Upgrading 2001 Golf TDI

bobbiemartin

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Tiguan TDI 4Motion, Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD
This was the daughter's car. We bought it in 2006 from the original owner. She drove it all through college and a few years after she graduated. It's a automatic and yes we had to replace the transmission once.

She finally bought a new car so Dad got the Golf. I have a fair amount of upgrades planned, not the least is a 6 speed and some performance mods. It may be a while before I can get to it, but here it is.

Last edited:

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
She should have kept it and had you put in the 6spd for her birthday. I've always been partial to a black vehicle. Congrats on the nice looking new car.

bobbiemartin

Veteran Member
TDI
Things are going slow, but I'm accumulating parts. I have done a few things, R32 headlights with glass lenses and, new radio and temporarily, a set of Key West wheels.

Last edited:

bobbiemartin

Veteran Member
TDI
I've had a little delay. During Hurricane Matthew a tree fell on both TDIs. The Golf only sustained minor damage. It's at the body shop now being repaired.

Last edited:

MattRabbit

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE TDI, 2014 Beetle TDI, 1981 Rabbit Diesel
Ouch! I hope the damage was superficial.

I'd like to see what radio you put in. One thing I've been thinking about doing with my 2001 is upgrade the stock stereo to something more current. What keeps me from doing so is having all the same functionality with the computer.

bobbiemartin

Veteran Member
TDI
Ouch! I hope the damage was superficial.
It wasn't too bad.

I'd like to see what radio you put in. One thing I've been thinking about doing with my 2001 is upgrade the stock stereo to something more current. What keeps me from doing so is having all the same functionality with the computer.
I went with this one . It's a factory radio, I think for a Mexican market VW. MP3, Bluetooth, RDS. Plugs right in on a 2001 MKIV.

Last edited:

bobbiemartin

Veteran Member
TDI
02M 6 Speed

Starting to make some progress. Got the 02M 6 speed apart and cleaned up. I bought a Peloquin differential. The ring gear is installed and shimmed the diff bearings today. I did the shift fork mod while it was apart. Should have the gearbox back together soon!

Last edited:

leon10tagg

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf 90bhp ALH tdi, 2002 Golf PD100, 2004 Passat 1.9PD AWX, 2001 Golf 4-Motion, 1997 Audi A4 1.8t sport, 1998 Subaru Impreza 2.0t WRX
What is the shift fork mod?

JohnnyCanuck.Comox

TDI
2004 Golf GLS
Really like what you've done. I want a couple of things you've done for myself so I was glad to see them in your thread: The upgraded radio and the headlights. Looking forward to when you get it back together.

bobbiemartin

Veteran Member
TDI
Got the gearbox assembled today.

All the gears, Peloquin and modified shift forks.

And the assembled 6 speed box. The shift arm is a short throw VW part from a Golf R. Also replaced the bearing in the shift tower and the shoulder bolt for the shift gate as it was worn.

Last edited:

TDIL3dad

Veteran Member
TDI
96 B4, 96 B4V project
Things are going slow, but I'm accumulating parts. I have done a few things, R32 headlights with glass lenses and, new radio and temporarily, a set of Key West wheels.
Did you get the built-in fog lights to work?
Did you have to add harness? Switch?

I helped a friend install similar headlights in his 2001 US-spec Cabrio, sourced a switch with fog light function, and everything works as it should minus the fog lights. His Cabrio does not have the harness.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

bobbiemartin

Veteran Member
TDI
Did you get the built-in fog lights to work?
Did you have to add harness? Switch?.
The lights will plug into the existing harness but to get the fog lights to work you will need some wiring and a switch with the fog light position. I prefer the Euro switch so you can eliminate the DRLs and have parking lights. The easiest way to wire it up is with a fog light wiring kit, but you can round up everything and do it without if you are cheap and/or adventurous. If the new lights have city lights you may need to rewire the connector, I don't remember. Finally if you are using old lights there is a good chance the internal wire insulation is breaking off. Fixmyvw has replacement wiring harnesses for the internal harnesses.

bobbiemartin

Veteran Member
TDI
Did quite a bit this weekend. Took the auto shifter out and installed the manual shifter. I took it apart, cleaned & re-greased it and installed Dieselgeek bushings in the shift cable ends before installation.

A few things removed here, but lots more to remove!

Installed a VNT17 Turbo...

and a PD150 inlet manifold.

Still a lot of work ahead. Suspension, more engine stuff and the interior.

Last edited:

bobbiemartin

Veteran Member
TDI
Making some progress. A few things done on the engine, got the injectors out ready to send in for new nozzles. Worked on the heater/ac box, its just about ready.

The before picture

The after, ready to go back together. New Behr AC evaporator. I need a long cable tie for the drip shield and it will be done.

Inside the car. Looks a mess! AC box & dash out, shifter in, auto brake pedal replaced with a manual brake pedal.

Last edited:

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7

And this is the upgraded switch with fog Light position:

Maybe I missed something, but that looks like an MK3.5 dash from a Cabrio??

I really like the dimple dash they had, but haven't seen/heard where that can be fitted into an MK4??

TDIL3dad

Veteran Member
TDI
96 B4, 96 B4V project
Maybe I missed something, but that looks like an MK3.5 dash from a Cabrio??

I really like the dimple dash they had, but haven't seen/heard where that can be fitted into an MK4??
Car is a US spec 2001 Cabrio.

bobbiemartin

Veteran Member
TDI
Made some good progress this weekend.

Climatronic evaporator installed

Clutch pedal and manual brake pedal. New pedal pads are on order.

New rear main seal.

Sachs PD150 clutch

O2M gearbox installed. Injectors are out and headed to DBW for an upgrade. I swapped out the automatic water neck for a proper manual setup. I never liked the plastic one anyway!

I'm changing to Audi TT front suspension. The Audi front subframe has stiffer subframe bushings and has a couple of extra braces. I decided not to use them as fitting them to the Golf floor was going to be a bit of a project. I do think it was worth changing it for the TT subframe bushings.

I also am installing a quick ratio R32 steering rack. Here it is ready to go in the car. The rubber steering rack mount was replaced with a Powerflex bushing.

And the subframe in with the Audi TT lower control arms. They got new (stock) Audi TT rear bushings.
That's it for this week. Hope to get the suspension buttoned up next week.

Last edited:

bobbiemartin

Veteran Member
TDI
Got a bit more done this weekend.

The suspension is in, I'm waiting on some new fasteners to finish it up. Went with Bilstein TC struts and shocks, Shine Real Street springs. I used Cupra R (1ML412331) strut mounts. Hopefully it won't be too stiff!

Installed the Darkside uprated side mount intercooler.

And a trial fit of the intercooler hoses.

Last edited:

bobbiemartin

Veteran Member
TDI
Got a bit more work done. Lots of little time consuming stuff.

Installed an R32 air duct and related parts. Should provide plenty of air!

Finished up the front suspension. Yes there should be brake rotors here but somehow I ended up with 4 rears and no front rotors! Got a pair headed this way. I went with 1.8T 288mm rotors & calipers. The TT suspension came with 312mm brakes but they seemed a bit overkill - not to mention very heavy. These are marginally larger rotors but much larger pad surface. I think they should be fine.

Got most of the hoses in. Test fitting the PD150 TIP & MAF. Injectors are due in Tuesday. Getting closer!

Last edited:

bobbiemartin

Veteran Member
TDI
Got a bit more done.

Ordered front rotors (this time), so got the front brakes done.

Installed APR head studs.

Got the injectors from DBW. Went with DLC 764 nozzles. Also installed a new valve cover as the old one was seeping a bit of oil. A few more things and hopefully start it up next week.

Last edited: