2015 TornadoRed TDI Golf Sportwagen- On the Road

Groundhog

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI SEL
Just picked up my 2015 Sportwagen yesterday - looking forward to many, many roadtrips :)
These and a few more are posted at https://www.flickr.com/photos/10968031@N02/17128582650/in/photostream/

[/URL][/img]
Above: reconstructed 18th-century windmill- Yorktown, Virginia

[/URL][/img]
Above: Yorktown Battlefield Earthworks
[/URL][/img]
Above: Yorktown Victory Monument

[/URL][/img]
Above: Yorktown- Coleman Bridge and York River beach

[/URL][/img]
Above: Yorktown Victory Monument

Last edited:

Groundhog

TDI
[/URL][/img]
Quality Oil Shell Station, Winston-Salem, North Carolina. There were originally eight of these programatic/mimetic scallop-shaped stations built around town. This is the last one, now home to a regional preservation office. No diesel to be had here (or gas anymore, for that matter)
[/URL][/img]
[/URL][/img]

Last edited:

skramer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE 6MT
Looks good in red! I was wondering when a red GSW would show up. One of my top colors for the GSW

Groundhog

TDI
Thanks:) Definitely enjoying the car so far! Having a great time this weekend Around Bryson City, Deal's Gap and Tellico Plains in western NC and eastern TN. Drove the Dragon, US 129 yesterday. Still need to upload the photos. Here's one of Fontana Lake from the 6-mile "The Road to Nowhere" aka 'the broken promise' yesterday evening. More on the road here: http://www.westernncattractions.com/the-road-to-nowhere/
[/URL][/img]

And here's a group shot with Beetle friends from Oklahoma and Ohio (see.. the red can blend in, just depends on the company:) )
[/URL][/img]

Last edited:

Groundhog

TDI
[/URL][/img]
One from the Dragon. Will post a couple I ordered from the Dragon photographers tomorrow. It is beautiful country:)

Last edited:

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
When I saw that shell my first thought was go and get a photo next to the old turbine blade off of Grand Father Mtn(from the test power generation turbine in the 1970s) that is in front of the Winston nature and science museum.

Then a short high speed run up to the pilot mtn road exit for a run to the top. Both local gems are just off of US 52 freeway north of winston-salem.

Both of these places are right next to the freeway and are only a hop skip & jump @ 65-70 mph up US 52........

You always see wildlife on that drive up Pilot mountain road. And it is always fun to climb up to the high place across from the knob. you can see for hundreds of miles all around on a clear good day......When I was living in Winston I would go up there all the time just to get away from it all........

Groundhog

TDI
I'll have to check it out- thanks! I lived in Clemmons on the other side of Winston from 89-99 and only went to Pilot Mountain a couple times early on- don't recall the turbine blade. I'm headed to Germany tomorrow out of Charlotte but I might try to get to Pilot Mountain on my way back to Virginia in June.

TDIwagon17

TDI
2009 TDI sportswagon 6spd
I love the first pic with the windmill - its small red accents go great with your new ride! While I'm not big on red cars I think yours looks great! Enjoy!

Groundhog

TDI
Kind of amazed that the wind diffuser hasn't been wiped out by a bumblebee yet...
[/URL][/img]

At an old Pure Station called Pure Eats in Lexington, VA that sells nice burgers and homemade donuts
[/URL][/img]

Petersburg, Virginia- part of ongoing restoration efforts in town
[/URL][/img]

Near Buena Vista, VA- coffee pot cafe/store
[/URL][/img]

Last edited:

Groundhog

TDI

It's been a little over a year since I brought home the Sportwagen, 34 states, and 31,000 miles... Time to start sharing some pictures again��

Groundhog

TDI
Nevada

Oatman , Arizona- where the burros rule

End of the Trail- Santa Monica Pier
[/url][/IMG]

Last edited:

Groundhog

TDI
Lots more pics from Rte 66, Hwy 1, New England, etc. to come this weekend. The Sportwagen is named Sinclair like the gas stations, so here's an appropriately red and green shot from last week

NoFuiYo

TDI
None :'(
whoa:eek: 34 states!! That's the way to do it! I have only done 9 states and 22K miles in 8 months and I am loving it!! I am sure my TDI as well as yours get very excited when they hear the words road trip:D I can imagine my car wagging its tail every time we go on one.. We are going to FL next week and I can't hardly wait!!! ... Beautiful car btw!!!

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
.......little yellow coupe - Oregon plates - looks like a Karmann-Ghia (kinda sorta).........

Thanks for the sharp - well composed pix...........

ez

DerekG

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 4dr Golf TDI 6-speed manual
Nice pics! I also drove Tail of the Dragon on the way home to Oklahoma after picking up the car in Baltimore.

Groundhog

TDI
Thanks! I stopped in Jacksonville on the way back from the west coast but that's as far into Florida as the car has made it to date- would like to go down to the Tin Can Tourists meet in Bradenton sometime and of course plenty of sightseeing.
Thanks also on the photos, ez ;)
That is definitely a Ghia at the Wigwam hotel, one of a dozen or so vintage and antique cars they use to decorate the property (many are also drivers). There is a cool little VW shop down the street with some one-off creations as well

Groundhog

TDI
Breakfast at Randy's- Inglewood, CA

Paul Bunyan at Trees of Mystery, Klamath, CA

Road to Oatman, AZ (wonderful drive). This is high desert and on the left, in 105 degree heat, is a natural spring with a resident goldfish population descended from some traveler's pet fish :)

Groundhog

TDI
Lots of road trip pictures I haven't posted:)

Sinclair and Felix, my '99 2.0 Beetle, purchased 1998:

Chopstick, my '80 Westy playing 'storage unit' to a poster printer I picked up from the thrift store

Last edited:

Groundhog

TDI
the restored Lincoln Motor Court on the Lincoln Highway, Rte. 30, west of Bedford, PA

ice cream stop along the Lincoln Highway

sneaking up a trail along the Kennebec River in Maine

After coming down from Mt. Washington, NH