Britta...my MKVI Golf TDI

swcrow17

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
Picked up this MKVI with only 34k on it through Carmax…it was like finding a needle in a haystack as I was searching for GTIs…saw this and couldn’t pass it up. Big clincher was that it came with the tech package. Being a 21+ year VW vet, I already had some prescribed mods I wanted to do right off the bat. Family had HAD it with stage 3 cars (too stiff and loud), so this will not get as heavily modded (I say that now).

First mods were the euroswitch and VCDS changes (windows up/down from fob, DRLs off, 3-5 blink, steering wheel mute, etc). Then came the rack for me to continue biking….then the 872 fairing mod (measure twice, drill once for sure). Of course I like yellow fogs, so metalcast paint to the rescue.

Next up were the wheels and tires…..stockers came with 6/32 left, so I started looking immediately. Found a local set of Superleggera’s and had to snatch them up. Paired them with 235/45/17 DWS06 Conti’s.

That’s it for now…….will end up getting tint before summer, but this’ll do…….1” lower, maybe tune, 034Motorsport rear sway…….but who knows…such a slippery slope :D

Glad to be part of the diesel family!

newyorktdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
Nice car! I have barely used monster mats in great condition if you want to buy them. I'm trying to unload all my mods before I have VW buy back my car.

DerekG

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 4dr Golf TDI 6-speed manual
Car looks great! I almost went with that color before deciding on UGM.

Can you explain the fairing mod? I have a Thule fairing as well and I'm curious.

swcrow17

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
Last edited:

DerekG

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 4dr Golf TDI 6-speed manual

Yai

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI, 2014 Touareg- R Line
Very nice! Your roof rack is oem? I also did the Thule fairing attachment mod, and my fairing sits further back from the top of the windshield. Did you have to make any other adjustments to have it sit closer to the windshield? Also, did you have to "shape" the fairing to have all 4 brackets touch the roof?
I prefer the fairing to sit nicely as yours. Pic of mine is below. Any help and suggestions appreciated.
Ron
[/URL]

swcrow17

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
^ Interesting...the only thing that could really affect that is the length of the arm. Our front OEM rail can only sit in one location, due to the hole and insert that is part of the attaching arm over the A-pillar. Is yours an 872XT? Seems that you have more of a curve in the top center of yours than I do as well.

As far as shaping...didn't have to shape any of them except for the drivers side...I just used a wedge in between the arm and the OEM rail. That made it "sit" down.

Sidenote......I'm getting REALLY tired of my wheel gap......need a cup kit....lol

Last edited:

Yai

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes mine is an 872XT. I did a little more digging and saw some folks ended up using the claw part, where I just cut it off. I'll try wedging the outside arms, and see if that brings down the outer arms. Thanks!

And yes, I agree haha! I just ordered the ST coilovers, trying to take advantage of the ST rebate that was running for April. There is a guys selling ST coil over over on the vortex forums, in the diesel classifieds. Looks in pretty good shape. He was asking $400 shipped, not too bad?

^ Interesting...the only thing that could really affect that is the length of the arm. Our front OEM rail can only sit in one location, due to the hole and insert that is part of the attaching arm over the A-pillar. Is yours an 872XT? Seems that you have more of a curve in the top center of yours than I do as well.

As far as shaping...didn't have to shape any of them except for the drivers side...I just used a wedge in between the arm and the OEM rail. That made it "sit" down.

Sidenote......I'm getting REALLY tired of my wheel gap......need a cup kit....lol

swcrow17

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
Yes mine is an 872XT. I did a little more digging and saw some folks ended up using the claw part, where I just cut it off. I'll try wedging the outside arms, and see if that brings down the outer arms. Thanks!

And yes, I agree haha! I just ordered the ST coilovers, trying to take advantage of the ST rebate that was running for April. There is a guys selling ST coil over over on the vortex forums, in the diesel classifieds. Looks in pretty good shape. He was asking $400 shipped, not too bad?
Wait...I cut the claw ends off as well, so that's not it. Weird. I had run ST's on my old passat for awhile....not bad, but looking at HR cup kit now.

Yai

Veteran Member
TDI
Wait...I cut the claw ends off as well, so that's not it. Weird. I had run ST's on my old passat for awhile....not bad, but looking at HR cup kit now.
Well yours look perfect while mine looks weird lol!

Last edited: