PD100 vs PD150 injectors on a PD engine

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
Has anyone here upgraded to PD150 injectors on their TDI? What would be the potential for HP and torque? Right now, I'm on a Stage 4 tune with a VNT17, but a little more power (and even a little more smoke) would be welcome. I'm also told that the injectors don't last forever (around 200-250K), so I'm sure they'll have to be replaced before I hit 300K anyways.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
Has anyone here upgraded to PD150 injectors on their TDI? What would be the potential for HP and torque? Right now, I'm on a Stage 4 tune with a VNT17, but a little more power (and even a little more smoke) would be welcome. I'm also told that the injectors don't last forever (around 200-250K), so I'm sure they'll have to be replaced before I hit 300K anyways.
I had PD150 injectors in my 05 ATD PD JWagen. I also had Rocketchip Stage 3 tuning with 3-bar MAP, VNT-17/22 turbo, and PD150 intake manifold. The clutch was a South Bend Stage 3 (renamed to Stage 2 Endurance a few years ago) and rated to hold 425 ft-lbs*.

Note that I mentioned ATD PD instead of BEW PD. TDIclub guru mrchill did an ATD PD engine swap and installed all upgrades except for the PD150 upgrade in one shot after a rogue timing belt took out my BEW PD engine in 2009. The ATD PD engine is aka the PD100 in Europe and is what the BEW PD engine was derived from for the USA. Aside from a few internal differences they are the exact same engine and makes a good swap option for a BEW PD application. A few BEW-specific parts had to be swapped over to the ATD to make it a plug and play swap. The whole job was expensive but the car was real hoot to drive afterwards. I put 90k miles on it with the ATD PD engine and then later sold it to mrchill after breaking the clutch from too much torque a year after the PD150 upgrade. At the time (2009-2014) I probably had the one and only documented ATD PD engine swap in a BEW PD application in the USA.

The PD150 injectors came at a later date (late 2012) as part of traveling down that dangerous slippery slope when it comes to modding. :) After the PD150 injector upgrade, the car was scary fast! I had to be careful with it because it was easy to break the front tires loose and real easy to totally bury a Prius in "Prius Repellent" as I quickly leave 'em behind. :D I also had a pyrometer and boost gauge installed to keep an eye on EGTs and boost. I did get to dyno the car once after the PD150 upgrade and it made around 180 HP and 305 ft-lbs at the wheels. :cool: And still getting at least 40 MPG while haulin' ar$e on the highway came as a bonus. :cool:

I managed to crack the windshield due to twisting the body from enjoying the weapons-grade torque. The front end of the car was essentially trying to pull away from the rest of the car and starting to bend the body at the windshield. It made a large horizontal crack on the passenger side. The amount of HP and TQ it could put to the wheels was such I needed to consider upgrading the rest of the car to safely handle the torque. I estimate the 0-60 time was in the 4 second range and was largely traction limited. One time I demo'd the car's capabilities to a coworker on clean dry pavement while rolling in 2nd gear at 2000 RPM and then punched it and it spun the front tires and redlined the engine. I grabbed 3rd gear and the tires hooked up and we took off like a rocket. The amount of Prius Repellent produced would have buried any traffic behind us.

In 2014 and after 90k miles on the ATD PD engine (TB was changed at 80k on the ATD, Torsion value set at 0.0) I managed to break the SBC 3 clutch after a year of enjoying the weapons-grade torque from the PD150 upgrade. The clutch wasn't slipping and the friction material was OK but it eventually sheared the disc away from the hub. It became a 2-piece clutch setup. At this point I decided I was done sinking any more money into this car at 160k miles and I had already moved away from VW TDIs to BMW Advanced Diesel with my 535d. I sold the car (w/broken clutch) to mrchill and it's now one of his many project cars. :)

If you're hungry for some serious weapons-grade torque then go for a PD150 injector upgrade. Be forewarned that you may need to upgrade the rest of the car to safely handle the torque. Too much torque is almost enough! :)

Have fun! :)

* = The units of torque are in ft-lbs, lb-ft, or Nm. Torque is NOT in feet per pounds (ft/lbs) or in pounds per foot (lb/ft), i.e., feet divided by pounds or pounds divided by feet. While feet per pounds (ft/lbs) and pounds per foot (lb/ft) are valid units, they are NOT the units of torque at all. Although grammatically correct, ft/lbs and lb/ft are technically wrong when describing torque and each describe something physically different from torque.

Last edited:

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI
PD150 injectors would be a great upgrade if you're looking for an increase in performance without spending over $1,000 on getting nozzles fitted to your current PD injectors.

Like n1das mentioned it really improves the performance of your car, since the injection window can be shortened while still delivering more fuel.

I know the PD150 injectors really transformed my car and boy was I glad to have a LSD in the car to put the power to both wheels.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
PD150 injectors would be a great upgrade if you're looking for an increase in performance without spending over $1,000 on getting nozzles fitted to your current PD injectors.

Like n1das mentioned it really improves the performance of your car, since the injection window can be shortened while still delivering more fuel.

I know the PD150 injectors really transformed my car and boy was I glad to have a LSD in the car to put the power to both wheels.
What turbo do you have on your car? And how much was the LSD? Since my Golf and Saab will be declared total losses from a recent hail storm, I'm thinking of ordering the PD150's from Darkside. Aside from a dyno, I do ponder what the increase in torque would be, from the stated 157whp/304 lb ft that my Stage 4 tune is supposed to produce. Also thought of getting a 2260, but I honestly don't need more than 200HP (although the thought of it is pretty exciting).

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
What turbo do you have on your car? And how much was the LSD? Since my Golf and Saab will be declared total losses from a recent hail storm, I'm thinking of ordering the PD150's from Darkside. Aside from a dyno, I do ponder what the increase in torque would be, from the stated 157whp/304 lb ft that my Stage 4 tune is supposed to produce. Also thought of getting a 2260, but I honestly don't need more than 200HP (although the thought of it is pretty exciting).

If you aren't upgrading the turbo, they aren't really needed as the stockers, will easily support a maxed out stock turbo.

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
VNT17s max out at 24 PSI, just before BEW stock nozzles. Only way you're going to make considerably more power on PD150s is if you over-boost the turbo.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Hmm... now I'm starting to think I'd be better off doing a bigger turbo on the JSW instead of the mk4.

But, with PD150 and a bigger turbo, how much do I need to worry about EGTs as opposed to my current setup?

Owain@malonetuning

TDI
PD jetta wagon
Bigger turbo = more air moving through with less resistance = more cooler air to cool pistons. 1756 @ 28 PSI is about as brave as I'd go before throwing lots of money at parts. Should be fine for EGTs long as you're not rolling coal, light haze wide open will be fine long as you're not trying to race up mountains in 5th. Really like the reliability/simplicity of VNT17 MK4s though, hard to justify going further rather than just going to a mk2 AHU for weight reduction.

CP3 + 2260 + diff and a more aggressive DSG tune? :p

Last edited:

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Bigger turbo = more air moving through with less resistance = more cooler air to cool pistons. 1756 @ 28 PSI is about as brave as I'd go before throwing lots of money at parts. Should be fine for EGTs long as you're not rolling coal, light haze wide open will be fine long as you're not trying to race up mountains in 5th. Really like the reliability/simplicity of VNT17 MK4s though, hard to justify going further rather than just going to a mk2 AHU for weight reduction.
I actually enjoy rolling coal, but it has to be a rural Texas thing, because I know I'm not the only one. I usually go in 3rd or 4th up a steep incline, and I never use full throttle when towing a load.

So in your opinion, the VNT17 would be the most ideal turbo? Can I get a Stage 2 tune with the VNT17? I ask, because I just bought my third TDI today (2005 Jetta Wagon). Over time, I'll start doing some upgrades on that.

CP3 + 2260 + diff and a more aggressive DSG tune? :p
I didn't know there are more aggressive DSG tunes. My main complaint about the DSG tune from y'all is that when I get a little over redline, instead of cutting off fuel, the transmission practically disengages from the engine, so I either need to shift to neutral and back to drive, or come to a stop, shift to park, and back to drive.

Haven't thought of a LSD, but the CP3 and 2260 have been on my mind for a while now.

Owain@malonetuning

TDI
PD jetta wagon
From rural eastern Canada myself and used to have a jacked up mk2 aaz with a T3 and heavy fueling, know what you mean haha. Can't get away with that kind of stuff on the left coast though.

Yes you can run a VNT17 at an 18 PSI stage 2 tune no problem. Considering price, power, ease of install, and that it's an OEM option, VNT17 is where it's at for a simple reliable upgrade.

Yes we can customize DSG tunes and have been working on a lot of big power gas cars lately. Mark expanded a lot last year and we're just getting started. So you're saying it'll disengage at high RPM and not allow you to shift but instead forces you to neutral? feel free to shoot me an email at info@malonetuning.com with more info.

Lucas1976

TDI
With "Big" turbo 2260vk 2,5 bar peak 2,3 bar 44° duration 27° soi (@4000) ARL stock injectors is good for 240hp /500 nm but egt over 1000C. very low smoke after max boost

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI

I have a VNT-17/22 on my car and it's a really great turbo, but if I had to buy a new turbo for my car it would be a GTD1752vrk. Like so... http://www.turbo-upgrade.com/produse/ball-bearing-turbocharger-gtd1752vrk/131/

It would require some custom work to adapt it to your car, but it would have awesome response and be good for 200whp.

Another option would be the GTB1756vk, like so...http://www.darksidedevelopments.co.uk/products/left-hand-drive-lhd-gtb1756vk-budget-turbo-kit.html

An LSD can be purchased for right around $1,000 Wavetrac and Peloquin are the 2 most popular for our cars.

A GTB1756vk dyno http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=367841&highlight=Darkside
Another dyno thread with GTB1756vk http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=443494

My car http://www.darksidedevelopments.co.uk/jetta-bora-gls-1-9-8v-bew/
The closest thing I have to a build thread. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=265112

What you really need to decide is how much power you want and how much lag you're willing to deal with to get it. imo a GTB1756vk or GTD1752vrk are your best bet for decent response, but will still get you to that 200whp number you're after.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
imo a GTB1756vk or GTD1752vrk are your best bet for decent response, but will still get you to that 200whp number you're after.
I've been told that a GTC1549vz will do 200 whp and spools the same, if not faster than stock.

I have that turbo, Owain want's to dyno it and see what we can do, but that will be in the Spring/Summer.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Just put low mile PD150's in with the stock turbo, Malone tweaked the tune for them. Either my old injectors were completely worn out or these are that much better but the car is a whole new beast, its crazy how smooth it is and how much more power it has.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
I have no clue if my injectors are near being worn out or not. How would one determine if that were the case? I've thought about this upgrade again, but I'd really want an EGT gauge first, and next on the horizon for me is to put in a GTB2260 on my Mk6 (because 193whp isn't enough).

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Not sure, mine had 385K on them so from what I've read, 250-300 km's seems to be the life span. My 150's have 150K on them, from what I was told.

Guess you could get them tested, a local company can test them, might have one of mine checked for shtts and giggles.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
I found someone who has some PD150s for sale. No clue yet how many miles are on them, but hopefully he'll keep me updated when he gets them in from the UK.

With that said - and to recap - current setup is a DC Stage 2 clutch, VNT17 and Malone Stage 4. If I just stick in the PD150s without retuning the car, will it give a little bit more HP/torque? Or at least allow me to roll more coal on WOT? A modest HP improvement would be nice - like 5-15HP. I'm not looking for anything too crazy. I also wonder how worn my current injectors are, as the car is at 240K now; and a 2 week road trip in about a week will add another 5K to that number.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI

Owain@malonetuning

TDI
PD jetta wagon
Then yes, aggressive fueling on your current turbo will do that. Can always have Mark do more aggressive tunes than normal, the normal ones are typically a 50 state "friendly" reliability based tune. EGT and boost gauge will help keep it in one piece though that's for sure.

Last edited: