ALH swap in to '85 MK2 1.3 (build)

ca180

TDI
2001 Beetle TDI (Wrecked) 1986 Golf CL (Imported)
ALH swap in to '86 MK2 1.3 (build)

Hey guys, just jumping in here to document my progress on my Golf. Little back story, I bought the MK2 over 6 years ago while stationed in Germany. I knew very little about VW back then. I imported here to the states close to 5 years ago and have been putting around ever since.

The car started out as a standard CL with a 1.3 and a 4 speed. Over time I converted to dual side draft carburetors, installed a 5 speed from a Polo, coilovers, blah blah blah. Tons of stuff.

Well, about two weeks ago my Facet pump started to get week. Couple that with low fuel and low coolant and bam... I had a blown head gasket. Well, seemed like the perfect time to start working on a TDi swap.

In the stable I have a 2001 Beetle TDi donor that was a driver front wreck (considered totaled) and a 1987 Scirocco 16v with a seized motor.

While I was overseas I started collecting the parts to swap over a VR6, but once I found out customs wouldn't allow the car to be imported without the original engine I sold the MK3 I had a moved on. Fortunately I still have most all of the swap parts.

Still trying to figure the wiring situation. I'm not going to convert to CE2, but I know it can be done.

Some of the cool stuff about having a 1.3 is just how many parts are interchangeable to other models (i.e. speedo cable to O2A). Downside is that it never came wired for an electric fuel pump let alone a TDi. So this will definitely be a challenge. Thankfully between here, the vortex, GTIClub, and poloclub.co.uk I've got plenty of information to boot.

Hope someone follows this long enough for me to be able to ask a few questions! I'll post pics of my girl once I upload to imgur.... cause F#$! photobucket for what they did to us!

Last edited: