The Go-Kart: A College Budget Build

dutch.mafia

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
Haven't done a whole lot lately. Removed that retched dogbone mount, and replaced it with a new aftermarket OEM density. I think I lost about 9 teeth from that poly mount. I have also upgraded the factory front speakers to some Kicker Components with an amp. Tinted the windows as well, and added a windshield drop - 30% window tint all around, 5% drop.

I also attended the Green Bay dyno day set up by 3L3M3NT. I am quite disappointed in my numbers as well as the Beyond Redline staff. They were extremely rude and I will never go there again.

Only pulled out 111hp from the ALH. Quite a lot lower than expected. Needless to say a retune is in my future.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H57kN-xFHIw&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI
111hp is far from this claim.
"He said it was dynoed at around 180hp, 320tq to the wheels, but did not have the paperwork to prove it."

Apparently either the guy you bought it from is a complete liar or the dyno he used was really generous.

I agree that the guys at Beyond Redline were a$$holes. Rude is an understatement and I'm with you on never going back there again.

Looking forward to seeing what you have in store.

dutch.mafia

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
111hp is far from this claim.
Funny story about that actually. I didn't understand him correctly when he said that. Kerma said with the tune he had, that should put him at that power level. Needless to say, he wasn't in the least bit happy, and I may be getting a tune out of it.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Nice looking Golf. I would keep an eye on the quarter panel repair, especially on the bottom underneath. I've found body shops don't always get the underside covered as well as it needs to be, that area is in the direct path of anything thrown by the front wheel.

Steve

dutch.mafia

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
Nice looking Golf. I would keep an eye on the quarter panel repair, especially on the bottom underneath. I've found body shops don't always get the underside covered as well as it needs to be, that area is in the direct path of anything thrown by the front wheel.

Steve
Thanks for the heads-up. They did "cheap out" a little on the repair as I had to foot the bill (driver that caused the accident didn't pay for anything). When I say "cheap out" I don't mean they didn't fix it, but a full repair would have been $3,500. He did respray some rock chip prevention on both sides though. Should hold up fine.

TNguy

Banned
TDI
2005 Jetta BEW 5 speed
So you have a 150+ HP kit from Kerma and you dynoed 111hp?

TNguy

Banned
TDI
2005 Jetta BEW 5 speed
Yep, sweet right?
They more than likely gave you the wrong tune on the Q loader. Like a stage 1 instead of 3 or 4 (Kerma doesn't have "stages")

Good thing you caught the mistake on the dyno

Edit: I just watched your dyno video, next time get them to either put another fan or move that fan in front of the intercooler, which is on the side of the car. No air moving through the intercooler will cause high intake air temps which then makes your car cut back fueling. That probably cost you a few hp but not 40hp lol

Last edited:

TNguy

Banned
TDI
2005 Jetta BEW 5 speed
Thats what it sounded like to me as well :confused:

I'd be a bit pissed if that was the case.
Pissed isn't even the beginning of it lol

I would want a new, correct tune. AND a free dyno to prove they sent the right one

dutch.mafia

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
They more than likely gave you the wrong tune on the Q loader. Like a stage 1 instead of 3 or 4 (Kerma doesn't have "stages")

Good thing you caught the mistake on the dyno

Edit: I just watched your dyno video, next time get them to either put another fan or move that fan in front of the intercooler, which is on the side of the car. No air moving through the intercooler will cause high intake air temps which then makes your car cut back fueling. That probably cost you a few hp but not 40hp lol
I'm working on getting it retuned. After spending roughly $3k, you would hope for more than 16hp over stock...right? Maybe I'm crazy. haha. But yes, I didn't even think about the placement of the fan being by the intercooler as it was fairly "cool" outside ~65 degrees I think. But no movement in air with an air to air IC isn't going to help me.

Pissed isn't even the beginning of it lol

I would want a new, correct tune. AND a free dyno to prove they sent the right one
Sounds fair to me. Kerma does offer lifetime "free retunes". You have to buy their stuff to get the free portion - which I guess is fair. But starting off with that power level with a tune isn't what's expected either.

You would almost expect that power increase by just adding some fuel with larger injectors IMO. Now add in higher boost pressures and a VNT17, and tune it. That should put you at about 130-40 I would hope.

TNguy

Banned
TDI
2005 Jetta BEW 5 speed
Exactly!

Do you have VCDS? After you get the retune, send some logs to Charlie and he'll adjust your tune specifically for your car.

I'm hoping to get mine on a dyno in two weeks. I'm hoping to put up 160-165hp but we'll see

dutch.mafia

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
Exactly!

Do you have VCDS? After you get the retune, send some logs to Charlie and he'll adjust your tune specifically for your car.

I'm hoping to get mine on a dyno in two weeks. I'm hoping to put up 160-165hp but we'll see
I don't have VCDS unfortunately. But will keep that in mind.

Looking at your sig, that sounds pretty attainable. Good luck!

duwem

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI 5 Speed
When is the mor low and $$ wheels coming? Might be able to pick up a set of wheels before/during winter for cheaper.

dutch.mafia

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
When is the mor low and $$ wheels coming? Might be able to pick up a set of wheels before/during winter for cheaper.
I'm looking, but I'm extremely picky. I'm trying to get used wheels and tires. I want 18x8 +35 for a wheel setup, preferably some OZ Ultraleggera's. But they are not that easy to come by in decent shape. Suspension will be next summer when I'm working full time- I'll be buying CXRacing Coilovers.

I'm more looking for a bike right now and they're easier to come by. But again, I ONLY want an 81-82 Yamaha Virago (because they're mono-shock). I want to cafe it like Greg Hageman's style.

If only I wasn't so picky...

CrustyOreo

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2 Door 6MT
Came to post:

1. I really dislike the two tone interior. But you've fixed that.

2. Holy low miles bat man

3. 150HP+ "Kit" and you only got 111? Jeez man.

4. Nice to see another 2 door.

dutch.mafia

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
Came to post:

1. I really dislike the two tone interior. But you've fixed that.

2. Holy low miles bat man

3. 150HP+ "Kit" and you only got 111? Jeez man.

4. Nice to see another 2 door.
1. Eventually I want a full 20th interior.

2. The guy I bought it from only put on ~7,000 miles from 2009 to when I bought it this year.

3. Yeah....

4. I only bought it because it was 2 door and black. I've got a special spot for them. But, they come second to blue lagoon color...mmmm.

CrustyOreo

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2 Door 6MT
I found R32 front seats for $250 for my pile and OEM stainless pedals from the dealer for like a $100. Best mods I've done to be honest, the pedals really do help when it's wet out.

I'd like to find R32 rear seats eventually. Otherwise I don't think the interior needs any bling or whatever else comes with a 20th.

dutch.mafia

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
I found R32 front seats for $250 for my pile and OEM stainless pedals from the dealer for like a $100. Best mods I've done to be honest, the pedals really do help when it's wet out.

I'd like to find R32 rear seats eventually. Otherwise I don't think the interior needs any bling or whatever else comes with a 20th.
I already have the 20th aluminum pedals - found those on eBay for about $100 as well. I want the Recaro 20th seats over the R32 seats. But I'll never find those for $250. Not sure how you got 'em for that cheap.

dutch.mafia

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
Dropped a big chunk of change this weekend on the car. I drove down to Chicago on Friday because I found a pretty good deal on 20th seats, BBS RC reps, and a 20th front lip. Got pounded with snow, so it probably wasn't the best idea to make a 400+ mile round trip (we got about 8 inches from when I left at 3:30 PM and got back Saturday morning at 1:00 AM). Car does pretty good in the snow, but not well when it's 8 inches of snow, on an unplowed back road...

In case anyone is wondering, you CAN fit 3 front seats, a set of back seats, 4 18" wheels with tires, a large subwoofer box, tool kit, front bumper, and a driver "comfortably" inside a 2 door Golf. :D

Pictures to come when I get the seats cleaned (bought from a smoker).

MattRabbit

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE TDI, 2014 Beetle TDI, 1981 Rabbit Diesel
Holy crap, that's a lot of stuff to cram in there! I always thought my Golf was a bit of a Tardis. Bigger on the inside than outside! :D

dutch.mafia

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
Looks good all cleaned up. ;)
Did you get a start on cleaning the new interior yet?
Yeah...I guess I didn't clean it did I? haha.

I have the seats installed and vacuumed, but not cleaned with the carpet/steam cleaner. I will be doing that over Christmas break.

I've been on a buying binge lately for this car. Today I purchased an OMI from Kerma, a few oil filters, and a serpentine belt. Sometimes it's hard to remember I'm in college and can't just blow all of my money...

dutch.mafia

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
It's been a really productive weekend so far. I changed all of my vacuum hoses in the engine bay, replaced the serpentine belt, changed the fuel filter and ran some diesel purge through it, and installed the DieselGeek Panzer Plate I bought on Tuesday night. Some fast shipping on that! Shipped out on Wednesday from Texas and I had it by 1:45 PM today. Now if my Kerma intake would ever come in the mail..

After changing the oil last weekend, I went through all of the receipts that came with the car and created an Excel spreadsheet to keep track of all of the maintenance.

dutch.mafia

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
Just finished re-flashing my ECU with a tune from Kerma. It feels way more powerful and I have a lot more boost, and definitely way sooner. I can't even keep traction in second gear at all. On quick on ramp acceleration (WOT), I can now be up to ~80 MPH by the time I'm on the highway. Previously I was ~65 MPH. This is a very short on ramp. Every gear has full boost (25 PSI) and holds basically all day. I can't tell you how happy I am with it. I highly recommend Kerma for parts and their customer service is A+.

Last edited:

dutch.mafia

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
Yes it is. I can edit the soft coding to Max Fuel MAF based, or MAFless based. Still trying to decide on which to choose. Lots of researching to come...