05 doesn't shift went into limp mode

TDIangel

TDI
1996 Passat TDI Wagon , 2005 Passat TDI Wagon
My 05 Passat went into limp mode, first code that popped up said something about the Torque Converter. Then it shuts the whole tranny down. Doesn't shift.
Recently it would jump into first. Last time I drove it, when it shifted it did not want to go above 3rd gear. Limped home and now it just shuts down the whole tranny and throws this code.

Some told me it was the Torque Converter, others telling me replace everything. Not sure what to do. Knew you guys would have good advice.

I just did all the cams and spent a lot doing a new pump etc while the engine was apart. Hate having gone the expense of the special cams and stuff, now facing this. What to do what to do.

Thanks guys in advance.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
Take it to a shop that knows what they are doing, let them do a proper diagnosis and then go from there.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The P0741 Torque Converter clutch code will not put the transmission in limp mode. That just means you need a new converter, pretty common (there is a TSB about this).

But it sounds like you may have some other issues. I would check for water intrusion on the passenger side floorboard also.

igiveup

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat, 2009 Jetta
If you shut it off and restart it. It should go out of limp mode.

I had one that just out of the blue gave out on third gear. Took the valve body apart on the weekend, found a $5 o-ring that was torn. Fingers (and eyes) crossed that's all it was. (and that I didn't screw anything else up in the process)

Run a scan and pull up your codes, if it's not P0741. I'll put my money on valve body issues. Can't remember the codes but it will say something like "excessive slippage in gear #X"