. Frankly, I would be happy to get stock performance level that I had in the 2014 JSW. Really annoying situation!!

I get much better FE in the new 2015 when I don't have to deal with traffic, and allow it to drift past speed limit down hills, slow down going up hills. And you CAN get it to hold pretty well on hills between 45 and 60mpg, but only with VERY careful throttle pedal control. Just a little too much, and the mpg drops into low 30's instantly. Into the twenties if you accelerate up a hill, even a little. Just stupid!

jsrmonster

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
15 Golf SW DSG, RC3 piped, 99.5 Jetta Rocket PD150 6spd 4motion, 2000 ASV110 RC6 "Silverbullet" 5spd Race Car, 2003.5 Cummins QCLB 4x4 "Blue Monster" Jeep CRD juiced, MB Sprinter van juiced up
The 2015 Tdi gsw-dsg has a horrible shift strategy and excessive turbo lag from the factory. You don't realize it until you drive a correctly tuned one. I get 5mpg's more just by being in the right gear at the right rpm/torque at tip-in with dsg tune alone (any/all gears). It gets another 3-4 mpgs (adding engine tune) by eliminating all the lag and missing low end torque. My tuned car upshifts gears between 1600-2600 (normal throttle) now instead of 1200-2200 Rpm's. The biggest improvement is keeping it out of 6th gear until 55-60 mph. When you are lugging around at 40 mph in 6th gear, and tip in to pass, it has to downshift to 4th (on same clutch pak). This factory behavior results in more lag, insufficient exhaust energy to spool turbo and belching black smoke (clogging Dpf/more regens) and fat lambda/O2 sensor correction (pulling fuel back) giving lag and soot cubed!!! I can get 100 more miles out my tank with my tuning corrections which is no big deal to me, but I can zoom around now with ease and zero lag and no more traffic drama or constantly working paddle shifters nudging gears where they belong !!! I kept Dpf, and adblue working for now, but turned off egr and intake flaps, and leaned out start up and warm up fueling. Egr is also a big contributor to throttle lag (ie. wasted energy inhibiting turbo spool). I am very impressed with the new ea288 engineering and its towing capabilities as well. It's a great prime mover, and now I gotta get the horrible suspension redone and dialed in. Btw I like the rear beam better than Irs for trailering and carrying heavy loads, along with my rear air bags.
Jeff

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
The 2015 Tdi gsw-dsg has a horrible shift strategy and excessive turbo lag from the factory. You don't realize it until you drive a correctly tuned one. I get 5mpg's more just by being in the right gear at the right rpm/torque at tip-in with dsg tune alone (any/all gears). It gets another 3-4 mpgs (adding engine tune) by eliminating all the lag and missing low end torque. My tuned car upshifts gears between 1600-2600 (normal throttle) now instead of 1200-2200 Rpm's. The biggest improvement is keeping it out of 6th gear until 55-60 mph. When you are lugging around at 40 mph in 6th gear, and tip in to pass, it has to downshift to 4th (on same clutch pak). This factory behavior results in more lag, insufficient exhaust energy to spool turbo and belching black smoke (clogging Dpf/more regens) and fat lambda/O2 sensor correction (pulling fuel back) giving lag and soot cubed!!! I can get 100 more miles out my tank with my tuning corrections which is no big deal to me, but I can zoom around now with ease and zero lag and no more traffic drama or constantly working paddle shifters nudging gears where they belong !!! I kept Dpf, and adblue working for now, but turned off egr and intake flaps, and leaned out start up and warm up fueling. Egr is also a big contributor to throttle lag (ie. wasted energy inhibiting turbo spool). I am very impressed with the new ea288 engineering and its towing capabilities as well. It's a great prime mover, and now I gotta get the horrible suspension redone and dialed in. Btw I like the rear beam better than Irs for trailering and carrying heavy loads, along with my rear air bags.
Jeff
Hi Jeff! My 09 TDI got replaced with a stop sale GSW so had to sacrifice my RC1 Eco with the car. :( :(

Are there any new options for tuning remotely that you can offer yet or still ECU pull and send to you and DSG tuning in person only?

amitsekhon

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI,,,,,, 2010 X535D Diesel ,,,,,,,,,,,, 2002 Jetta manual TDI ALH (Sold)
but only with VERY careful throttle pedal control. Just a little too much, and the mpg drops into low 30's instantly. Into the twenties if you accelerate up a hill, even a little. Just stupid!
Yes you are right.I found the reason why MPG drops even with a little throttle input.It is post injection-1 that's ruining our MPG.You have to control your throttle precisely to dodge this post injection.I rolled back to pre-diesel gate software on 2015 Golf TDi but looks like this phenomenon is also present on pre dieselgate software.
I was under impression that it only happens during warmup and regen but No,postinjection-1 is active all the time (just depends on throttle input) dumping fuel for the sake of emissions.Post injection 2 and 3 are active only during warmup and during regen.

KERMA

TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
you are actually in regen in that screenshot

observe the km since last regen. (1 km)

the post dpf temp higher than pre dpf temp indicates nox/sox regen (depending on the model of car of course)

You will also see some post injection from time to time to keep the oxicat at operating temp, for instance during a long downhill stretch. Also during warmup to get the oxicat lit off.

amitsekhon

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI,,,,,, 2010 X535D Diesel ,,,,,,,,,,,, 2002 Jetta manual TDI ALH (Sold)
you are actually in regen in that screenshot
observe the km since last regen. (1 km)
the post dpf temp higher than pre dpf temp indicates nox/sox regen (depending on the model of car of course)
You will also see some post injection from time to time to keep the oxicat at operating temp, for instance during a long downhill stretch. Also during warmup to get the oxicat lit off.
Thanks for chiming in KERMA.Yes i took that screenshot just after the regen to show the phenomenon but it happens all the time even with a little throttle input.I can confidently say all the time even when the engine is fully warmed up.By All the time i mean whenever you give 3-4% throttle.If you give very little then it doesn't turn on and also it doesnt turn on under heavy acceleration.Here is another screenshot.

Last edited: