The Go-Kart: A College Budget Build

dutch.mafia

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
Any noticeable change with the old man intake?
Sad story about that actually...it doesn't fit very well at all. I will be sending it out for a refund/return on Monday. I'm not sure It was fabricated "correctly". I couldn't get the air box to line up with the coupler after the turbo side was on.

If I was sent an incorrect one, I would like the correct replacement. Otherwise I might just fab one up myself with aluminum intercooler tube. If I go that route, I will keep you all posted.

There definitely will be a difference in air delivery when replaced, as the hard plastic (the portion behind the EGR and attached to the turbo) is quite small in diameter. In fact, I can actually close my hand around the pipe in a few places and touch my thumb and index finger together.

dutch.mafia

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
I ended up selling the lowering springs I bought for the car, because I found a bike! If anyone is interested in that build, I can post progress pictures here. Otherwise I plan on starting a thread over on dotheton or viragotechforum.

Here is my starting platform:

And here is (hopefully) the end result:

boisebiker

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Jetta 428k, 1997 Passat 230k
Please post a link to the bike build, it would be a treat to follow another one of your build projects. Hopefully you apply as much attention to detail to your schooling as you do your hobby.

dutch.mafia

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
Please post a link to the bike build, it would be a treat to follow another one of your build projects. Hopefully you apply as much attention to detail to your schooling as you do your hobby.
I will do that! Glad to know someone is interested.

I would like to say that's the case...lol. I do still make the deans list every semester, but I definitely don't enjoy school as much as these hobbies. At least I'm smart enough to realize I won't be able to have hobbies if I don't get a good education.

CrustyOreo

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2 Door 6MT
After being on plenty of bikes, I can honestly say shaft drive is the most awkward form of propulsion on 2 wheels. You can feel the bike try to torque over. Esp on a cafe style like that.

dutch.mafia

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
Washed, clay bar-ed (barred?), and waxed my car the other day. Mmmm.

Only to wake up to this. Thanks Wisconsin...

A picture of my girlfriend's driver's side mirror from that same day...

Louis_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf Gls
Lol Dindn't you know clean cars attract snow and rain. Looks good btw well before the snow that is.

dutch.mafia

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
Lol Dindn't you know clean cars attract snow and rain. Looks good btw well before the snow that is.
And salt unfortunately, especially with a black car. Oh well. Thanks for the kind words. Needs a few more things for me to be completely happy with the appearance, but hey, not a bad transformation in my opinion.

duwem

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI 5 Speed
Need moar lo, shoulda put the spring on ;)

dutch.mafia

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
Great job. Looks awesome. Need to polish up that driver's side headlight and I think it looks complete!
When I had the rusty fenders fixed they actually polished them for me (so that one is clear, just covered in snow/ice). The plastic doesn't hold a clean polish very well. I actually have glass lenses that came with the car, just haven't had time (or taken the time rather) to replace them. This summer I think I will replace the struts and springs (lowered springs), and have the rock chips fixed. Then it's pretty much complete. Thanks for the kind words!

MRR

TDI
2001 GTI GLX BEW swap
Nice build. I have a black 2 door with tan and black interior that also got hit in the same place. This build shows me there is hope for my car :cool:

dutch.mafia

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
Nice build. I have a black 2 door with tan and black interior that also got hit in the same place. This build shows me there is hope for my car :cool:
Hey thanks! It still isn't quite where I want it to be, but with some work (and lots of money sometimes) it will eventually get there.