99.5 2.0 Golf Build

bgsnyder

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Golf & 2005 Passat
New CCV puck thanks to INA. Need to tidy up the engine bay a little bit more and rig up my catch can once it gets warmer out.

bgsnyder

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Golf & 2005 Passat
INA is a vendor on the site. He just had these made. It replaces the crank case vent and there is a filter pad in there to scrub out extra oil. I will still be running an oil catch can eventually.

bgsnyder

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Golf & 2005 Passat
A long time coming, R32 front bumper, 20th Anniversary Rear. Got GLI sides to still go on.

Broke the corners of my tail lights getting them off to put the bumper on, but Black Forest had these on clearance so they're ordered.

Then it is all getting plasti dipped this color until I can afford a real paint job.

BlankThis

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI
I love GLI skirts on 4 doors. I'm going to try and find some and black texturize them to match my stock front and rear lips.

What suspension are you using? Looks like GLI/GTI height in the front but you have a bit of reverse rake.

The engine bay is gorgeous :)

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI
Once painted, your car will look great with the R32 bumper, GLI side skirts, and 20th Anniversary Rear bumper.

You sticking with the factory color or do you have something else in mind?

bgsnyder

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Golf & 2005 Passat
Yeah I want to stick with the factory color. At first I didn't really think much about it, but that green really grew on me. Espically all cleaned up.

bgsnyder

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Golf & 2005 Passat
Had a very good weekend. I got my new fender on to replace the one that was dented by a deer before I bought the car. Notched the bumper a little bit to make it fit behind the intercooler better. Swapped out the tail lights. But most importantly I put the nozzles I was told "didn't work" on a spare set of injector bodies and swapped them in, and all of my problems have gone away.

A little back story. When I was having all my major work done I also sent my nozzles off to be installed and calibrated. I was told 3 just leaked fuel and wouldn't pop clean, and the third popped good, but didn't flow nearly enough fuel. I was sold a separate set of nozzles that I was assured would flow the same amount of fuel.

After my engine was rebuilt I was having all sorts of problems. I wasn't getting any boost, no power. Figured out if I unplugged the MAF sensor it started driving a little more normal. At this point I have been going back and forth with the tuner trying to figure out what is causing this issue, but it is drivable. On the interstate I have to give it about half throttle to get it to accelerate. Boost can jump to 20+psi, but I barely move in 5th or 6th, and I've never been able to get any smoke from these nozzles. It just seems like it is under-fueled, but I was assured the nozzles I purchased would flow the same so I kept banging my head against the wall. They should know, they calibrated them, right?

At this point I got so fed up with the way it was driving I bought a separate set of injectors. Friday I swapped the injectors with the nozzles I was told "didn't work" and installed them in the car. Took it for a drive, and the car is a rocket. Finally it is running like it should. Then Sunday I took it for another drive and though "I wonder if I can plug the MAF sensor back in?". Up to this point I need to have it unplugged otherwise it would barely move then at about 3000 RPM it would kind of take off, but would go to limp mode after a minute or two of driving. Sure enough I plugged it back in, cleared the check engine light, and it hasn't been back. And it still drives like it should.

duwem

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI 5 Speed
Cool, are those all oem body parts, or some aftermarket. I picked up a ROUGH OEM R front bumper, not worried about the rest yet till I get to working on that.

bgsnyder

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Golf & 2005 Passat
Got the car plasti dipped. Came out pretty good. A little lighter than I expected. Yesterday I took it for the first drive and a couple blocks from my house a little back girl yelled "Thats a dope ass car bro". So that made me feel pretty good. :D

bgsnyder

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Golf & 2005 Passat
The car has been running great lately, so I decided to check group 13 on VCDS. I was told 3 nozzles gush fuel and 1 pops, but flows less than a stock .184 nozzle. There should be a pretty obvious difference between them then right?
DSSR Nozzles:

Hmmm, that doesn't look too bad for nozzles that were just thrown on injector bodies, especially when I was told how terrible they were. Just for kicks I saw if I had a group 13 log from when I had the balanced nozzles. Sure enough I did.
"Calibrated and Balanced Nozzles"

Unless I am confused about how it is logged, and I may be, these look out of balance.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
What happened to your other nozzle thread? I thought you would have updated that by now?

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
BTW group 013 is a measure of crank acceleration per rotation of the engine - every rev you have a power stroke, so each power stroke should accelerate exactly at the same acceleration if the entire engine was perfectly balanced. Its not only an injector balance measurement - worn rings in one cylinder could cause it to read high on a cylinder. In your case, I'm sure its the "calibrated" injectors that are your real problem.

Injectors cannot be calibrated for flow on a hand pumped pop tester, simply pumping faster or having it pop earlier in the stroke will cause it to dump more fuel in that stroke. Its a flawed test method. The only way to measure flow is pressure and time, which cannot be done on a pop tester.

Your "unbalanced" injectors work better because the balance from the factory is better than your "calibrated" injectors.

duwem

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI 5 Speed
Meh on plastidip. I did my rub strips and got some diesel on the one pulling the nozel out and it took the dip off...I have a feeling your going to have a mess to deal with in the future...

bgsnyder

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Golf & 2005 Passat
I know I have to be careful when filling up, plus a couple hundred bucks to get everything the same color while saving up for a real paint job is worth it to me. It is not going to be permanent.

bgsnyder

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Golf & 2005 Passat
I have no clue. I wasn't even getting on it, just mildly accelerating on to the highway, but I assume the timing jumped. Timing belt barely has any miles on it, but its all torn up, and it seemed a bit loose. Tensioner looked like it was still tight.

bgsnyder

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Golf & 2005 Passat
Took another look after I got it towed to my parent's place. Rear cover broke where the tensioner arm goes in to the hole.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
That does not look good. I think the best plan of action is to figure out how far it skipped and if it actually did wreck anything. No sense in parting out a car you just dumped a ton of money into!